Vaseline hull application

ryanr623

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Vaseline hull application

So I've heard to not start new threads, especially for this subject. :D

Continuing on with the "Don't argue about it, just post before and after pics and application tips" theme. I think I put it on too thick because it took forever to get it all off. But left it on for 4 days in about 70-80 degree heat. Changed the color of my boat from chalkiness pink to manly maroon. I can now go boating without a paper bag over my head. Now to finish figuring out what's wrong with the engine. Not trying to make waves, for whatever reason this subject seems to do that. But I have a very low budget allowed by the fiance, and I need to save my money for silly things like motor parts. :)

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

SANY00011.jpg

SANY0002.jpg

Was gonna post two more pics, but the forum gods seem to think I am trying to post 8 photos instead of the allowed 6. Dunno.

Looks good, mine looked great as well. However, from what I have observed, it doesn't "get rid of" oxidation, only masks it. Mine comes back in about 6 months. Still worth it though..... very easy to do.

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

I tried the Vaseline about 3 years ago and yes it works but the 3m restore and wax with a good buffer and lots of time, working a small area at a time and getting the gel coat heated up came out much better. View attachment 83860

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ya know, it seems to me, all arguments aside, that the vaseline trick is, even if nothing else, a great way to see if your gelcoat is able to be polished up. If it's appearance significantly improves after application, it would probably be safe to say that it would be worth the effort to really buff and polish it.

sasto

Captain

Ya know, it seems to me, all arguments aside, that the vaseline trick is, even if nothing else, a great way to see if your gelcoat is able to be polished up. If it's appearance significantly improves after application, it would probably be safe to say that it would be worth the effort to really buff and polish it.

I agree......and I'm headed to our old boat and give it a try right now. I'm not ready to sand and buff yet, but maybe the vaseline trick will keep some embarassment away for awhile.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Its oil, a petroleum product for heaven's sake. Grease! Clean, thick grease. Lemon oil, WD40, 3inOne oil, used and unused motor oil, Crisco, Pam and Canola will all "slick 'em up! People use Vaseline for cuts and scrapes, diaper rash and some use it their hair amongst other things. While you're spreading grease, go on and glisten up" all of your hoses too and make 'em shine like your boat. I'd keep it off the prop though. Prop slip is a booger.

skargo

Banned

Welp, bad news. I just went out to look at my boat and my hull dissolved away to nothing, darn vaseline!

Just kidding of course, no oxidation has come back since I first put it on almost 3 years ago!:D

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

Welp, bad news. I just went out to look at my boat and my hull dissolved away to nothing, darn vaseline!

Just kidding of course, no oxidation has come back since I first put it on almost 3 years ago!:D

Dude where you been??

DaNinja

Lieutenant

Vaseline is for boat owners too lazy to do a little buffing.

:rolleyes:

MartinTD

Recruit

Long time reader and first time poster.

I have an '87 fiberglass bass boat that is faded to the point where the surface feels porous. It's not quite where I'm getting fiberglass in my arms from rubbing them on it but it's in bad shape nonetheless.

I've tried many different products as well including, restorers, waxes, etc. which all work for a short time. Some much shorter than others.

Now I am leaning towards trying to apply some type of clear coat to actually "seal" the surface. However, people don't seem to recommend clear coats much. (Like some spray on) I may have to try this vaseline trick but I don't want a boat that is slippery as heck either.

Even if I applied vaseline once a month or so, way less time then going through the waxing process.

So, call me lazy or what you will but personally, I like to spend my time ON the water, not looking at the boat in the driveway.

Capt'n Chris

Chief Petty Officer

Vaseline is for boatowners,the same ones who trot on down to the local builder's supply store looking for ways to fabricate missing or replacement boat parts.

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1st 2 pics are obviously b4 Vaseline...the 2nd 2 are afterward. I have NOT polished, just wiped down.020.jpg022.jpg002.jpg003.jpg

mlrman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No debating or opinions offered here, just the simple fact that I used a tub of vaseline on the entire hull of my boat, and it really made a difference.

I rubbed it on the hull very generously, and used a power buffer to work it in and spread it evenly. It definitely reduced fading, bringing back the original color. Also gave it a nice shine.

Other observations:

it did seem to pick up more dirt on the front of the hull from trailering down the road, but nothing that doesn't come off after a wash.

It really makes the water bead, and seemed to be easier wiping/drying down after a boating trip.

It seemd to fade toward the end of the season, so I will apply again this season.

One last note, the look on the counter girl's face was priceless as I set down nothing but four tubs of vaseline at her register
;-)

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im a vaseline user or is it an obsession. I vaseline the boat once a month. Coat it on thick and let the AZ sun do its work for a few hours and wipe it down with a Shammy. My boat is no where oxidize but it sure brings out the shine. Almost blinding in the sun. Also a Plus it don't get water spots. I need to get some rubber gloves because its a mess on the hands.

I even have vaseline the trailer. :eek::D

BayouRunner

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I wasn't going to say anything at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it irked me. I don't appreciate being called lazy and cheap and whatever other derogatory terms some of the posters on here have used concerning my (and others) choice to use Vaseline on our boats. I am not about to spend a ton of money nor what precious time I do have enjoying my boat, on something that is 21 yrs. old. Sanding and waxing and buffing would take at LEAST 1 of the 4-6 days I have to fish. I'd rather spend a short amount of time with a jar of Vaseline and more on the water than more time sanding and waxing and buffing, and less on the water. For those who think this is lazy and cheap, drive down to Louisiana and pay for/do it for me. If you're not willing to do that, stay off my poop deck.

Summer Fun

Banned

Buyer, Hey how did you get it to shine like that.

Seller. Oh I just used Vaseline on it.

Buyer, OK thanks :facepalm:.... as you see him driving away.

skargo

Banned

I wasn't going to say anything at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it irked me. I don't appreciate being called lazy and cheap and whatever other derogatory terms some of the posters on here have used concerning my (and others) choice to use Vaseline on our boats. I am not about to spend a ton of money nor what precious time I do have enjoying my boat, on something that is 21 yrs. old. Sanding and waxing and buffing would take at LEAST 1 of the 4-6 days I have to fish. I'd rather spend a short amount of time with a jar of Vaseline and more on the water than more time sanding and waxing and buffing, and less on the water. For those who think this is lazy and cheap, drive down to Louisiana and pay for/do it for me. If you're not willing to do that, stay off my poop deck.

Don't sweat it. I jokingly called myself lazy and cheap in this, or another Vaseline thread, and some people ran with it.

I am a proud user of Vaseline(on my boat pervs!)

I try not to let the internet twist me up anymore, life is too short.