New replacement for boat capacity plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipsnoop

Cadet
I have older Sears GameFisher which the capacity plate has became unreadable. Does anybody know how to order a new plate?

dipsnoop

Cadet
Re: New replacement for boat capacity plate?

Thanks for the info. but the plate has nothing on it because of sun damage. The plate is just white with no lettering. Any other suggestions?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

hmmm well I have a friend with an old gamefisher..... there were lots of them tho.... which model do you have? maybe someone can get you a picture of a correct plate... you could then have it printed on vinyl to stick over your current one

dipsnoop

Cadet

It is a 16' Sears gamefisher tri-hull fiberglass. I believe it was built in 1976.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You can have a decal made if you have the info to put on it.
Try to find another boat like it to get the info.

If you can't find the info anywhere, the only place to get a new decal/plate, is from the manufacturer.

Since Dears didn't make any boats, the key to finding the manufacturer is the Hull ID number located on the transom.

Post that number here, and we can tell you the manufacturer. If still in business, you can contact them for the info.

If they are out of business, you are up a creek, (may just have to make it up if you need a plate).

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well my friend has a 14' so that won't work
so far I found tha PA will issue a plate but I don't know that that would be valid in california

aye
or better yet if you read here you will need to click through several pages but all the info is there for you to correctly fill out your old plate and be legal

dipsnoop

Cadet

Thanks smokeonthewater I was incorrect on the length fo the boat. It is a 14' boat. So maybe your friend's tag would work.

roscoe,
The number on the registration is SES70142M78F.
The number on the transom is MFG70142M78.

Thanks!

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

If this number is correct...MFG70142M78...

MFG is the Molded Fiberglass Company out of Ashtabula, OH.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yes, MFG made boats for Sears, and thats what you have.

But your registration is "counterfeit."
THe registration is for a boat made by
SESSA MARINE AMERICA INC 850 NE 3RD ST SUITE 201-202 DANIA BEACH FL

Good Luck.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

MFG hasn't made boats in a long, long time. They never really wanted to make boats in the first place....it just sort of made sense as they were pioneers in production methods with fiberglass. They couldn't sell the process/idea to any established boat manufacturers so they built their own boats. Whether or not you will get support from them at this time is uncertain. MFG as a company still exists and is still doing a lot of business in many different markets. However, they haven't built a boat since the 80s.

Your boat is a 1978.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yes, MFG made boats for Sears, and thats what you have.

But your registration is "counterfeit."
THe registration is for a boat made by
SESSA MARINE AMERICA INC 850 NE 3RD ST SUITE 201-202 DANIA BEACH FL

Good Luck.

I believe that sears put their own number on the paperwork.... in this case ses would stand for sears

fishrdan

Admiral

Once you find the info on your hull, you can have a plate made at Office Depot. My project boat was missing the capacity plate and I couldn't get it from the manufacturer so I had Office Depot make it for me, cost $13. It's polished brass so it doesn't look exactly like the "USCG" yellow/white plates, but has all the info on it.

Heck, I've been boating for 15-20 years and haven't had anyone ask to look at my boats capacity plate. Better safe than sorry though I guess.

dipsnoop

Cadet

Thanks for all the input guys. I think I will try fishrdan idea and have office depot make the plate.

I was concered about the plate because I was told that Fish and Game looked for the plate if they happened to stop you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I believe that sears put their own number on the paperwork.... in this case ses would stand for sears

No, the MIC code and hull id number is applied by the hull manufacturer, always.
Thats why you have boat finishers/sellers like Northwoods, that will have the MIC (first 3 letters of the hull id) of the company that they bought the hull from. They buy hulls from a half dozen different companies, and each hull has the manufacturers MIC code, but they all sell under the Northwoods brand name.

SES is registered to Sessa Marine with the USCG.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

in that case I would say it was most likely done in error.... I think counterfeit would indicate intent of fraud and using the correct serial number with the wrong manufacturer code just would not be the best way to pull off a scam

Rottenron

Recruit
This may be a mute point, however I bought a 1978 Wellcraft V20 Cuddy Cabin. OK who cares, Ron. Well the boat is pristine condition and the Data plate is unreadable. I saw questions back and forth about the data plate. So today I contacted Wellcraft at the new location and Ray explained the move and mergers. Anyway we hit it off and I grobled like a two year old and he came up with the requested Data Plate. Now it may a year off based on the horsepower rating of 235. I posted this on the Wellcraft site also He sent the images and he approved the posting of it here for others. I hope this helps even one person besides myself. Ron

Feel free to contact me if you need a better jpg
progress.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.