Hull Drain Plug for Four Winns Horizon 170 (1980)

DarkMountain

Recruit
My son and I are completely restoring a 1980 Four Winns 17' Horizon 170 for another son who is deployed overseas. The hull drain plug (Garboard Plug) on this boat is missing. The drain hole is a smooth metal sleeve with no threads. We are trying to determine what was/is used as a plug for this boat. Can you help?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hull Drain Plug for Four Winns Horizon 170 (1980)

Most I/O's use a threaded garboard plug, most Outboards use a rubber plug like these:

Ayuh,... Actually, in my experince, Better hulls have garboard plugs,+ lesser hulls use the rubber expansion plugs...
Regradless what powers 'em...

robert graham

Admiral

Ace hardware carries a variety of expansion type rubber pipe plugs. If you were worried about the durability or failure of the plugs then you might put one on the inside of the transom and another on the outside. I use a 2" diameter plug on the inside with no problems so far. Good Luck!

DarkMountain

Recruit

I am worried about the outside expansion plug failing and thus the reason for my question. Is this what you normally find in a case like this - and hence a widely acceptable solution?

Bondo

Staff member

Is this what you normally find in a case like this - and hence a widely acceptable solution?

Yes,.... My starcraft sits in the water 6 months out of the year with Only a rubber expansion plug...
They work extremely Well...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The good old standard expansion plugs have been used in everything from row boats to fairly good size runabouts for decades with no issues. Just don't start the debate about whether they should go inside or outside as it makes absolutely no difference.

DarkMountain

Recruit

Thank you all very much. I will try the inside and outside approach.