BOAT INSURANCE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEADVIEW

Cadet
Any one out there recommend a good Insurance co..<br />Pick up new boat this week... <br /><br />Thanks,<br />Meadview

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander
Re: BOAT INSURANCE??

I would begin with whomever insures your home and autos.<br />I have had State Farm for quite a while and have never been able to find anyone to beat them for coverage and price. Boat US and the like were several hundred more for the same (or less) coverage. Never had a marine claim personally, but have friends who did and all went well. Well, they did get the usual low ball $ settlement BS for the ahole adjuster but that quickly went away.<br />Just doing their job trying to save the company $$$.

CCrew

Chief Petty Officer

We have ours through Ski Safe(?), They underwrote the policy through Geico, where we also have our vehicles. $200 a year for us for boat and trailer. <br /><br />-Roger

Mettaree

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just for comparison try: Progressive.com<br />You can get a quote or buy on line.

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

Switched from State Farm (with them for over 30 years) to Progressive. S.F. would not honor a stolen boat storage trailer. :mad: To bad they lost my home, cottage, cars, boat, & jet ski coverages. I am now with an independent insurance agent and have policies with better coverage with Progressive and Cincinatti Casuality.<br /><br />Poor decision on their part. I am happy now since I have lower insurance costs and greater protection. :) <br /><br />Shop around like I did on the net before calling an agent. Know what coverages you need and what you want to pay.

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just something to consider about insurance...<br />I took a Basic Boating course offered by the USCGA and (after passing it and providing a copy of my certificate) my Grange agent gave me a 10% discount on my boat insurance. $$ saved on insurance every year is extra $$ for the gas tank...<br /><br />Brian

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have Boat US. Lost my 40’ Viking SF in a storm here in Houston couple of years ago. They cut me a check for the full amount no questions asked. I think they were using Continental.<br />---------------------------------------------<br />There are old sailor and bold sailors,<br />but there are no old, bold sailors.

mattttt25

Commander

if you happen to be in the military or retired...<br /><br />usaa simply cannot be beat by any insurance company. i pay $80/year for full replacement coverage on a boat valued at $14K.

kenneths

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm with American Family,house-cars and boat.....32.00per year for 16,000 coverage, 1Mil. liability on road, 3 mil liability on water.

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Well, Well, I never miss a chance to tell others my story of State Farm insurance, and their rotten coverage. Over 20 years ago, before I got married, I had been involved in 3 vehicle accidents. "None of them were MY FAULT" in fact, back in that day 2 of them were classified as Unavoidable Accidents they won't dare call one that these days. With 3 Accidents, no fault, State Farm sent a letter to me and my Dad, canceling both of us, after my dad had been insured with them for MANY MANY YEARS. Dad claimed OK, while your canceling my car insurance, cancel the house, and every policy I have with you. Needless to say, the State Farm agent, won't even knock on our doors, to this day, as we have made it plain, that no member of our family will ever have State Farm insurance, again. I have also told that Agent in front of his customers, that the Paper his policies were written on were only of good use in the Rest Rooms, if you were to run out of toilet paper. I didn't say it that way, but I'm sure you get the hint. State Farm lost a lot of other customers that day, and many more from that day. I am glad to say, that I when I got Married, my Wife and her family, had been covered by ALLSTATE, which they added me to her policy, and I have been with them to this day. Now I may be able to save a FEW dallors and go with a smaller Insurance Company, but for the amount of difference, I'd rather stay with a Company, which gave me a chance, when I needed one, I have not been in an Accident in my personal vehicle in over 20 years, but my wife has. I prefer, a company that is as LOYAL to their customers, as their customers are to them, and I like, hearing, That will not be a problem, WE CAN HANDLE THIS, when you get on the Phone with them. When I purchased my boat, ALLSTATE, faxed a Proof of Insurance Card to the boat dealer, so I'd have an Insurance Card, in my possession, to drive 7 hours home from Montgomery, Alabama. Try getting a Proof of Insurance Card, from some of those other smaller companies, I hear their customers, complaining they still have not received their card "IN THE MAIL YET" from the Ins Company, and they paid in Person. What kind of service is that? <br /><br />Anyway, I am always happy to tell others, the Potential Screwing they can expect from State Farm Insurance, and the Good service I have recieved from ALLSTATE! Good luck with what ever you decide. ;) <br /><br />GodsBeast (Ken Bates)

