Best way to remove old boat stripes decals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grayt 1

Seaman
Just bought a really clean 93 Seaswirl and want to remove the bottom stripe on the hull. It is below the water line and it is not in the greatest shape. It is peeling in places. Is there any good tips or just try and get an edge up and pull?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Best way to remove old boat stripes decals?

1. Hairdryer to soften it and pull them off
2. WD 40 to remove any adhesive left behind (one of the few things on earth WD40's actually good for)

GXL205 Deke

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Great question! My anchor rope tore up a pin stripe on the bow after being anchored, and I was wondering how to remove that stripe too.

Will the WD-40 hurt the gelcoat?

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Great question!

Will the WD-40 hurt the gelcoat?

Not unless you get mad and throw the can at the boat.

(...and why would I advise using WD 40 if it would harm gelcoat?)

Another method is to buy a pin stripe removal wheel. It's bacially a large rubber easer wheel that you mount in your cordless drill. Spin it up and press it against the stripe. Wipes it right off in a few seconds. removes the adhesive as well and doesn't hurt the gel coat. You can get the wheels at auto parts stores or on-line. http://goferauto.com/sttaresy.html

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a heat gun to soften the glue on the previous owners registration numbers on our boat. Then I used some opps (goof off) to remove the glue residue. Just be careful if you use a heat gun though you don't want to leave it in one place very long as they can damage things.

Status
Not open for further replies.