Homemade power poles

Bigbobdallas

Seaman
I was just wandering if anyone out there has made them some DIY power poles for fishing. Is so any pics would help if at all possible

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Homemade power poles

Don't know what you mean by "power poles", Bob. Please explain.

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Homemade power poles

Well, if you're talking about manual "power" poles, that's easy. When I used to fish in a back bay in Morro Bay, CA, I just carried a 10' long piece of aluminum tubing, sharpened on one end with a 45 degree cut. It was carried in spring clips on the port gunwale of my jon boat. When I needed to hold position, I'd grab it and stick it through the handle on the transom and shove it into the muck. It held really well. On the other end was a duckfoot pusher, so I could pole through shallow water. For easy grippability, the whole thing was taped up with electrician's friction tape.

Flats boaters have been doing this forever. Those $1000 power poles have always seemed to me to be a product looking for customers and something else to stick on a $50,000 bass boat. Nice, but...

P.S.: I wonder if anyone besides me has fished for bonefish in California. The flats in Morro Bay had 'em, but I've never met anyone else who fished for them. Just like Florida.