deoxidizing

jeffw0038

Seaman
Just bought a boat that has alot of oxidation on the blue paint, someone told me that soft scrub works well cutting oxidation, cheaper than buying bottles of deoxidizer, what do you all use to clean your boats?

Thanks
Jeff

Rwebber77

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: deoxidizing

When I purchased my boat I used Maguiars Fiberglass Restoration Kit because it has an oxidation remover, canuba wax, and a polish. Eliminated some scratches, the ugly waterline, and most of the oxidation. Pair it with an orbital buffer and you won't regret it.

I am curious to see what other iboaters use.

salty87

Commander

never heard of bottled deoxidizer...got a brand name or link?

this topic has been discussed every which way if you do a search. there's no easy way or miracle product that lasts. rubbing compound or wet sanding followed by polish. lots of laps around the boat by the time you're done.

nitrosteve

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The best stuff I have used is 3m Restorer & Wax its about 17.00 a bottle and works really well.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

boats dont have paint.....they have gelcoat........its a totally different material and must be treated as such.

1. acid wash the boat.....(industrial stregnth toilet bowl cleaner from a proper janitorial shop.....not wallmart)

2. if oxidisation is very bad.....a dry sanding with 8-900 grit then 1200 finally 1500. be careful when you sand....you are not trying to sand the gellcoat off. dont stay in the same spot ....you just want to take the oxidation out. this is done with a variable palm sander with a foam backed pad. hold the sander flat on the surface allways....never on the edge.

3. proper buffing compound for gellcoat......farecla 300.
go over the boat with the compound.....do small areas (2-3 foot sq )with the sponge applicator at around 500-800 rpm on the buffer.
keep moving the compound around till it has worked in......wash the applicator often.....wash it each time you move to a different area

4. after its applied, use the buffing mop at about 1500 rpm......wash the mop often.

5. after its buffed.....use farecla glaze....(this is like a wax)with the buffing mop. apply sparingly and again do small sections.

this will produce a mirror shine to the gellcoat and the oxidation will not return for years........what you are esentally doing is re surfacing the gellcoat.

cheers
oops

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good read! the only thing. i would try scotch bright. before sand paper. people tend to sand into jellcoat.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

boats dont have paint.....they have gelcoat........its a totally different material and must be treated as such.

1. acid wash the boat.....(industrial stregnth toilet bowl cleaner from a proper janitorial shop.....not wallmart)

2. if oxidisation is very bad.....a dry sanding with 8-900 grit then 1200 finally 1500. be careful when you sand....you are not trying to sand the gellcoat off. dont stay in the same spot ....you just want to take the oxidation out. this is done with a variable palm sander with a foam backed pad. hold the sander flat on the surface allways....never on the edge.

3. proper buffing compound for gellcoat......farecla 300.
go over the boat with the compound.....do small areas (2-3 foot sq )with the sponge applicator at around 500-800 rpm on the buffer.
keep moving the compound around till it has worked in......wash the applicator often.....wash it each time you move to a different area

4. after its applied, use the buffing mop at about 1500 rpm......wash the mop often.

5. after its buffed.....use farecla glaze....(this is like a wax)with the buffing mop. apply sparingly and again do small sections.

this will produce a mirror shine to the gellcoat and the oxidation will not return for years........what you are esentally doing is re surfacing the gellcoat.

cheers
oops

What is a "buffing mop"?

oops!

Supreme Mariner

What is a "buffing mop"?

comet can be used for the black roller marks...if they dont come out with that.....the farecla will get them......the acid wash wont touch them

randomsummerpicsandfire070.jpg

this is the stuff

randomsummerpicsandfire066.jpg

here i was using the mop to apply the glaze

randomsummerpicsandfire078-1.jpg

wash the mop and applicator often. it can be dryed in a second by spinning it on the sander

randomsummerpicsandfire076-1.jpg

this is the acid wash

randomsummerpicsandfire068-1.jpg

cheers
oops

oops!

Supreme Mariner

Good read! the only thing. i would try scotch bright. before sand paper. people tend to sand into jellcoat.

your right.....they do......but starting with 800 they will be there a while before it happens....:D

oops!

Supreme Mariner

from this......

randomsummerpicsandfire071.jpg

to this

randomsummerpicsandfire077.jpg

i didnt sand this one.....just the acid wash and farecla

CaptainHook

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use the meguiars system.....3 parts. Works well but you have to keep up on it.

i would not use soft scrub myself. I think it is a bit abrasive. Might scratch up the gel.