Homemade Outriggers??? Anyone done it???

Knightgang

Lieutenant
I have searched but have not found what I was looking for. Next year I plan on rebuilding my boat. It is an 18' Center Console Cobia. I boat in the ICW off the GA coast including the sounds and might care to venture out to some known spots about 12-15 miles out. Additionally, I boat in a Large Lake just north of Augusta GA. When I do the rebuild, I am going to make some layout changes as well install a small Hard Top T-Top and I want to mount Outriggers.

Has anyone out there ever made their ouwn set of outriggers and about how much did you spend. I was looking on the web and any kit will run about $250-500 and I do not want to spend that much. I can make the mounts, but what have you guys used for the outrigger poles?

Should I buy 12-15' very stiff fishing rods, or would SCH40 PVC work? If I used PVC, I could step down the diameter as the length increases... Do you think it would work...

Any other suggestions???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Homemade Outriggers??? Anyone done it???

pvc will not hold up. UV rays will kill it.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I did not think about that, but you are right...

Thinking about aluminum poles, making them 2 piece with a coupler so that they can be taken apart for storage off of the boat.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I was afraid of that. I don't do that kind of fishing so I don't really know what I'm talking about. Dulp!

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I am not complaining, every post gets this back to the top of the list so that maybe someone sees it...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If you're serious about using outriggers bite the bullet and do it right.

I have a set of 15' Lee's on my boat. Even with the aluminum poles I some had issues when it got rough. The poles whipped around and kept popping baits out of the clips. I bought a set of the telescoping fiberglass replacement poles and on anything but the calmest days they where unmanageable. I ended up buying another a set of aluminum poles.

Can?t possibly see how making out of PVC would work