Bottom Paint

TilliamWe

Banned
Re: Bottom Paint

antifouling paint in its self will do nothing to prevent blistering, check the interlux site out, they will tell you to always coat the bottom with a epoxy barrier coat before you apply an antifouling paint

A good point, one that I mentioned in my second post. Thaks for pointing it out again, because it's very IMPORTANT to epoxy barrier coat first.

In regards to white bottom paint, it must be a Canada thing, because I have definately seen boat in Illinois with white bottom paint.

imraan47

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good point, one that I mentioned in my second post. Thaks for pointing it out again, because it's very IMPORTANT to epoxy barrier coat first.

In regards to white bottom paint, it must be a Canada thing, because I have definately seen boat in Illinois with white bottom paint.

Yea it is a Canada thing or at least Ontario thing. Every marine store i have gone to says no they just cant seem to get it. Dont know why but its illegal for some reason.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

because some slick salesman was selling unpainted boats and tellnig the buyers "it's such a good match you can't tell it's there! Like clearcoat on a car!" So they passed a law....

No not really I just made that up.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if you paint your boat you are dropping the value of the boat, I wont even buy a boat that has been painted, plus you will loose from 2 to 6mph by painting your boat, you can leave your boat in fresh water and have no ill effects on it if alge grows on it pull it pressure spray it off then for the brown marks left from the water use mary kate on and off to make it look new again they sell it at all marine supply stores, for 15 bucks a qt you just spray it on and the bad brown or yellow color goes away, I use it all the time on my boat it will even take rust stains out of your deck if you left a tool or a metal beer cap on the deck too long in one place

Dutchass

Recruit

Bottom paint? It's something up to you. Where we boat within a week, more or less, we have without painting a grey/brownish color on the hull at the waterline. It can be removed rather easy and there are I don't know how many liquids that can be used. I think there are as many pro's as there are cons. Some valid others not. But we simply like a clean shiny boat as long is possible. So we paint the boat every year.
Most boats over here have bottom paint. We let it do by a professional here at the Marina. I would advice to let it done for sure the first time after when it's clear there is a good visible sight of the water line.

TilliamWe

Banned

...plus you will loose from 2 to 6mph by painting your boat, you can leave your boat in fresh water and have no ill effects on it if alge grows on it pull it pressure spray it off...

All that from a guy that has never owned a bottom painted boat? Not all is accurate, though.

You'll lose more speed than that with a fouled bottom. 6 mph loss with bottom paint is a VERY high estimate. 2 mph is closer to accurate.

The stuff in Lake Erie, around Port Clinton does NOT just pressure wash right off. And On/Off is not a fun or easy product to use, it's an ACID that can burns your skin, smells, and you have t0 be careful with it.

Reelnative, it's different everywhere in regards to growth. You must be lucky and boat somewhere that the growth is not bad. Lake Erie is "bad".
And again resale value is in the eye of the beholder. If you boated on Lake Erie, you'd see lots of boats with bottom paint, so the values would all be the same.

reelnative

Petty Officer 3rd Class

All that from a guy that has never owned a bottom painted boat? Not all is accurate, though.

You'll lose more speed than that with a fouled bottom. 6 mph loss with bottom paint is a VERY high estimate. 2 mph is closer to accurate.

The stuff in Lake Erie, around Port Clinton does NOT just pressure wash right off. And On/Off is not a fun or easy product to use, it's an ACID that can burns your skin, smells, and you have t0 be careful with it.

Reelnative, it's different everywhere in regards to growth. You must be lucky and boat somewhere that the growth is not bad. Lake Erie is "bad".
And again resale value is in the eye of the beholder. If you boated on Lake Erie, you'd see lots of boats with bottom paint, so the values would all be the same.

I said I wouldnt buy a boat that has been painted, ive owned many painted boat, as to painting your boat you will loose 2 to 6 mph depending on how the paint was applied, as for using mary kate, its not hard to use, well let me restate that for those of you that have no sence yea its hard to use, when I was a service manager of a marina our girls that did our boat detailing used it every day, never in 9yrs did they have a prob using it. I live in south west florida in one of the towns were the bottom paints you buy are tested so I now all too well about hull growth, lake erie is a joke to what im use to, were I live if you leave your boat in the water for 4 days you have barnicals starting to grow on your hull

TilliamWe

Banned

And the stuff that attaches in Lake Erie is just as bad. Zebra mussels, their larvae, and some black grit that is like the sand in sandpaper.

skargo

Banned

I'm glad I trailer my 1978 boat, which has never had bottom paint on it. I only slip it for the long 4th of July weekend, because the fireworks are launched from the marina and it's the best seat in the house.

If I were to ever slip it, I'd paint it for sure! I'm in the upper Chesapeake though, probably a huge difference from lake Erie.

I wouldn't worry about it's looks, when the boats in the water the bottom paint is pretty much in the water anyway.