Navigation sticker on my dash (pics.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

a70eliminator

Captain
I wasn't catching any fish and got trigger happy with my camera and decided to photo this cool sticker on my dash (I mean helm), It helps me alot and nice to have in plain view, I wish I could find one for my other boat, maybe someone could make some up with a computer.

Attachments

• rules 007.jpg
    rules 007.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 3

ziggy

Admiral
Re: Navigation sticker on my dash (pics.)

i got one of them in my boat too. though, i've not brought myself to sticking it on. i'm not real hip to stickers. funny, that sticker is about the only thing left in my boat right now as i'm all cleaned up for winter...
think i may have got mine from the uscg aux during a boat safety inspection....

a70eliminator

Captain

Mine has been there since 1967' I had no idea you could still get them, I still use it, I got into some heavy traffic just today and had to glance at it. I know what mean but for me this is more than just a sticker and I hope to get one soon for my other boat, thanks for the lead.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Those reminders are a great idea. I still encounter people on the water with absolutely no clue about rights of way and no interest in educating themselves. Some twit actually went out of his way to circle around and cut me off because he thought (mistakenly) I had caused him some inconenience in a channel by taking the right of way that was mine all along. First case of water rage I had ever seen...:rolleyes:

Lesson for me was....when assuming your right of way, do so as if the other guy is a clueless idiot and will crash into you regardless.

As a handy reminder of the Danger Zone concept if you don't have a sticker -- look at your own navigation lights and imagine them as traffic signals to other boats.

That is, your red port light is telling those approaching from that side to stop or avoid you so you can proceed (as you have the right of way).

The green light on your starboard side is telling those approaching from that side they can proceed (therefore you have to stop or avoid as they have the right of way).

This assumes you can see your own nav lights tho. :D

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Red means stop and green means go. That was a great way to explain the Nav lights . Thanks!

a70eliminator

Captain

Red means stop and green means go. That was a great way to explain the Nav lights . Thanks!

Exactly.....
On a side note, a while back somebody had posted a U-tube video of a large boat I think it was actually the Goast Guard, anyhow it crashed into a small runabout and the big discussion was who was at fault and by this illustration it was clearly the Coast Guard boat at fault, wish I could see that video again, the guys in that runabout didn't even know what hit them as they were gualking at another boat and not watching their port side.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

LOL -- yes, red means stop, green means go. Thank you for simplifying it even more. :D

Up to a point anyway...The size of vessels involved does play a role and I won't pretent to be an expert there.

I'm not sure where the dividing line is but once it is clear one vessel is significantly more manoeuverable than another, it's probably prudent for the smaller one to git outta the way if at all possible.

I can tell you in the Toronto harbour with the island and airport ferries you will be mowed under if you press the issue. Helm response on those old girls probably isn't the best and traffic can get real congested.

Island-ferries5.jpg

photo credit bitemejack

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Whoa! Those dudes are lucky to be alive. Well, I can't say that CG boat was too big to change course or speed and they were certainly on the "red light" side of the appraoching boat as we discussed above.

However...if the CG is on some kind of official business I'm sure that probably plays a role. You can't just run into a cop sitting in an intersection even if the light is green for you. Tricky stuff - bottom line. Be very vigilant at all times.

timmyjoebob

Seaman

I'm a newbie, but from what I'm learning in America's Boating Course (Through US Power Squadron) and in the USCG scenario, if one powerboat is crossing from the starboard side, the other powerboat must give way. In this case, the USCG ship should've given way and should've given the danger signal, instead of trying to use their loudspeaker (IMO). However, the smaller boat was easily exceeding the definition of "safe speed".

They had non-USCG personnel at the helm at the time, according to the lead-in by the reporter on the scene.

That could've been ugly.

ziggy

Admiral

but from what I'm learning in America's Boating Course (Through US Power Squadron)
way to go. keep taking further advanced courses, it's fun and you'll be surprised at what there is to learn... and it's a lot. i'm not even close...
if one powerboat is crossing from the starboard side, the other powerboat must give way.
yep, from 0-112.5* you are the give way vessel.
In this case, the USCG ship should've given way and should've given the danger signal, instead of trying to use their loudspeaker (IMO). However, the smaller boat was easily exceeding the definition of "safe speed".
i'll guess they were both at fault. because for all the rules. the overriding rule is that a skipper takes all action necessary to avoid a indecent including breaking the rules....

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

this should not have to be on the dash. it should be in your mind, just like the rules of driving a car.

a70eliminator

Captain

this should not have to be on the dash. it should be in your mind, just like the rules of driving a car.

I know it shouldn't, but I still haven't memorized all the horn signals and marker designations, but yes the basic right of way is second nature.

seaboo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not to hijack but THANK YOU 45auto. I'd been looking for a premix only sticker for a lil while (just converted the jet skis to premix) and had been having a hard time locating those stickers.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

no way could take guy have not seen the coastguard. but the coast guard captain did not do all possible to avoid the collision, cut power, turn to port hard. i would say both were at fault. thus no fault. just stupidity.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The best reason to have these on your boat is to hand out to other boaters who need them. The best way to hand them out is to tie them to a 4 oz pyramid sinker!

STARCRAFT16SS

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you listen to the reporter....they are trying to block boats from coming into the area where the drowning victim is presumed to be....sounds like both
are alittle at fault....although I don't think they should run over, or ram a boat to keep them out of the area....at least not until they have been properly warned

Ned L

Commander

Let's keep in mind that no vessel has 'the right of way' so to speak. Both vessels have equal obligations under the law. One vessel is obligated to hold course and speed (so the other vessel knows what he is dealing with tactically), and the other vessel is obligated to give way by changing course and/or speed. Both vessels have equal levels of obligation, and the "privileged" vessel may not just do as he wishes & change course & speed all over the place. Likewise the ultimate obligation to avoid a collision is shared equally be both vessels by taking whatever action is required as a 'last resort'.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I feel like if you do not have the situational awareness to notice a patrolling coast guard vessel and stay away from it, especially with a flashing blue light, then you are at fault... JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.