Lowes stainless steel screws ok for boats?

mako172

Seaman Apprentice
Are the stainless steel screws from Lowes and Home Depo ok to use on boats? I know there are different types of stainless and don't know if they are as good as what I would get from a store like West Marine.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Lowes stainless steel screws ok for boats?

Absolutely!

Welcome to iboats!

Yes, I purchase my ss screws locally in my hardware stores and have not encountered a problem.

What are you repairing or building?

mako172

Seaman Apprentice

I used them on my rub rail recently and wanted to know if I would regret it. I have an 1981 Mako 17 and the screws I pulled were a bit dingy but not rusted. I just redid all the original teak and I want to replace with new screws to accent the work but didn't want to end up with rust spots because I went cheap on a $0.20 part.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

The s/s screws at Lowes are most likely 304 (18-8) and will be just as serviceable as using the more expensive 318. Suggestion: To avoid bleed (all stainless will rust as it all has iron content) if you're using stainless, you might consider wiping each screw with IPA to clean the production oils from the surface. Mix up some soft tallow and graphite and coat the threads just prior to using. I learned this trick from my dad many years ago and never had a bleed issue. When the screws are all seated, brush the heads with a clear polyurethane to seal...back then we used Spar varnish. It's a bit more trouble, but you seemed concerned with bleed.

Safe boating....
Captain Chris

riding dirty

Recruit

rust spots on stainless screws arn't from cheap stainless they are usually from using a steel screwdriver, use a stainless steel screw driver on stainless fasteners then deposits won't be left behind.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

rust spots on stainless screws arn't from cheap stainless they are usually from using a steel screwdriver, use a stainless steel screw driver on stainless fasteners then deposits won't be left behind.

The man knows of what he speaks !!!!

The Great Escape II

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agreed 100%

DANZIG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

For what it is worth,,,
I have used dozens from Lowes(screws and bolts both),, and just a couple from a smaller local HW store.

No probelms with the Lowes, some of the locals took rust after 2 weeks. Same tools.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

however you can weld mild to stainless and it will hold fine.
the mild will rust obviously but not the stainless.
lowes here also.

tboltmike

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good advise above.

My experience is that the big box store are expensive. See if you have an independent or family run hardware store that sells out of a bin. I have bought quite a few during my restore, and have found this to be very cost effective and can by in number and sizes that I need not pre packaged. The store I use, has small brown paper bags and pens at the bins. Just count out the number and price on the bin and write on the bag.

No rust on the 35 year old SS screws or the ones I bought in saltwater use all its life.

Mike

F_R

Supreme Mariner

There ARE different types of stainless steel. It can get kind of technical, but chances are you will be OK. Try picking one up with a magnet. If it picks up, it has a higher iron content and may rust or discolor your teak. However, that can be fixed if it is passivated. Now we are getting technical again.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

With stainless it comes down to using the right alloy for the application. Metals are alloyed to produce specific properties within a materials. Quite often the characteristics that make the materials attractive in one application may have dire consequences when used in another application.

The material that is alloyed to be corrosion resistant and have enough ductility to be used to press sinks from flat sheets of materials isn?t necessarily the material you want to support the weight of a suspension bridge.

Having said that, no Lowes screws on my boat. Never will be. Freshwater you can get away with "less than ideal" grade hardware. Saltwater, not worth the $$ you save.

FWIW: Never seen nor heard of a stainless steel driver. Issues with surface hardening stainless. The tips of good quality screw drivers are surface hardened so your not going to cross contaminate stainless steel with a quality screw driver. Spotting on stainless screws comes from the piece not being passivated after the machining / forming process.

Never seen 318 stainless used in screw form. Typically used as sheet in the formation of sinks and stuff like that. For "marine" grade 316 or better yet 316L are what you want to use.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

With stainless it comes down to using the right alloy for the application. Metals are alloyed to produce specific properties within a materials. Quite often the characteristics that make the materials attractive in one application may have dire consequences when used in another application.

The material that is alloyed to be corrosion resistant and have enough ductility to be used to press sinks from flat sheets of materials isn?t necessarily the material you want to support the weight of a suspension bridge.

Having said that, no Lowes screws on my boat. Never will be. Freshwater you can get away with "less than ideal" grade hardware. Saltwater, not worth the $$ you save.

FWIW: Never seen nor heard of a stainless steel driver. Issues with surface hardening stainless. The tips of good quality screw drivers are surface hardened so your not going to cross contaminate stainless steel with a quality screw driver. Spotting on stainless screws comes from the piece not being passivated after the machining / forming process.

Never seen 318 stainless used in screw form. Typically used as sheet in the formation of sinks and stuff like that. For "marine" grade 316 or better yet 316L are what you want to use.

+1

Agree with everything written. I would NOT use Lowe's/HD stainless on my boat due to the fact that I boat in salt water. Before I knew better, I bought a cheap swim platform for my last boat. After one season there were rust stains all over the place from the fasteners. When I buy stainless anything now I look for indications that it's "316". And yes, it's pricey. The stainless cupholders I mounted on my current boat were 3 times the price of the "cheapies".

(you lake boaters have it made :) )

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

My local HD and Lowes has both 304 and 316 type SS fasteners.
But I still go to a mom and pop hardware store.
One that has a bit of everything all over the place, obviously never inventoried as to do so would be freaking nightmare.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Being a Contractor i found if i buy any metal fasteners,i buy them from a specialty store..in Calabash ,NC there's "Coastal Fasteners" for what you pay for 10 screws at Lowes or Home Depot , at CF , you can buy 50. Also they have a far better selection.

riding dirty

Recruit

google "wera screwdrivers" if you never heard of stainless steel screwdrivers before.

mako172

Seaman Apprentice

I guess the bottom line is you can use screws from HD or Lowes but there are better places. Use stainless screw drivers if you can find them. Thanks.

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Type 304 (18/8) SS for non structural decorative fasteners, they are not much stronger than plain mild steel (grade 1).

Type 316(L) for more demanding applications that require higher strength such as bolts. About the same strength as a grade 2 fastener.

Type 416 for high strength critical applications such as jackplate bolts etc. Close to grade 5 in strength.

If you want to prevent socket corrosion on robertson or allen head fasteners fill the head with silicone and wipe off excess, the plug of silicone is easy to remove later with a sharp awl or similar and makes removal of allen fasteners especially easy.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

some times it's good to listen you know, thanks also.