Need picture of a boat with the cover on, OVER a bowmount trolling motor

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer
My boat came with the cover and a bowmount trolling motor. Problem is that the cover doesn't fit over the trolling motor and I'm trying to decide whether I should modify it myself, have it done, or have a whole new cover made.

Just wondering what a cover that DOES fit over the trolling motor looks like. Mine has the little adjustable poles that hold up the middle but it still looks like it might leave a swale near the motor.

Thanks. Here's a pic of the problem:

Attachments

• !BbGEhnQB2k~$(KGrHqUH-CMEqvI0VyHiBKuW3J2+!!~~_12.jpg
    !BbGEhnQB2k~$(KGrHqUH-CMEqvI0VyHiBKuW3J2+!!~~_12.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 4
Re: Need picture of a boat with the cover on, OVER a bowmount trolling motor

I could be wrong here, but I don't think that they are made to go over the trolling motor. Easy solution is to remove the trolling motor when trailering or just not use a cover when in tow.

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have seen them. I think most of them are custom jobs, and I will bet you dollars to donuts that it won't be cheap to get one made. You may just be better off removing your trolling motor. Is it a quick disconnect?

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

If you adjusted the shaft of the trolling motor so it sits different in its cradle would that allow the cover to fit?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Here is a cover I made for a boat I owned years ago. It is still in service today. If you travel alot I suggest you install a quick release plate for the troller and put it in the boat when you travel. It will create less stress on the cover. A good canvas shot can modify the cover for you but done incorrectly will cause more problems than it's worth. A quick release plate is $40 and will take about an hour to install. You then have the option of taking the troller inside to thwart theft.

Pictures008.jpg

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Quick release, eh? The trolling motor is a Minn Kota 74# Maxxum, a 2004 model I believe. Where would one get a quick release for it? To my knowledge it's bolted right to the boat at the moment...

EDIT** OK, I found the brackets, thank you. How do I know if it's a 42" or 52" model? From where do I measure?

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry, no pics to post but I do have a '91 Astro bass boat w/bow mounted troller and I bought a Westland OEM custom fit last spring. It fits over the troller very well and was exactly the same as the original canvas cover except it had better reinforcements and stitching. I got the sunbrella material and it sits outside year round. Still looks like brand new. The old canvas cover had to be pulled tight over the troller with an extra strap or it would collect water at times. The sunbrella is much more robust material and the cover has more straps so it fits perfectly and no water ever collects on the cover.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can get quick release plates at Cabelas, Bass Pro, any marine dealer or the very obvious place ---- right here on iBoats.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

OK I think I'm going to go with Silvertip's advice and just get a QD for the trolling motor for a multitude of reaons. I didn't know that this existed for my motor but apparently it does. With the trolling motor off the cover will work just fine. Besides, it will probably cost more than $100 to get the cover altered, and since I can get the proper bracket for $100 shipped, I'll just go that route.

Thanks all!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Quick release plates are not motor-specific although some are. The simplest plate (from MinnKota) are two aluminum plates that slide together. The bottom plate bolts to the boat. The top plate bolts to the trolling motor. You slide the two together and lock it in place with a thumb-screw. You can also put a lock on it to prevent it from walking away.

bkwapisz

Chief Petty Officer

Quick release plates are not motor-specific although some are. The simplest plate (from MinnKota) are two aluminum plates that slide together. The bottom plate bolts to the boat. The top plate bolts to the trolling motor. You slide the two together and lock it in place with a thumb-screw. You can also put a lock on it to prevent it from walking away.

I saw that one. They have another that is made of some kind of composite which is what I'm looking at. I just wonder how firmly the composite on will hold the motor. I don't want it flexing around when I have it deployed. The aluminum one looks beefier but the composite looks easier to attach/detach, and it also looks a little smaller. Might have to put a call into Minn Kota.

Any ideas on what I measure to find the length? There was a 42", 52", and apparently also a 62" shafted version of my model...