Vaseline hull application

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer
Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant
Re: Vaseline hull application

Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.

I would go for that-
Opinions go on & on & on & , well, you know :rolleyes:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I simply apply it with a piece of an old towel, small area at a time then let it soak in the sun for a while followed by wiping with a cotton (old shirt) type cloth.
That's it and I won't even give my opinion on my thoughts on the finish.

MRS

Commander

I just posted in the other vaseline topic I used a foam wax pad to apply the vaseline I will let sit all nite and all day tomorrow. Then I will take a photo and post results. I did put some on some scratches about 4 weeks ago and it still looks good.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I simply apply it with a piece of an old towel, small area at a time then let it soak in the sun for a while followed by wiping with a cotton (old shirt) type cloth.
That's it and I won't even give my opinion on my thoughts on the finish.

thats not what i meant basically just didn't want people in here ranting about why you shouldn't do it but if you have tried it I'm definitely interested in the results and how long it has held up.

Im also curious as to how the sun helps does the vaseline just react to heat?

skargo

Banned

I have used it and am very pleased. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I let it absorb into the gel for a week! I was amazed at how well it cleaned my hull, and the fact that it removed oxidation quickly.
If you leave the jar out in the sun it will almost liquefy, and is very easy to apply.
After it sat for a week, I went over the entire hull with another microfiber cloth. After another week or so I applied polish on top.

Looks great!

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

I have used it and am very pleased. I used a microfiber cloth to apply it. I let it absorb into the gel for a week! I was amazed at how well it cleaned my hull, and the fact that it removed oxidation quickly.
If you leave the jar out in the sun it will almost liquefy, and is very easy to apply.
After it sat for a week, I went over the entire hull with another microfiber cloth. After another week or so I applied polish on top.

Looks great!

One week..? Its hot in Florida right now ;). I think I'm going to try 2 days of sunlight and maybe reapply next week. I stripped all of the poliglow off and I applied it completely(looks awesome). I have the boat sitting out where the sun can get to it but unfortunately it rained almost immediately after.

MRS

Commander

http://i44.photobucket

This was a test spot one day no polish or wax yet. I have gone over this spot with everything I had and I think I might go over the whole blue area with the vaseline only so far that has been the only thing that made it look like this. skargo how long has it held the shine and has any oxidation shown thru?
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/backoneday.jpg

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Mine is still looking great since mid June.

skargo

Banned

http://i44.photobucket

This was a test spot one day no polish or wax yet. I have gone over this spot with everything I had and I think I might go over the whole blue area with the vaseline only so far that has been the only thing that made it look like this. skargo how long has it held the shine and has any oxidation shown thru?
[IMG]http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f12/01drifter/backoneday.jpg

Mine has held the shine for a couple months now, and no more oxidation.

MRS

Commander

Thanks guys that is what I was hopeing to hear will wash and vaseline it tonight. If I do use boat this weekend no big deal for two bucks a jar will rewash after use and reapply Thanks again........:)

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I think I might try the vasoline trick on my boat... MY white hull is very oxodized and spotty. I do have some questions though.

Will the application of the product cause it to look spotty when it is removed? If I don't apply it perfect will I have areas that look better, and those that look worse. That was my major issue when trying to polish the boat before.

If I apply it to the boat and intend to let it sit, would there be an issue if it gets wet. The dew usually sets in, and lately we have been getting spotty rain showers. I want to apply it, let it sit for a few days, and pretty much KNOW it will end up raining within that timeframe. Is this going to be an issue?

Lastly, how much would I need to do a 27' express cruiser. I am really only concerned with the hull, below the rub rail at this time.

Thanks guys.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

The vaseline will shed the rain off your hull. Should not be a problem.

captharv

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Put the vaseline without the metal lid, into the microwave for about 10 seconds. softens it up. Try 10 second intrevals for liquifying.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander

Worked really well on the teal part of my hull. On the white part it either evaporated or soaked in...not sure which but in spots it was gone completely after several hours.

skargo

Banned

Put the vaseline without the metal lid, into the microwave for about 10 seconds. softens it up. Try 10 second intrevals for liquifying.

Mine liquefied in the hot sun when I left it outside by accident for the whole day.

MRS

Commander

my hull has a few spot that are a little spotty I did coat all the blue last night and will leave on till tomorrow. It does look like the spots are blending in with the rest of the colour so far will let you know. P.S. it is really looking nice......

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Rubbed in a thin coat on & left it a few hrs & hand "buffed" it out-
Looks 110% better :cool:
Time will tell :confused:

watermellonI

Petty Officer 1st Class

my boat partner and I did a cut and buff on outer hull from waterline up (boats under restore) then topside we must hve put on 2 jars of vaseline but our interntion is to leave it set. The vaseline melts in the hot sun and soaks into the glass, whn its cool it firms up alittle and acts like a barrier. unfortunatly the bugs tend to like it at night. We re just leavin it on for now to help prevent any oxidization.
You might try a little on your bow rail as well.