Vaseline hull application

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Vaseline hull application

It works simple but it is a quick fix but I will say I've tried polish,spent $70 on a poliglow system and still wasn't happy. even if i have to reapply this stuff every month it is worth it to me. BTW the contents listed are not for Vaseline they are for the lotion they make. Vaseline's only ingredient is white petrolatum USP 100%..

prove it

;http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum_jelly

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as IT DOES remove the oxidation I will try it too, I have spent who knows on all the BEST MARINE PRODUCTS & auto to just get frustrated in the end and still have to redo my boat every two weeks because it looked like I haven't done nothing to it ARRRG!! I have done exactly what the directions said to do and I get tired of doing it every two weeks(I MEAN HOURS) of washing and polishing when I should be out boating or working on other things on the boat I want to get done, I already bought a jar af vaseline and if it is going to save me the time every two weeks of killing my self to get the results then I am sold, If you think its worth it then do it, if not then don't it's that simple. I am smart enough to figure out what works best and what doesn't, I have tried the other ways just to be frustrated later, If it doesn't work for my situation then I will go back to the drawing board and do it the other back breaking way I did before. It's that simple!!
i think i need to get into marketing i cant belive this stuff

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

i think i need to get into marketing i cant belive this stuff

Can't believe what stuff?? I figured I will give it a shot, If it doesn't work then I will go back to the old way. Actually I posted along time ago that I wanted to prep the whole boat and tape her up and spray on CLEAR coat like you would a corvette being fiberglass itself, and be done with it. But I haven't read where any one has done the same thing, Hmm I might start a new thread on that. I am going to try the vaseline and if it works then thats what I will do from this point on, I will take pics before and after.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

There are a few who say it removes oxidation. I don't claim that. I think it fills the voids in the oxidation but if it does remove oxidation then that would be great. I just don't see what ingredient would remove oxidation as it would have to be pretty aggressive.

I'm assuming your asking me to prove that its 100% petroleum well my source was the back of the product. I'm no expert on the stuff I just know it made my boat's finish look twice as good as poli-glow did and I have to reapply the poliglow every couple months just to achieve the lacking finish it produces.
No need to be abrasive because frankly no one asked your opinion and you have never tried it.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

No matter how many people want to say otherwise about it. It does work and gives a great looking finish to an oxidised hull in a very short space of time. That's all there is to it !!!!

FBPirate95

Master Chief Petty Officer

No matter how many people want to say otherwise about it. It does work and gives a great looking finish to an oxidised hull in a very short space of time. That's all there is to it !!!!

AMEN!

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

if you have enough gel that it looks decent with vaseline on it, then try wetsanding carefully, followed by aquabuff2000 on a high speed buffer (2000-3000 rpms) with a good 3m lambs wool pad (about $25). then finish with either 3m machine glaze or better yet, finessit 2. if there oxidation's too deep, then grease it down with your favorite vasoline... (I noticed that Mobile 1 5w-50 works pretty well on clear gel over black and flake today when I was putting a little oil in the machine...).. or you wetsand and just can;t get through the haze, you can degrease the bejezuz out of it, rough it up and shoot it with urethane clearcoat... see if skargo will give ya a deal. :D

MRS

Commander

I did post a test photo and it has been a couple of days it has been on now and all I can say is it looks way better that it has. I did try sanding buffing compound you name it I tryed it tomorrow I will wipe it down and polish it. It makes me laugh that it upsets some so much but hey it works for me and a lot of other folks we are not talking about putting this on gelcoat that is in excellent shape. If it was we would and could do the regular stuff but it does not work on the old stuff. Will post more photos after polish and wax.:D

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

NO ONE HERE DOUBTS It WORKS, WERE TRYING TO PROTECT YOU FROM YOURSELFS AND APPLYING SOMTHING THAT WILL be very difficult to undue, sterling and awlgrip make a clear coat which is untinted top coat. the sanding wont always work .somtimes the gelcoat is just gone beyond repair. even reaplying gel coat wont last unless you use a high quality gelcoat thats only been on the shelf a short time. an automotive secrete is mop and glo , and pledge as well . after applying you should sell vehical cause you just screwed it up.baybe oil on the trim etc. go ahead

a70eliminator

Captain

I have to disagree with that one, I've already found that if you wipe it with prep-sol you're instantly be right back dull and faded.
Now I'm sure some professional out here is going to start talking about the microscopic layers, my boat is 40 yrs old and the vaseline is a drop in the bucket to whats been on that hull. I have no doubt that I could get out my buffer and some meguires oxidation remover and cut it right down, I'm just concerned enough about the looks to put forth the effort.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I'm just glad this did'nt turn into yet another heated name calling put down debate :rolleyes: :D

skargo

Banned

I'm glad people are equating vaseline to top coats and clear coats LOL, what kind of drugs are people doing while they are posting?

