Vaseline hull application

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Re: Vaseline hull application

+1 on the Vaseline! Worked great on my 1986 Sea Ray. My family and friends can't get over how good my shiny RED boat looks, especially since it was a horrendous chaulky pink before. It didn't take much time at all, including a coat of wax on top of it.

I have owned a new boat before and even when new, I waxed my boat a few times a season. It looks like I won't even have to put that much work into my 25 year old Vaselined hull. I did it last August and it still looks great. I figure a couple times a season should do it.

Regarding resale, I think it depends on what boat you are talking about. Mine is a 25 year old bow rider. If I did sell it, it would probably be worth more than many other similar boats that old just because it is the correct color and shiny.

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I really cherish my free time so I think I'm going to try vaseline on my "78 Glastron. Only one question that I haven't seen on here. My boat has a closed in bow and is how my family and I board the boat. After the vaseline bakes a few days and is wiped off, will it get slippery when it gets wet?

Maddmaxfl

Recruit

I know the other use of Vaseline but you won't catch me using wax, compound or a buffer instead. Hehehe!

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry to be a fly in the vaseline so to speak... i mean the vaseline intensive care lotion ingredient list above... (sorry big bad 4x2) vasoline is really just a clean heav cut from petroleum separated by vacuum distillation and doesn't have any of those other ingredients in it.

OH, and let's be honest here. the reason so many of us would be afraid to admit that it might work... is because there ain't no way we're gonna be seen buying multiple large containers of it, nor have it on the boat. what would people THINK we were using it for?:eek:

I almost spit my tea out my nose on this one.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Welp, bad news. I just went out to look at my boat and my hull dissolved away to nothing, darn vaseline!

Just kidding of course, no oxidation has come back since I first put it on almost 3 years ago!:D

I almost spit my drink out again. Dang these funny sarcastic posts. Making the slow day at work go by faster.

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One last note, the look on the counter girl's face was priceless as I set down nothing but four tubs of vaseline at her register
;-)

This made my tea squirt out my nose........ahhhh the mental picture. Not to mention the burning nose now too.....

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I will try it onmy 89 Four Winns Project, just to see if the gel coat is worth a wet sand, polish, wax....etc. But have to finish the deck first.

SDSeville

Lieutenant

One last note, the look on the counter girl's face was priceless as I set down nothing but four tubs of vaseline at her register
;-)

Yeah, I saw an old buddy of mine in the check out line and I got a great look when he peeked in my cart and saw a case of beer and a large tub of Vaseline.

sprcpr

Cadet

Yeah, I saw an old buddy of mine in the check out line and I got a great look when he peeked in my cart and saw a case of beer and a large tub of Vaseline.

Imagine the look if you had asked him to come over later and help.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not going to enter into this discussion. Vaseline surely will make it shine.

A professional boat detail-er told me years ago NEVER wax fiberglass with a paste wax. It won't hurt it but it does not really help it.
Makes it look good but does not help it. Always use a liquid wax. The oils seep into the fiberglass and keep it "alive". If you do it over and over, it will bring oxidized fiberglass back to life.

Best thing for gel-coat? Keep it covered and never go out in the sun with it then you won't have that problem...ROTLMAO!!!!

I used to use Pledge on my motorcycle to keep it looking shinny. I bet that would also work...for a short period of time anyway!!

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I used Vasoline on my previous 1973 model year boat. The boat itself looked pretty good. Better than spending a whole weekend with a buffer. The biggest difference was in the extremely oxydized dash. Here's a before and after pic.

DSCN2066-1.jpg

DSCN2141-1.jpg

rlb9844

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Finaly got around to cleaning up my boat. I tried some vaseline on the starboard side of the stern. Got it good and hot, rubbed it on, and left it for about four hours in the South GA sun. Just went out and wiped it off. It looks alot better. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• 100_1986.jpg
    100_1986.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_1985.jpg
    100_1985.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1

Cannondale

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used Vasoline on my previous 1973 model year boat. The boat itself looked pretty good. Better than spending a whole weekend with a buffer. The biggest difference was in the extremely oxydized dash.

And how long will that Vaseline last? As long as doing the proper job with the buffer and really getting rid of the oxidized layer instead of hiding it with the petroleum? Seems to me that this is just hiding a problem instead of solving it once and for all......with spending a few hours with a power buffer to get the oxidized layer off and then waxing to prevent it from happening again.

C'est la vie....guess some would rather do half a job over and over than the whole job once and be done with it.

NYBo

Admiral

I imagine the petroleum jelly does actually remove a little of the oxidation rather than just covering it up.

Dolfan0925

Seaman

And how long will that Vaseline last? As long as doing the proper job with the buffer and really getting rid of the oxidized layer instead of hiding it with the petroleum? Seems to me that this is just hiding a problem instead of solving it once and for all......with spending a few hours with a power buffer to get the oxidized layer off and then waxing to prevent it from happening again.

C'est la vie....guess some would rather do half a job over and over than the whole job once and be done with it.

I've never read that a buffer will get the oxidized layer off.

infideltarget

Master Chief Petty Officer

Could we get a thread going on specifics on application and what has yielded the best results for you. I have searched all threads but have not come up with a concrete way of application. Ive applied it to a small area and after only letting it sit for a couple hours and I'm very pleased and it has already out shined everything I've tried before but want to know the best way to do it. This is not a thread to voice your opinion on using Vaseline but simply results and application for those who have already used it.

Think this thread may have veered a little from its intended purpose ^^^^^^^^^

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I did not do "half a job". I did the whole boat.:)
As far as doing it over and over, that never happened. The vasolene was applied in the spring of '09. It looked great all the way to the end of summer 2010 when I sold it.
As far as what it looks like now? Not my problem. The new owner can buff off what little paint is left on that old boat if he wishes.;)

Just stating my personal experience with jelly on my boat. Not saying it's the answer for everybody.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer

We have/still use vaseline on our boat, BUT it is stored outside on the trailer and when it rains, the vaseline comes off and reveals the oxidation that it covered up! After wipping the vaseline off, the color is BRILLIANT/SHINY, no doubt about that. Now, we haven't used boat wax after wipping the vaseline off, so that may be our problem.......not sure. From what I understand, the vaseline does NOT remove the oxidation, only covers it up. If a boat is stored inside, where no rain will hit it, then the vaseline shouldn't come off. Again, we haven't waxed the boat after wipping the vaseline off so that is what we will try the next time we do the vaseline thing. Oh, BTW, we do have a full cover on our boat, but the rain still hits part of the sides of it and that's where the rain takes the vaseline off and the oxidation shows up again.
We decided to go with the vaseline b/c it is so much easier for us to do. We are in our mid 60's and trying to wipe/buff the oxidation off of the boat was WAY to much for us to do. AND, we don't have the finances to have it done.