Advice plating 40-30 year old trailer home build questions

gore

Seaman Apprentice
If I were to say it was home built what would I need to know or say?????

Trailer specs.

Steel c-channel frame
16 feet long give or take a couple of inches
68 inches wide (wheel to wheel)
about 350 lbs
single Axle
Green painting it black though

Cant see any serial number on it any where, rumor has it that it would be easier to say home built other wise I don't even know what company built it.

I know this has been discussed already but no one said what you will have to know if you where to say home built trailer, I really don't want to lie but I have no clear information on the trailer in the first place.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Advice plating 40-30 year old trailer home build questions

Here in Texas all they will ask will be it's value.

SCHRECK

Seaman

GORE
when i bought my boat it had a custom built trailer and no serial number either i just registered it as homebuilt no questions asked, my utility trailer the same thing. Peter:)

Moody Blue

Captain

Last two boats I've bought had home built trailers. No issue with getting a plate for them. When the ministry asks what make is it, tell them home made. They will want to know the color but not anything else, well except for a bill of sale or receipt to prove it's yours.

Somewhat worrisome knowing there are uncertified homebuilt trailers on the road. No concern from the ministry's point of view about weight capacity, construction techniques, road worthiness etc etc. I guess as long as it has two wheels and the proper lighting that's all that matters :eek::confused:.

I could have a homebuilt constructed from 2x4 lumber nailed together, and an axle tied to the frame with rope and it could be licensed:D

gore

Seaman Apprentice

Last two boats I've bought had home built trailers. No issue with getting a plate for them. When the ministry asks what make is it, tell them home made. They will want to know the color but not anything else, well except for a bill of sale or receipt to prove it's yours.

Somewhat worrisome knowing there are uncertified homebuilt trailers on the road. No concern from the ministry's point of view about weight capacity, construction techniques, road worthiness etc etc. I guess as long as it has two wheels and the proper lighting that's all that matters :eek::confused:.

I could have a homebuilt constructed from 2x4 lumber nailed together, and an axle tied to the frame with rope and it could be licensed:D

Yeah that is scary, but I guess they let the police deal with it once it's on the road. I have no worries about this trailer, except it needs sandblasting and repainted. I mean you can do a lot of unsafe things with licensed trucks/cars, that doesnt mean it's ok just matter of time before you get caught. But people can get hurt before that time, strange that they dont need a safety inspection or any major info like material used, weight, and what it will be used for. Thanks for your help guys

Jeep Man

Commander

If I were to say it was home built what would I need to know or say?????

Trailer specs.

Steel c-channel frame
16 feet long give or take a couple of inches
68 inches wide (wheel to wheel)
about 350 lbs
single Axle
Green painting it black though

Cant see any serial number on it any where, rumor has it that it would be easier to say home built other wise I don't even know what company built it.

I know this has been discussed already but no one said what you will have to know if you where to say home built trailer, I really don't want to lie but I have no clear information on the trailer in the first place.

Legally, if the design of the trailer is changed in any way, it is then properly deemed homebuilt. Almost anywhere, a trailer with no name or serial number would be deemed homebuilt. Some states require an inspection before re-plating.

My pontoon trailer used to be a 26' RV trailer.