trolling motors and rental boats

andy

Recruit
I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to invest in a trolling motor and just rent paddle/row boats at the lakes I frequent. I do not know which brand or model to look at, and I don't know how I would mount it. Is this even possible?<br />I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.<br />Thanks!

Paul4

Recruit
Re: trolling motors and rental boats

I have been in the same situation. You must have a place to mount it, of course, and you must have room for a 12 volt battery. I have a motorguide. Minn Kota's are nice, and Evinrude makes a quality trolling motor.

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice

You need a proper transom just clamp on your trolling motor i would recommend that you get a minn kota from what i've been told there the best for the money spent. it all just depends now on the size boat the wieght you'll be carrying to decide what model because if your motor can't handle the wieght you'll just burn it out quickly if your getting your own motor by the time you addon rental fees for the boat i'd just say you should buy your own boat depending on what your using it for and how often your renting. if you spend a lot on a motor you should just buy a boat because a couple yrs of renting theres your boat price but yet you have no boat i'd suggest looking around for a used boat in new and used traders. hopefully this will be of some help to you?
smile.gif

RTDcanuck

Seaman Apprentice

Don't forget if you buy a motor you also need a battert a protective case for it and charger which all equals more $$$$ when it is after all just a rental is it worth it?!?

rogerwa

Commander

My Dad always had a small outboard with onboard tank that he would put on the rental boat. <5Hp is manageable and will give you enough juice to off a lake quickly in the event of storm or the winds pick up.. This is assuming you rent a 14-16 aluminum fishing boat.<br /><br />Owning a boat adds a whole lot of stuff to the equation, like launching it, waiting to launch it, waiting to retrieve it, retrieving it, insurance, maintenance, license, etc,...<br /><br />When we would go fishing as a kid it was very quick to mount the motor and go..

jamesK1

Recruit
g'day

g'day

I was wondering if it would be worth it for me to invest in a trolling motor and just rent paddle/row boats at the lakes I frequent. I do not know which brand or model to look at, and I don't know how I would mount it. Is this even possible?<br />I would appreciate any ideas anyone may have.<br />Thanks!
its good to look back to remember this early stuff.