Need help on buying a boat!!!

dtrman1318

Cadet
I am going to buy a used boat for about $3500. I am stuck between one boat with a sterndrive (Inboard/Outboard) engine and another with just an outboard engine. I was wondering the pros and cons to having either one of these. I have owned boats forever and have aways considered going for the I/O engine, but my friend tells me that I shouldnt go for an I/O engine because they are hard to maintain or something. If you could provide some of your personal inout that would be much appreciated. Thanks

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Need help on buying a boat!!!

You will open a huge can of worms with this subject. Many opinions with many reasons for them.
Personally I like an outboard because I can put a spare one on in a short space of time. Others will disagree that an I/O is quick to repair if necessary as well. I just like the feeling that I can switch outboards and go boating while taking my time repairing the other one properly.
Just my 2 cents though.:D

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I come from 12yrs of I/O 'experiences' and I will tell you that I will NEVER own another I/O period. I finally wised up and realized a boat's engine just shouldn't sit below the water line.

1 - Maintenance. Every 100hrs I was spending $1200 for the 100hr service. Just did the 100hr service on my current boat with outboards, it has two Yamaha F150's and the 100hr service was about $500 apiece. Also the I/O's had 200hr services required as well; for the 200hr service the cost was $3500.00. There is no such service due for my Yamaha's.

2. Engine Compartment. Unless you get a yacht, be ready to get covered in grease, burned, cut, poked, and scratched anytime you want to work on your I/O engine. The compartments are impossible to do anything in, and there are no end to hot, sharp, abrasive edges waiting to take your skin off. Outboards obviously do not have this problem.

3. Outdrive. Requires deeper water to operate, has more moving parts that can break, and requires you to remember to never leave it down when pulling it out of the water. Saw many a boater ruin their outdrive and crack their transom by hauling up the ramp with the drive down. Also never buy an I/O that's been wet docked in salt water. Outboards can be raised completely out of the water, I/O's just sit there and corrode.

4. Drain plug. With an I/O you can never forget to take out the drain plug when its on the trailer. I forgot once with two different boats. Both times the boat filled with water (from heavy rains), ruined the starter, battery, and ignition coil, and the boats were never the same afterwards. An outboard doesn't have that problem either. Worst that will happen is the boat will fill with water.

5. Engine. Basically an I/O is just a car engine with a few marine grade parts slapped on to make it boat ready. Outboards are designed from the ground up with marine specific application in mind.

I/O's do have some advantages

1. Cost. A boat with an I/O is typically a lot cheaper than one with an outboard. Of course that first 200hr service makes you forget you 'saved' anything up front.

2. Space. I/O's usually hide away the engine inside the boat, leaving room for swimming platforms and other stuff at the back of the boat. Of course this works both ways, Outboards leave more room inside the boat, while getting in the way of fishing lines and swimming activities outside the boat.

3. Power. I/O's range in power all the way up to about 400HP per engine. Outboards are typically far less power, although some of the newer ones are starting to crack the 350HP mark.

4. Parts Availability. Although its recommended to never do this, the fact is there are many car parts that are interchangeable with an I/O. There were plenty of times I'd get to the dock and something wouldn't work. No marine store open for miles. A quick run to an auto store and I could replace the starter, plugs, ignition coil, etc using car parts. Once again, you should never do this but it 'can' be done if you just towed your boat 40 miles to the boat ramp and refuse to go home without enjoying some time on the water first.

That's just off the top of my head, I think it turned into more of a rant than anything. I am sure plenty of owners will vote for and against I/O's. They do have their place in boating, just not for me.

cr2k

Captain

I guess that is cool if you have $8000 to keep a spare OB in your garage.

It is usually a personal choice depending on type and location of use.

If you are buying an older boat that may not be 100% reliable think about hanging off the back trying to fix what ever might be bad. Outboards are a little more knowledge intensive as far as repair. If the engine is right there under a cover, IO, you can work on just about any part of while floating about. Plus it is more like an automobile engine which more people are familiar with. But an IO has more weight and needs a little more maint.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We need more information. There are definitely brands/models of each that you should stay away from.

