Glastron Boats and quality?

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Never heard of this brand but one popped up locally. Is this brand any good? I noticed the older ones had omc drives and only a tiny handful has mercs. Also the new ones have volvo drives. Overall I would likes some opinions.

Friscoboater

Captain
Re: Glastron Boats and quality?

Glastron is a legend. What year are you talking about? They are really good boats, but just like any other if it is not taken care of they will rot. in my opinion they have some of the best styling of any boat. Also all the Glastron I have seen around here are Mercruiser drives.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

We just sold the Glastron in my signature. Really hoping we dont regret it! One of the smoothest boats ever. We loved it!!!! I mean really loved it! Post 2000 they switched to VEC construction. One piece molds. NO wood!
Ours had fiberglass stringers but wooden deck.

Super good ride, quick to plane, great in moderate chop.
Overall feels very solid.

haulnazz15

Captain

Glastron is a runabout icon. They've been around at least since the 60's and the older ones have a distinctive paint scheme on the sides so you can pick 'em out anywhere. They are solid boats, but need to be cared for the same as any other boat. They areprobably mid-tier boats as far as quality and creature-comforts. I wouldn't rank them as high as Cobalt or Four Winns, but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.

Ever watch the James Bond movie Live and Let Die where he's racing up the river and jumps a dike (not a lebian)? That was an outboard-powered Glastron, a GT-150 I believe.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

They've been around at least since the 60's and the older ones have a distinctive paint scheme on the sides so you can pick 'em out anywhere. They are solid boats, but need to be cared for the same as any other boat. They areprobably mid-tier boats as far as quality and creature-comforts. I wouldn't rank them as high as Cobalt or Four Winns, but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.

You`re right but in my opinnion Glastron boats are better than Chaparral, Cobalt and goes even with Four Winns and SeaRay, nothing to envy.:p

did u notice the blue scheme paint in my pic?

Have Fun!

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You`re right but in my opinnion Glastron boats are better than Chaparral, Cobalt and goes even with Four Winns and SeaRay, nothing to envy.:p

Sorry, not so. Not even the same class as Cobalt. I'd say few would rate them up with Chaparral, Sea Ray or Four Winns either. Depends on which model and year, of course. New ones are close to entry level runabouts - maybe a small step up.

TRONMAN2000

Seaman Apprentice

I have a 2000 Glastron GX 205 WITH A Volvo 5.0GL engine and a SX drive. I have had it for a year and we love it! It's a perfect size for a family of four. Great for skiing, tubing, cruising, and fishing. It has no wood in the floor to rot! The only wood in it is in the seats and sun deck. It goes a little over 50MPH with my family and gear. Not bad on gas either! If you are mechanically inclined it is very easy to work on. All maintenance parts are easily accessible. (raw water pump, impeller, filters, etc.) Some will tell you that Volvo parts are impossible to find, but don't believe it. They are available. Maybe more expensive than Mercruiser parts, but they are better parts. I would strongly recommend a Glastron! There are great deals out there on new Glastrons.

haulnazz15

Captain

Agreed^. Doesn't hold a candle to a Cobalt or Four Winns, but the original pricetag of a Glastron is half of what those two are anyway. It wasn't meant to compete in the luxury-class of runabouts.

That being said, I still think that throughout their history, they are a mid-level boat with a mid-level price. They run well and ride well for their size, but you won't likely be seeing a whole lot of stainless steel or teak wood. I've only ridden in two Glastrons, an 18 and a 20ft version of mid-90's vintage. They are what I consider to be a mid-v hull, not really a deep-V but they make great ski wakes (pretty flat).

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Let's not forget that Glastron was the originator of the runabout deep vee hull and the design was extensively copied in the 60s and 70s. If you look at it from the right angles, it is a very "sexy" hull.

Can't speak about newer ones, but the older Glastrons were known to be prone to floor rot. They were a bit light in the topsides but this made them fast.

Me? I only own three Glastrons. Back in the 1970s, I cruised a 15 footer up the Hudson River into Lake Champlain and on into Canada, down the St. Lawrence Seaway, and back home to New York. It handled all kinds of water well.

Tubingluvr

Chief Petty Officer

I would have to say glastron is a mid-level boat, but if we are talking about the old GT's or carlson's I would take one of those over a Baja or Checkmate from the same time period.
I may be a bit biased as a classic glastron member of the Michigan Chapter.

oh2fl

Cadet

Well, lurking here in the shadows: I like what you all say of the Glastron.
We're finalizing a deal on a '98 SE195. Hope to have it brought up for a lake cruise and purchase on Wed/Thu.

Oh, the beginning of a new era ~ gettin' wet.
Good to hear the comments, info and stories.

PEACE and Be Safe

Friscoboater

Captain

The classics in their day were some of the best boats. My 81 SX190 has TONS of teak and loads of creature comforts that they really do not have today. I have the original bill of sale.

$19,000!!! That was pretty steep in those days. She has had the floors replaced and we are doing the engine this winter, along with the transom.

krakatoa

C`mon guys dont think that Glastron is a Mid-Level boat, its more than that, maybe not the better one but one of the best hull around today. Mine is from 1993 ad handle very well in rougt water, I can tell you since I "boating" in salt water, not lake. my deck is wood but stringers are fiberglass and looking down the wood its looks great, no complaints regarding "inside" the hull after 16 years already....

Pierutrus

I love mine.:D

BoatPic1.jpg

haulnazz15

Captain

, but pretty close to Chapparals and SeaRays.

Says the guy who can't spell it. I actually laughed out loud at this bit of wisdom.

A spelling error makes the opinion invalid? If we were speaking face-to-face how would you be able to laugh at it then? What a worthless post on your part. Obviously you had nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, so you resorted to being a spelling nazi. Good call there, slim.

jkust

Rear Admiral

A spelling error makes the opinion invalid? If we were speaking face-to-face how would you be able to laugh at it then? What a worthless post on your part. Obviously you had nothing intelligent to add to the discussion, so you resorted to being a spelling nazi. Good call there, slim.

Actually on the internet, when opining, a spelling error in an area where you claim to be in the know means a lot. Especially in this context. In person, I would likely have a different take since you seem to be up to speed on many brands. Welcome to the internet slim.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hey, guys! Can't we just have world peas?

The topic is Glastrons, not spelling and acrimonious replies. Ohhh! Big word--I guess that makes me right. LOL

Pierutrus

Still like mine!:D

IMAG0063.jpg

Oh........Time to winterize......NOT:D

I have a 1974 Glastron/Carlson CV16 and I get so many compliments at the lake it isn't funny. I know it's nothing like what to OP is talking about, but I'd say it's better than almost any 16' ski boat of it's time. I may be a bit biased though, being a member of the Classic Glastron Owners Association and Carlson Speed.