bomar76

Lieutenant Commander

Totally opposite experinces with State Farm here-<br />here are 15 years of coverage with them:<br /><br />1.Chevy pickup burnt in my driveway -total loss(happiest day of my life when that POS went up)---check for full amount within 7 days<br />2. Rear ended by a moron from Michigan who's Insurer attempted to weasel out of paying ---State Farm went to bat for me and handled everything - check from other company overnighted<br />3. Generator stolen from home --- check for replacement cost (less deductable) was at agent's office day after claim submitted.<br />4.Rear ended AGAIN by another idiot from Michigan (in Michigan - a no fault state) --- claim paid within 3 days.<br />5. Wife totalled her van --- check in hand 3 days later and they handled all the medical expenses.<br /><br />They have our policies for our home, 2 trucks, 1 car, 2 boats, and business and I have never had a complaint regarding their coverage, service, or business practices. The local agent and his staff have always bent over backwards to provide us the most cost effective coverage and take care of us when a claim has occured.

vaccfam

Seaman Apprentice

I have similar great experience with State Farm. Been with them for 30 years. Always paid claims promptly. When I insured mt boat, some things were already covered on my homeowners insurance so boat insurance was less.<br /><br />Mike

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Bomar76 and Vaccfam, Glad you got good service, I did too, up until the day of the cancel notice, for Me AND MY DAD, who had nothing to do with an accident. Oh and neither of us were ever late with a payment either! <br /><br />I hope, purely for your sake, you continue to get good service, and if you have any son's or daughters, which begin driving and get in a few scrapes, (which are not their fault) I hope they don't include you on their cancel list. Maybe they learned by now, not to do this. <br /><br />I know they are a large Company and probably have many satisfied customers. <br /><br />Vaccfam, Boomer gave some examples of claims he filed, being insured by them for 15 years. My incident happened over 20 years ago. Vac, you say you have been with them 30 years, or more, how many claims have you filed, over that time period. Mainly, how many approximatly 20 years ago to 30. I have talked to many that canceled approximatly 20 years ago, because of simular cancelations. <br /><br />Unlike Boomar's accounts, most of the Satisfied customers of State Farms, are people that pay prompt payments, and usually have miminal or even no claims. Of course they are like most Insurance Companies, they like people that pay the payments, and file no claims! My dad was also on their Prefered customer list, all the way up till he got his cancelation also.<br /><br />Also guys, I am not trying to start a war of any type, just curious, about this time frame deal with this company. It wouldn't matter anyway, this ticked my Dad off SO BAD, he'd diss-own any family member, that signed up with State Farm, now. It always made me wonder, if it was not for my accidents, way back when, would my Dad, now be saying he has been insured by them for 40 to 50 years, and was a satisfied customer, because he only filed a couple of claims over that time period. Just curious.<br /><br />Again, hope for your sake, you get good coverage no matter who your with.<br /><br />GodsBeast

Lark40

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Regarding USAA, I had coverage with them for my boats, but switched to BoatUS for a significant savings. I was paying over $350 for a boat valued at $8,000.<br /><br />I will always have USAA insure my cars and my house. But, the boat business is subcontracted and is not their expertise, hence the higher costs.

gss036

Commander

Stay away from Purdential, the 1st thing they look at is way not to pay. If they cannot figure out to get out of paying, then cut you a lowball check.

iwhitevt

Seaman Apprentice

gss036- add Liberty Mutual to that list. My wife was a passenger in a vehicle insured by them in an accident. with a helicopter ride, two shattered vertebrate, three broke ribs and apunctured lung- they still even tried to deny coverage of her medical expenses!