I personally much prefer outboards but that's just my opinion. For $3500 we're most likely talking about an older boat here. (Again just my opinion) older I/O's can be real money pits.

onthelake2010

Seaman

I have owned both for 30 years. Currently own two I/O style boats.

It depends on what your going to be doing.

Boating is going to cost money, all the time so get use to it. When an outboard does have a problem, they are very expensive to fix and you can't do it.

If your boating is on a lake, don't worry about corrosion. And if you trailer your boat, don't worry about corrision. Just keep the zinks maintained (salt water) or the magniziums maintained (fresh water).

I/O's generaly develop allot more torque at lower rpm's versus outboards. They also develop HP at lower RPM's under 5000, while an outboard has to make up for displacement and do it at 8000+ rpm.

And don't forget the noise factor of an outboard.

Once you enjoy the use of a swim platform, you'll never go back. Especialy if you have kids. Most I/O for the last 15 years the swim platform hangs past the stern drive and you can get extensions. It can make a 20' boat feel 25' and provides more fun.

If fishing is your main purpose, I/O's and outboards have different advantage there also.

As for the plug, keep your boat covered when out of the water.

My engine bays are clean. I get in them all the time. There should be nothing leaking, especially oil.

I have never spent $3500 servicing my engines. I get the lower ends checked and serviced every fall for under $500 each. The engines, a ford 351 (over 20 years old) and the Chev 7.4L (454) 15 years old - just change the old every spring and store it properly in the winter.

Hope this helps

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I vote outboard.

I was reading a commnet from an old time boat builder who noted that back in the day, there were marine engines; no more. Now just car engines sitting in an unfriendly environment.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have never spent $3500 servicing my engines. I get the lower ends checked and serviced every fall for under $500 each. The engines, a ford 351 (over 20 years old) and the Chev 7.4L (454) 15 years old - just change the old every spring and store it properly in the winter.

Hope this helps

You must boat in fresh water. In salt water the 200hr service for a Mercruiser 5.7L with EFI runs between $2800 and $4500 at least where I'm at. It does include the lower unit items such as water pump, gimbal bearing, gimbal bellows, etc.

Plasma George

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Funny thing, I have both, I/O bought last summer for $3200, O bought last month for $3550.

I'm selling the I/O as soon as the weather gets warm. I bought the O w/ aluminum trailer cause I take it in salt water 5-10 weekends per year. The I/O had a steel trailer, and never saw salt.

The O is more 'marinized', more compact much higher rpms. Seems overall quieter when it's in the water. There's more room in the boat. I know nothing of repair costs yet, figure winterizing will be a breeze. I/O is heavier with a true automotive 4 cyl.

Fresh of salt or both ?

dtrman1318

Cadet

I am going to ONLY be going in fresh water. Like lakes and rivers. Nothing salt water at all

fishdog4449

Chief Petty Officer

It depends on what your going to be doing.

Boating is going to cost money, all the time so get use to it. When an outboard does have a problem, they are very expensive to fix and you can't do it.

If your boating is on a lake, don't worry about corrosion. And if you trailer your boat, don't worry about corrision. Just keep the zinks maintained (salt water) or the magniziums maintained (fresh water).

I/O's generaly develop allot more torque at lower rpm's versus outboards. They also develop HP at lower RPM's under 5000, while an outboard has to make up for displacement and do it at 8000+ rpm.

And don't forget the noise factor of an outboard.

Once you enjoy the use of a swim platform, you'll never go back. Especialy if you have kids. Most I/O for the last 15 years the swim platform hangs past the stern drive and you can get extensions. It can make a 20' boat feel 25' and provides more fun.

If fishing is your main purpose, I/O's and outboards have different advantage there also.

As for the plug, keep your boat covered when out of the water.

My engine bays are clean. I get in them all the time. There should be nothing leaking, especially oil.

Hope this helps

I/O engines develop more torque, but they are so much heavier that the additional torque doesn't translate to faster acceleration. An O/B powered version of the same boat will usually run away and leave the I/O still getting on plane, the I/O may catch up eventually but that depends on both engines.
I/O rpm range is usually 3900-4800 for most engines, outboards usually 5000-5500. I'm not aware of a stock outboard that runs 8000+ rpm..

