Best way to install a 2nd bilge pump.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After reading an earlier post about bilge pumps I've decided to install a 2nd pump in my boat. I've ordered a 1000gph Rule pump to match the one I already have installed. I plan on mounting it a little higher in the bilge than the one already mounted so it will only come on if the other pump stops working or it will not handle the amount of water coming into the bilge. Do I need to install another water hose outlet or will I be able to Y off the hose already installed? What will be the best way to install this 2nd pump?

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Best way to install a 2nd bilge pump.

Use a separate discharge thru-hull. With a Y-pipe, you'd have to install check valves between each pump and the Y, adding expense, complication, restriction in the line, and two more potential points of failure. K.I.S.S., as the saying goes. (Keep It Simple, Silly!)

JoLin

Vice Admiral

It's something that's on my short list of things to do, too.

I look at it this way- the second pump is your last defense against disaster. i wouldn't share anything with an existing pump- not wiring, not switches, not hoses, not through-hull. I'd install with smooth-bore hose to maximize output, too.

mphy98

Lieutenant

I got this advise last year from many people here and it was good advise. SEPARATE lines, one on each side of the boat for discharge. I installed the second one above the one in the bottom of the bilge, and put an automatic switch on it. This way no matter what (famous last words) happens, I should be floating. It was a very simple job. Just be sure to use a good grade marine silicone around the fitting for the discharge hose. I also had the outlet way above the waterline, just to be sure. :D

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It is a matter of physics when it comes to sharing an outlet with another pump. One pump pretty much uses up the capacity of the line attached to that pump. Adding another pump to that line through a "Y" does nothing for you since the two pumps now fight for capacity. Besides, the stronger pump would pump water backward through the other unless check valves were installed.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i use separate energy sources also, 2 separate batteries, if 1st pump, kills it's battery, the second pump still has power.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What type of smooth bore hose?

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

Don't install the pump Higher, install the float higher! Wire in a high water alarm as well. All wiring separate.

But here's the funny thing. Most boats these days have an indicator light on the bilge pump switch on the dash that illuminates when the float turns on the bilge pump. Now, If I'm just cruising along and I see my bilge switch light come on, well, I'm going to back off and see what the hell is going on in my bilge. Therefore, even though I applaud the install of a high water alarm, well, at that point when it goes off, shouldn't action have already been taken? So therefore, is it really an alarm?

If a boater doesn't check his bilge every 15 minutes or so, he/she is asking for it...

Just my $.02

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

hard to check if you are sleeping or not on the boat..... I will have an alarm for sure

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have some fairly old boats, but I don't "check the bilge" every 15 minutes. Otherwise the advice here is solid.

Depending on your hull (bilge) design you might put the second pump further forward in case water settles there instead of in the stern.

scbackpacker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From looking at my boat it will be easier to install both pump line outlets on the port side beside each other. On the starboard side the fuel fill hose takes up the space where I would need to install the hose outlet.