Tow rope gets caught in wake when towing tube

skgilbert

Recruit
When towing a tube, the tow rope often gets hung in the wake and won't allow the tube to cross over the wake. What may be causing this and can anyone offer suggestions to correct the problem?

Thanks,

skgilbert

Recruit
Tow rope gets caught in wake when towing tube

When towing a tube, the tow rope often gets hung in the wake and won't allow the tube to cross over the wake. Not a problem when towing skier, only when towing a tube. What may be causing this and can anyone offer suggestions to correct the problem?

Thanks,

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tow rope gets caught in wake when towing tube

Riding too low most likely. Are you towing with a harness or off the stern hook ?

skgilbert

Recruit

Im towng with a harness attached to the 2 stern hooks. These are the same hooks used for securing to the trailer. Could they be to low?

BTMCB

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do you have a "float" on the rope closer to the boat than to the tube? I do and have never had any problem pulling a tube. And it never gets caught in the wake. Also, maybe your tow ring is too low?? Good luck.

DBreskin

TahoeQ4Pilot

Petty Officer 1st Class

How about a booster ball?

61qiHM9RbpL._AA300_.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Please do not post the same question in multple sections. I am merging the threads.

boat1010

Am not sure how fast you are going but more speed sometimes is not the answer. When I have the grandkids in the tube and want to get them outside of the wake all I do is first turn fairly hard one direction, when the tube starts changing directions I turn fairly hard the other direction. With a little practice you will be able to get the tube on the outside of the wake.

haulnazz15

Captain

I will go with the liklihood that the u-bolts he is using are probably too low to allow sufficient height above the water for the rope. The skier success is due to the taller skier creating an andle which is enough to keep it out of the water. The rope-rulley he is likely using between the tow hooks, is exasterbating the problem. The booster ball is about the only thing that will help if he doesn't want to create a new mounting point or raise his tow eyes.

What type of boat is this?

Moody Blue

Captain

Regardless of the type of boat, the height of the stern eyes will vary very little, maybe a few inches and that won't make much difference in keeping the rope out of the water. The rope floats help a little.

Since ski pylons are not recommended for pulling tubes, the most effective solution is driver education and experience. As boat1010 pointed out, the technique is the key.

I've successively pulled tubes in a 14ft whaler style hull where the stern eyes are only about 6" above the water.

haulnazz15

Captain

Regardless of the type of boat, the height of the stern eyes will vary very little, maybe a few inches and that won't make much difference in keeping the rope out of the water. The rope floats help a little.

Since ski pylons are not recommended for pulling tubes, the most effective solution is driver education and experience. As boat1010 pointed out, the technique is the key.

I've successively pulled tubes in a 14ft whaler style hull where the stern eyes are only about 6" above the water.

I have pulled tubes where the stern eyes are right above water level (Quantum bass boat), it really depends on the boat he's using before we can speculate that he is trimmed too far up or not moving fast enough. Some boat hulls produce a natural center wake that can catch the rope-pulley, and the only way to reduce it is to go faster, which with small kids won't be an option, and it may be too fast for anyone to be pulled safely.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You guys are way over-engineering this thing. It's a simple matter of shortening the rope ... :eek:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Sorry guys, I was trying to eliminate the duplicate posts numbered 1 and 2 above. Apparently if we delete the #1 post it deletes the whole thread. Sorry for the disappearance. I didn't realize it until this AM . . . :redface: Carry on :)