Boat Window Tint

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Is tinting Boat Windows a Waste of Money. More looking for a cool factor instead of functionality.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Boat Window Tint

I will have a shop do it. I will just mess it up and it couldn't cost that much.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I just did my side two windows a couple years ago went to autozone and bout a roll of the static cling tint. Works really well and easy to put on. The real cheap stuf and the stuf from advance will turn purple in a year or two. Just go buy a box and try it not really hard to do.

dizzy1

Seaman

If you get it tinted post some pics. Was looking to find a 1 piece tinted lo pro window on my 175 but can't find a place. Started to think about just tinting what I have to get a similiar look. Would love to see the final look. Exactly what we need in snowy cold Gilbert ;)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not sure what to do about the Snow in 85 degree weather but I will research some local tint shops and get some estimates.

Thanks for the Replies all.

Ron-O

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Didn't think about tinting the boat windows but now you have me wanting to do it. Make sure you get the professional tint (usually metalized). It will hold up to the sunlight. I have some left from tiniting a few cars, maybe I'll try it and post some pics..

Stachi

Lieutenant Commander

I'm liking the idea to...tinted windows,...wonder why I never thought of it....any regulations concerning this ?..... I wouldn't go too dark...

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most boat windows have a (hard) curve in them that makes it a pain to tint.
The owner of the shop that does my cars windows (he is GREAT at tinting windows) takes his boat to another shop to have it tinted.

I think on most bowriders it's a cool factor (I've heard some owners state the wind up riding on top of the seats if out at dark to see above the windows). I think it looks great and I really want to do this mod to my boat (just for the look).

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

My Bow Rider windows are pretty much straight without Curves so tinting shouldn't be a big challenge. I think any auto Tint shop should be able to handle it. Not sure the tint darkness. I think I want to go dark on the sides and something lighter on the front.

Thanks for the Replies.

ziggy

Admiral

while my window are tinted. they're tinted very lightly. in coke bottle green.

IMG_1109.jpg

be careful not to go to dark if you boat at night at all. it's hard enough to see at night imho.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I just tinted my two side windows still deciding to do the rest or not I really like the way they look tinted. I just went Limo from autozone. I don't ever look out the windshield at night. I barely look out it during the day mostly over it. Here is the only picture I could find right know. I did it about 4 years ago.
DSC00427.sized.jpg

Hogger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've got my side windows tinted like Badbowtie, but they are very light. I'd like to go darker. Do you think it would be OK to add another layer, or should I peel the old stuff off? It's in good condition.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I don't plan to do any night boating. Not sure what the fun in that is.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

I don't plan to do any night boating. Not sure what the fun in that is.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

Total tangent here:

We have a bar/restaurant that's about 30 minutes down the river from where we dock. We went there a few times last year after work and ate, drank and hung out. Of course it was dark driving back. Man was that fun...after an intensely hot day out it was a little cooler, and we all stood up and paid attention to what was on the river in front of us. It was glass-smooth and just a great ride every time! We even stopped to swim, which was a trip in dark water. [/tangent]

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a fear of alligators and they come out at night.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

If I had alligators I would not boat at night neither.

semo549

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I tinted mine 5% all around. My first trip out to the river I couldn't see out of the windshield, gotta be able to see them river logs... maybe I would have left it on it I spent the majority of my time on a cleaner lake. I peeled the front off and left the sides on, I think it makes it look better. I got the tint from a tint shop and did it myself, striaght windows are easy.

Here's some pics..
PIC-0248.jpg

PIC-0268.jpg

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I did mine last summer. There was a thread around here somewhere that had others that did it themselves also. heres a pic

before
101_2046.jpg

after
Augustlakepics014-1.jpg

I did pepboys limo tint, it was on sale 2 rolls for $25. Its not professional, but it works for our boat. as for functional, its nice when the sun is going down and it gives a little more privacy as well. Definitely worth it, but the limo sure is DARK!

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

cabin windows are dark tint- the windshield is clear and I stand to look over it at night. We boat at night -bar accross lake and feel safer being able to see-even wear clear safty glasses when running at speed to keep the bugs outta my eyes.:cool: