Need advice. 1990 Larson Lazer 200 B/R. Volvo Penta 350 V8 with dual prop I/O

capebreton1967

Seaman Apprentice
Need advice on a 1990 Larson Lazer 200 B/R. Volvo Penta 350 V8 with dual prop I/O

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone!

I'm looking at buying the following.

1990 Larson Lazer 200 Bow-rider SE.
Volvo Penta 350 Chevy engine.
Volvo Penta Duo Prop I/O. (I think it's a 280 DP I/O.)
On a current trailer in good shape.

The Owner is asking $5700.00 Canadian Dollars. It has been for sale for a month or longer but this doesn't surprise me since we all just got through Xmas and we're in the middle of winter here in Ontario.

I have no other info other than whats listed above.

I haven't seen the boat in person yet, but I have had a look at some pictures and a brief enough conversation with the owner that my interest is peaked. The boat is 2 hours from my current location.

I have spent a few days browsing this site for info and I have downloaded the Larson brochure from the Larson website on this year and model of boat.

I have attached a JPG file for reference.

What problematic areas should I be looking for in this vintage Larson with this power option?

What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• 1990 Larson 200 BR SE.JPG
    1990 Larson 200 BR SE.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 0

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need advice. 1990 Larson Lazer 200 B/R. Volvo Penta 350 V8 with dual prop I/O

Look for soft spots in the floor. If they exist it is a good be that the floor will have rot and if it is there then more than likely the stringers will be gone also. Find out if it was stored inside or out. Ask for mantence records if he has them or where he had it serviced. If it has an hour meter look at the number of hours of use. Check the trailer for rust and the condition of the bunks or rollers. Look for dry rot cracks on the tires. Check the bilge area for signs of oil residue as it could be an indication of an oil leak. Pull the dip stick and check the oil color. A milky consistency usually means their could be a leaky head gasket. Make sure the boat is winterized. I know this is just common sense in your neck of the woods. In the end you have to decide whether or not to jump off the in the deep end. Oh, Welcome to the Larson club!

capebreton1967

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need advice. 1990 Larson Lazer 200 B/R. Volvo Penta 350 V8 with dual prop I/O

Bubba1235 & JimMH. Thanks for your replies. I know that looking at purchasing a used boat in the winter months is a gamble at best.

I'm mainly asking for opinions on this model of boat.

This model was prone to....

or

I had these types of problems....

I currently own a 1980 Sea Ray SRV195 Closed Bow with a 305 Chevy Merc and Alpha 1 IO. It's been a fantastic boat these past 10 years but it's starting to show it age alot. Floor is getting soft in the back corners under the seats. It'll run 45mph all day long but I'm looking to upgrade into the 90's and the kids want a bowrider.

Thanks,

Jeff

captmello

Captain

I'm a fan of the Volvo drivetrains. the duoprops are the best performing outdrives available and the 350 is a proven motor. That being said, any boat 20 years old is only as good as the care its been given since new.

Like stated earlier, buying without a test drive is a big gamble.

capebreton1967

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for your reply Captmello. :)

I've worked on my own Merc stuff for a long time now but as I'm in Merc country, it's all I've ever seen. In my area it's mostly Mercruser with some OMC but it's usually the very old stuff.

I have started to see some Volvo IO's around mostly on the newer boats. So far I like what I've been reading in the Forums and downloading the manuals is an unexpected plus.

Regards,

Jeff

capebreton1967

Seaman Apprentice

I have always liked the layout of the Larson boats, they use space well. The 350 Chevy and Volvo DP is about as bullet proof as they come.

Thanks Bubba1235,:)

I like the layout as well, the wrap around rear seating looks great for a crew. This Larson even has a sink and port-a-potty as listed for that model year.

Getting the old brochures from the Larson website was a big plus since I haven't even seen the boat yet. It is 2+ hours away and the seller is a Snowbird in Florida and won't be back until early March (New info)

Thanks,

Jeff

capebreton1967

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know what Volvo Penta engine manual to download for this vintage?
Volvo Penta engine 350 Chevy Block.

Thanks,

Jeff