Garelick kicker bracket failure excuses!

rabijunco3

Cadet
Another insult to our intelligence! Installed 4 stroke 15 HP Yammie as kicker in my boat. Garelick bracket rated for 20 HP and 120 lbs. Motor weighs 113. Ran only at the shop for pre delivery inspection. Drove to water approx. 20 miles, interstate highway most of the way. Ran in calm waters breaking in the 200 HP. Came home and noticed the bracket is bending back where it attaches to the transom. Called Garelick and was told the bracket is not rated for 4 strokes b/c of their torque and that trailering the boat with the motor in the bracket voids the warranty. Is there really such a difference in torque between 2 and 4 stroke? You mean the boat can be run hard on choppy seas with engine in bracket, slamming down off a wave but the bracket can not take a ride on the highway because "the water is more forgiving"?? Who removes their 115 lbs. kicker motor everytime they are ready to trailer the boat? Sounds really Mickey Mouse to me. I guess I should have read the little print before I bought the bracket. Next time, no Garelick. They are not intended to take the heat. In the water we really need reliability, sounds like they are the weakest link in my chain now. Any comments?

Jack Shellac

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Garelick kicker bracket failure excuses!

The large print giveth and the fine print taketh away. Typical response from a short-sighted manufacturer. They could have created a lot of good will by doing you right.

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

And thats how so many company's lose clients one by one by one until there are none...

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I most likely have the same Garelick bracket sitting in the floor of my shed right now. Same weight limitation sticker. Installed a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke. Only stroke around was me watching it bounce going down the highway. Went to a welded solid bracket. Motor doesn't move a millimeter. Bracket doesn't any more either unless I trip over it.

BillP

Captain

Hexx no, if a 2 stroke won't break it neither will a 4 stroke. If the bracket won't handle towing it probably wouldn't handle hard boating use either. <br /><br />Sounds like Garelick is dodging the issue with the "torque" statement and also over rating the HP for that bracket. <br /><br />Thanks for the input. I'm getting ready to buy a bracket and will take this under consideration...as in look at a Garelick and buy something stonger from another manufacturer.

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Garelick makes a double base bracket that is supposed to be twice as strong as the single base brackets. I am not familiar with other manufacturers. I will be by the time that I need a new bracket in the spring.

Old120

Cadet

I have a 20 ft. bayliner with a 8hp honda on a OMC auxiliary motor bracket. I looked for a long time before I found one that would hold my 80 lb 4 stroke. The omc is rated for 85 lbs and I know they make one better than that. It's a real good unit,all S.S. I trailer 200 miles to my fishing spots with the honda on the bracket. However I do tie a strap on the leg of the honda to take away any bounce. On my roads we have lots of bounce!! They are a little bit priceie, about 950.00 cdn dollars. O, it's the one with the gas filled assist shock. My 80 lb motor feels like ten pounds or so when I lift it out.<br />Good luck

I replaced the 120lb rated bracket on my boat with one of the 4 stroke brackets that are rated for 175lbs. I wanted to put an omc bracket on there but would have had to do a whole lot of fiberglass work to do it as my boat is pre drilled and has studs for garelick brackets. I also have a strap that goes from the tie down eye to another eye that I installed on the motor well that straps it down for towing. I also take my 8hp Honda off after each trip and put it in the truk for long trips, not so much for the wear on the bracket as for fear of someone taking the kicker. <br />I can see the trailering being harder than some choppy seas on the bracket just because the kicker sits on the part of the boat that takes the least amount of beating in choppy water. When tailering the kicker can get bouncing and really create some leverage on the bracket.<br />The omc brackets are spendy, but they are stout. The only problem I have heard about with the omc bracket is making sure there is plenty of backing where you bolt on so the bolts dont pull through or cause to much flex in your transom.<br /><br />Good luck