Winterizing Inboard with No Antifreeze

romertrain

Recruit
I've got and old mechanic friend who is going to help me winterize my inboard Crusader tomorrow. He insists that antifreeze is not necessary as long as you get all the water out of the engine and anywhere else. He's never does it and he has lots of toys and is very knowledgeable, but it makes me very nervous. Is he right?

If I do use antifreeze, is the pink stuff enough to protect it. I live in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

thanks ahead of time....................romertrain

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Winterizing Inboard with No Antifreeze

as long as all the waters out of the block, go for it air dont freeze up and crack blocks.
remember to clean out the drain holes as they can plug with rust, chunks, etc
and possibly, try a shop vac to pull any extras out. did you read the how to winterize sticky :)
rob

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

I haven't used anti-freeze either, as long as you get all the water out. I agree, read the Sticky In the "Mercruiser,Omc,Volvo, & Other I/O & Inboard engines&outdrives" forum. Click on the "Adults Only" This should help you get started.

a70eliminator

Captain

It seems people worry about the little residual water left in the nooks and crannys of the far reaches of the block and therefore the antifreeze, I've never done anything but drain the water and Ohio's gets it's share of the deep freeze.
Little pockets of water I'm sure do get left behind and freeze but it's not enough to hurt anything, open air corrosion would be my primary concern not freeze-up, but my motor drinks freshwater so corrosion doesn't concern me too much.

Bondo

Staff member

I've got and old mechanic friend who is going to help me winterize my inboard Crusader tomorrow. He insists that antifreeze is not necessary as long as you get all the water out of the engine and anywhere else. He's never does it and he has lots of toys and is very knowledgeable, but it makes me very nervous. Is he right?

Ayuh,... He sure is Right,.... Listen to the man,... ya might learn something,....
He already knows, Air just Don't Freeze.....