Leaking??

y2kdejesus

Recruit
I have a 86 Cobia open bowrider 17' fiberglass boat. The boat has a center storage opening. I just purchased the boat and I'm not sure what this is called.:confused It runs about 1 1/2 foot wide and about 4 feet long inside the hull fully carpeted with a nice slotted teak wood top with a drain hole at the bottom. The only concern I have is that the other day I went out and it started filling up with water slowly about 1'-2' and we had to come ashore.
frown.gif
It doesn't fill up fast but there was some water starting to fill this area. Is this some type of live well or storage area? I looked under the boat to see if I had hit a rock or something along the way.
redface.gif
Everything looked alright underneath. Anyone that can shed some light on this would be appreciated!! Thanks
cool.gif
<br /><br />------------------<br />Cobia Owner<br />Boating is Great FUN

steve064

Cadet
Re: Leaking??

Originally posted by y2kdejesus:<br />I have a 86 Cobia open bowrider 17' fiberglass boat. The boat has a center storage opening. I just purchased the boat and I'm not sure what this is called.:confused It runs about 1 1/2 foot wide and about 4 feet long inside the hull fully carpeted with a nice slotted teak wood top with a drain hole at the bottom. The only concern I have is that the other day I went out and it started filling up with water slowly about 1'-2' and we had to come ashore.
frown.gif
It doesn't fill up fast but there was some water starting to fill this area. Is this some type of live well or storage area? I looked under the boat to see if I had hit a rock or something along the way.
redface.gif
Everything looked alright underneath. Anyone that can shed some light on this would be appreciated!! Thanks
cool.gif
<br /><br />

steve064

Cadet

Y2K....,<br />Not a Cobia person, but the area under the deck that you describe sounds like a standard ski storage hold, with a nice teak-wood top on it, a nice touch so take care of it. Should it fill up with water....hell no!! But relax, you won't have to go diving to enjoy your boat. That storage area, along with others, DRAIN TO THE OUTSIDE. Since it is under the deck the drain is going to be LOW on the boat(below the water line), and if the PLUG is not there or is defective, it will allow water to travel in. Contact Cobia with Serial number and try to eliminate the drain plug(s) as the source of trouble. Also, if you have an IO, do you have water in the engine compartment? If you do, put some dye or food color in the water sufficient to change the color, then see if it travels to the ski storage compartment. You should be able to do that in your back yard with a CAREFUL HOSE. If the color travels then there is your leak. Good Luck.<br />Steve

y2kdejesus

Recruit

Steve,<br /><br /> First of all I want to Thank You for replying. Yes I do have an IO engine. Now that you mention it I do remember going in reverse (stern direction) while backing away from the shoreline a couple times and I may have taken in some water into the engine compartment just enough to start my leaking problem in the storage compartment. When the compartment started taking in water I didn't even think about starting the bilge pump. This could have solved my problem. I fell really dumb.
mad.gif
Maybe this water was coming from the engine compartment and going into the storage. I just panicked and started back to shore. Why would Cobia put a drain hole with stainless steel slotted cover in that area if it serves no purpose than to just fill up? You talked about a drain plug. I will have to see if there is a separate plug for this storage area. Should there be another? I don't think so?? The only one I put in is the one that goes to the boat in the transom area.<br /> Thanks Again!!
biggrin.gif
<br />
Originally posted by steve064:<br />Y2K....,<br />Not a Cobia person, but the area under the deck that you describe sounds like a standard ski storage hold, with a nice teak-wood top on it, a nice touch so take care of it. Should it fill up with water....hell no!! But relax, you won't have to go diving to enjoy your boat. That storage area, along with others, DRAIN TO THE OUTSIDE. Since it is under the deck the drain is going to be LOW on the boat(below the water line), and if the PLUG is not there or is defective, it will allow water to travel in. Contact Cobia with Serial number and try to eliminate the drain plug(s) as the source of trouble. Also, if you have an IO, do you have water in the engine compartment? If you do, put some dye or food color in the water sufficient to change the color, then see if it travels to the ski storage compartment. You should be able to do that in your back yard with a CAREFUL HOSE. If the color travels then there is your leak. Good Luck.<br />Steve