IMHO, outboards are easier to work on with fewer problems and ...NO HOLE in the boat for water to get into!

DYLBOSS

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am going to buy a used boat for about $3500. I am stuck between one boat with a sterndrive (Inboard/Outboard) engine and another with just an outboard engine. I was wondering the pros and cons to having either one of these. I have owned boats forever and have aways considered going for the I/O engine, but my friend tells me that I shouldnt go for an I/O engine because they are hard to maintain or something. If you could provide some of your personal inout that would be much appreciated. Thanks

I'm guessing this is an older boat for $3500, maybe not, just small? If 18' or larger, than probably older, which certainly will mean initial engine maintenance costs for sure if not done already. I guess it all depends on how deep your pockets are to make sure you have a well maintained boat.

I like that I have a good swim platform with no engine obstructing the way. Plus, I can have kids/friends hang out on the platform without having to worry about them burning themselves on the engine, or even touching it for that matter. I suppose it does depend on your intended use. Fishing only boat, yeah maybe I'd go with an outboard. Multi-use, then definitely an I/O.

My $.02

dtrman1318

Cadet

I am currently looking at a 1992 Glassport boat 19 foot with a 4.3 Mercruiser 200 HP with 65 hours on the engine

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That sounds like a pretty good boat. I didn't mean to start an outboard vs. I/O war. I just wanted to indicate that catching up on deferred maintenance on an I/O can get very expensive. For your usage, the choice will come down to personal preference. A 4.3 Mercruiser is an excellent package.

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A '92 with 65 hours...that is really low. Get a marine surveyor to look at it and be there when he does, you will learn a lot. I have been boating with outboards all my life and now have my first I/O, so far I LOVE it. The 4.3 merc is a great engine and parts are everywhere.

As stated, it's all personal preference and everyone has their own opinion of why or why not to own an I/O. Learn the maintenance and you will save a ton of money. I wouldn't trade the knowledge I've learned from my first I/O for anything.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Maintance on an I/O is important!!!-- Spend some money up front on it (if records are not available.).

For me I like an I/O. It's easier for me to work on. I boat in fresh water so being able to lift the engine totaly out of the water isn'a a factor, and for the actitivies I use a boat for, it works better (having a large swim platform, and a nice sundeck on the back)

dorelse

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a freshwater boater, and I've had both. From my perspective, I have a love/hate relationship with I/O's...I LOVE that they tuck away under a swim platform, and so does my wife & the kids.

I hate my sore back every time I winterize it...something breaks, etc, etc. For example, on my 305, the starter is nearly impossible to get at...and (and this is MY being forgetful) I have on occasion drug the skeg on the ramp...with the trailer button et. al.

On my outboard...its in the way! (No seriously, it is!) :) Its easy to winterize...change gear oil, run, fog...done. I have personally had very good experiences with my outboards...and I even had a couple rock solid Force's...and one that blew up...found another one, stuck it on, and was good to go again.

I personally prefer outboards...but I/O's have some huge plus's about them. I think it'll come down to what you prefer.

The 4.3 is a great powerplant...you're picking a good one (as long as its been treated right)...you'll be happy with it.

onthelake2010

Seaman

You must boat in fresh water. In salt water the 200hr service for a Mercruiser 5.7L with EFI runs between $2800 and $4500 at least where I'm at. It does include the lower unit items such as water pump, gimbal bearing, gimbal bellows, etc.

Yes, Lake of the woods.
That could be another point. In fresh water, service is much lower cost and an inboard can last 30 years.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, Lake of the woods.
That could be another point. In fresh water, service is much lower cost and an inboard can last 30 years.

I do think I'd reconsider my OB only decision if I was boating in fresh water. Almost everything I've had go wrong with my I/O's was saltwater related. If it weren't for the whole corrosion, risers, manifolds, etc problems I don't think I'd be so against them.

waterspout

Cadet

What about the 4.00 can of oil per 6 gal of gas and poorer mpg with the outboard?