Once again, for the thick headed amongst us, no one is recommending vaseline for anything other than an oxidation remover, and cleaner, with the added benifit of a nice shine.
My own reference to body shops was to address the comments made that it would be difficult to remove(wrong).

How people equate this to clear coat, and top coat is just bizarre. I wish more emphasis was put on teaching kids reading in school. :D

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

I used vasoline on mine this past weekend... My reasoning for this? I don't have the time and funds to dedicate to sanding and buffing the hull. I did however have the 45 minutes or so it took me to clean and vasoline the one side. Here are my comments on it.

Before you vasoline, you need to do your best to clean the hull. I had sections of the hull I had cleaned with different techniques. These areas were either lighter or darker than others. The vasoline actually cut down on the drastic difference a little, but other areas it didn't change the look. The vasoline went on fast and easy as can be. I would recommend gloves though, as that stuff just feels wrong between the fingers. No worries either way, it wont ruin anything. I let it sit from Friday afternoon to Sunday evening in the 85-95 degree heat. I "polished" it off and was happy. It gave a more unform look to the hull side, was much much shinier, and took little time to do.

I will say this, I know where the hard heads are coming from saying we shouldn't do this. In the end I have a 1988 express cruiser. There are 385749394 of them out there. I'm pretty sure my little vasoline trick is not going to end the world. Sure if some day comes and I want to paint this boat, I will be annoyed at myself. But why it irks some on here to the point of yelling, boggles my mind. Let those who want to try it try it. Let those who want perfect products and to spend the extra time and money to do it right, do so as well.

Here are a couple before pics. Not sure if you will see how bad it was, but it was chalky, spotty and just unkept.

Port_Bow.jpg

IMG_1871.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1834.jpg

Here it is during, and after the application:

IMG_1891.jpg

100_0097.jpg

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry for the lack of good photos. I might snag some this weekend. If you look on the bow close up photo, you can see an area I missed. This shows a difference between the vasoline and the hull before. It added shine to it and made it look a good amount better.

shvy

Seaman Apprentice

I to used Vaseline on the side of my hull, has any body try some on the bottom of the hull? I like the way it works and it looks good,
and its easy on need for pain med.

OnTheWaterNow

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was doing some work om my boat getting ready for a weekend trip.Came across the vasoline tip. tried it out came out great. Did whole hull. Gained 2.5 mph on top end. Not sure if it was from the vasoline or the new ss prop.:D I did it in the garage because it was like 95 outside. when I pushed it outside in the sun I was like WOW my hull is a light bronze flake.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

I did the hull above the waterline , as the boat was floating in chest deep water at the local sand bar.my 26ft exxxpress cruiser with 1/4 of a $3jar. i spread it thick with a sponge from can of car wax and polished with a couple of hand towels the next day and it has looked great for a month so far.
the boat is kept in a covered wet slip and had a little dirty water line mark and it wiped right off.

it worked so well a buddy did his.

:D---put that in your pipe and smoke it!

CoralReefer

Cadet

Here's a nice shot of what what I'm up against.
2010-03-28144356.jpg
I was going to go wet sand up to compound, etc. I'm worried with the silvering of the metallic gel that I'm pretty thin. I'm going to try a small test spot. I'll take photos before and after.

Dolfan0925

Seaman

So I've heard to not start new threads, especially for this subject. :D

Continuing on with the "Don't argue about it, just post before and after pics and application tips" theme. I think I put it on too thick because it took forever to get it all off. But left it on for 4 days in about 70-80 degree heat. Changed the color of my boat from chalkiness pink to manly maroon. I can now go boating without a paper bag over my head. Now to finish figuring out what's wrong with the engine. Not trying to make waves, for whatever reason this subject seems to do that. But I have a very low budget allowed by the fiance, and I need to save my money for silly things like motor parts. :)

SANY0001.jpg

SANY0004.jpg

SANY00011.jpg

SANY0002.jpg

Was gonna post two more pics, but the forum gods seem to think I am trying to post 8 photos instead of the allowed 6. Dunno.