Adding Ballast to bow to level boat (pics)

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, I just put in my project boat, with a newer motor (replaced the old force 125). I put the boat in the slip, and tied up. The boat sits high in the water, especially the bow. If you look at the stern picture,http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/IMG_1028.jpg you will think its stern heavy, the boat is listing to starboard, but the only thing on that side storage is the oil tank, fuel separators and battery switch (batteries are in the bow). If I stand on the bow, the stern levels out and the black bottom paint is actual 2-3 inches higher. Thinking its the new motor, but the force was little more then 300lbs and the johnson should be 360? I'm no light weight, so 250 lbs levels the boat.

Now the cuddy is bare, when I got the boat, it was already stripped so its probable the removed items is the reason.

THe other pictures show how high the bow is sitting. http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/IMG_1027.jpg

Any suggestions? I have some old marine batteries, I was going to place up front just see how it levels out. I think with the boat being underload with weight is actually makeing the boat bob up and down like a cork, instead of gently moving from waves.

Last picture was testing the motor, thats 30mph, almost 8mph more then the old force and about 3/4 throttle.. http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx295/sammywell2009/IMG_1023.jpg

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Adding Ballast to bow to level boat (pics)

I would try rearranging current weight first-move batteries forward, change where gear is stowed etc, then start making useful weight increases-add more chain to the anchor rode, add another anchor, battery, or better yet both etc. long before considering ballasting, but i see little wrong with her stance:confused:

And something about that splashwell/transom arrangement looks a little odd to me but if its lasted this long without issue...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Depending on how much structure was in the cuddy, the lack of it may be tour problem. If you plan on building back in, I would put some well secured temporary ballast up front, until you get the work done.

???

RoyR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Really bad wake for wakeboarding :)

Mizzie

Cadet

Stance looks fine to me, from the pictures atleast..

I always like my bow a little higher in the front.. if you add weight to the front and you yourself need to fish or throw anchor up front then your going to think you need ballast in the back haha it's always been my understanding that bows sit higher in the water i've never seen a perfectly leveled horizontal boat. I understand your want to fix it.. but like everyone says try moving stuff around.. and the cuddy materials depending what you removed could easily be a good 150-200 pounds.

About the picture of the stern.. looks to me like the line on the starboard side was tensed up tight pulling that side down and the port side line looks a little slacked allowing that side to sit higher, that would definetly make one side lower than the other at the dock.. does it look like this when it's not tied up? if it does then that looks like a simply fix of moving batterys or anything to that matter...

worse comes to worse, catch more stripers and throw em to one side..:D

good luck, nice looking boat.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

There's nothing wrong with the stance that I can see. Who cares how it sits at rest?

What's its attitude when you're underway? That's the important thing. Moving weight around just to make it more "esthetically pleasing" at the dock is a bad idea if the boat is balanced under power.

My .02

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi, thanks for the comments, under power the boat is fine, it does lift the bow high, then drop down when on plane. The splash well I hate, always has water splashing over, they designed it with so little height over the water line.

I see the line is tight, didn't catch that, good eye. I have the batteries in the bow, anchor and rope. The cuddy is empty just basic bunk structure. when I stand at the stern, the only thing that happens is water runs in thru the scuppers (flaps type) doesn't rush over the edge or anything like that.

It just seems the floor is pitched more when at rest, if I was to lay a soda can by the cuddy, it would roll all the way to the splash well. Thats good for drainage. Just being concern, so I don't get the call my boat is underwater in the slip.

That wake of the boat is a nice wake, speed shot. The 140 seems to run well, I put hydraulic steering on, and oh what a deference it is from mechanical. I also run a jackplate and seem to got the height just right.

Thanks for the input

Philster

Captain

That stance is not stern low... and once under power the engine should lift the stern if it is set up right.

Has virtually nothing to do with stance. Has to do with power and position/trim of the motor.

This is my truly stern heavy boat. No worries getting on plane or having the bow come down because the drive is tucked down/in when at low speeds.

Attachments

• Z-LEONE_SCARAB_26.jpg
    Z-LEONE_SCARAB_26.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1