Capn Mike

Chief Petty Officer

Godsbeast, glad you're happy with Allstate. It's worth noting, though, that when Consumer Reports does surveys on insurance companies, Allstate is always at the tail end of customer satisfaction, and State Farm is at or near the top of the list. I believe State Farm is the largest insurer in the country, and am guessing they didn't get that way by screwing everyone....But, hey, don't let facts get in the way of your bias (I'll bet we could all get our rates lowered if insurance companies collected a nickel for every time some dude tells them those accidents weren't his fault.... ;) )<br />If I recall correctly, USAA, and some smaller companies in the east are always at the top of Consumer Reports lists. Also, insurance commissioner complaint lists are a great way to find out who does a good job in your state....you can usually find out by going on line.

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

My vote goes to boat US,15 years with them,usually the best price for coverage,good customer svc.,only had 1 small claim and got paid quick.Charlie

GodsBeast

Chief Petty Officer

Greetings Capt Mike, Like I said before, not trying to start a war, and I know that State Farm is a large company. And I fully noted that I am now Biased, and will continue to be. I also stated that this was 20 years ago, and State Farm has probably learned by now to quit this practice, to keep long termed satisfied customers. <br /><br />Meadview asked for recomendations, and I only gave him mine. I did state that my accidents were also over 20 years ago, 2 classified as Unavoidable (from my end, according to the accident reports, done by the Police). According to the Police report I was not at fault in the 3rd and last, but they quit using the term unavoidable at that time. The thing that made it so funny was 1 accident the other party was not insured, and the other two were covered by State Farm also, so State Farm had to pay for all three accidents. My agent at the time asked if I rode around looking for State Farm stickers to run into? I totaly understand that my rub with State Farm, might just be a case of having a Dip Stick Agent! If only I, would have been canceled, I could have understood, but canceling my Dad also, was just something that our family won't ever forget. <br /><br />Also just for my knowledge, conversations about Insurance and State Farm that I have had with others, usually end up with me hearing simular stories during the same time frame, of simular cancelation practices, around this area. We did not have Computers in those days, and to be able to discuss with common folk, like myself, if they had received simular cancelations, with a larger group of people, was my intentions when replying to Boomer and Vaccfam. In that post I also stated, they are a large Company, and probably have many satisfied customers. <br /><br />Also just for my knowledge, I was curious, to know if most of their Satisfied Customers, are those that have miminal claim files. <br /><br />I believe we all know that Insurance Companies (No Matter who) is a HUGE RACKET, but has been made a legal necessaty. And of Course every Ins. Company would like to have customers that pay premiums and don't file claims, that is how they make their Money!<br /><br />Lastly, I have never been contacted or surveyed to ask about customer satisfaction about any of the Insurance Companies, and would also be leary of a lot of the survey results, anyway! No telling what list they use to call to take their polls, or who they HIRE to do them! I'd rather get my references from common folk like myself, than trust the survey's. Maybe this was Meadview's idea by posting the thread, also. <br /><br /> Again, my question/reply was just for my information sake, I wished all well with whomever they choose. Also Captain Mike, I have not been shopping for Insurance lately, because I am satisfied with Allstate, and the service they provide me, with their can do attitude. I also appreciate the tip, if I ever would find myself no longer satisfied with Allstate, I now know where to start shopping. I hope you can understand, It won't be with State Farm, even if they are The top listed one! ;) <br /><br />Meadview however, my take your tip, check it out, and become one of State Farms valued Customers, and if so, I wish him well. <br /><br />To all a Good Day, GodsBeast

jconnalyjr

Cadet

I am thinking about switching from State Farm to Progressive for boat only coverage. I've had good luck with both. The reason that I'm considering Progressive is that I had recently had 2300.00 worth of rods and reels stolen from my boat. State Farm didn't cover that loss, except for homeowners w/ a high deductible. I was interested in Progressives coverage for fishing equipment. Is it any good and has someone out there made a claim with Progressive?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />JOhn

Status
Not open for further replies.