Cleaning boat engine compartment

arrkerr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My sterndrive's engine compartment (its a 91) is getting a little nasty. Old greesy oil caked up on the sides, and just general stuff from water being in there in the past, etc.

What kinda of cleaners can I use in there with out harming the boat? Is engine degreaser safe? What about cleaners with bleach?

I'll do what I can with soap and water, but I'd like to get it sparking clean.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral
Re: Cleaning boat engine compartment

Gotta tell ya..any of the lanolin hand cleaners work well!

They work on cold grease without water so ya dont have to have a hot motor like the automotive stuff.

Safe, non toxic and can really cut that old grime..dab a bunch on a dish sponge and get to it!

woosterken

Lieutenant

I use dawn dish soap and a toilet bowl brush :)
no more of a problem than washing your truck in the driveway

woosterken

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Well I'll tell ya what worked great for me while I was killing ants(differant thread). Mr Clean (orange) cleaner, while I was killing the ants I was like Hmm hate to waste the bucket full, so I cleaned under all the seat cushions(bow) the PFD storage(cooler) and the bilge compartment and both side compartments on either side of engine and it worked great for me!! I am not saying, thats what works best, Only I was very happy with the results and my boat smelled like oranges for a week, Oh origanly was looking to use something that was pet safe and these guys right here on Iboats recommended orange cleaner, Thats why I used it:) Boat was sqeaky clean!!

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Do It At Home,not At The Lake.