Data & Capacity Plate Questions

dmbfan7810

Cadet
Hey all,

Been reading the boards for a while now and just decided to join. Great place!

Couple questions about data plates. I posted a pic of a project boat I recently purchased here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335927

1. I cannot seem to find the HIN plate at all. It's literally not attached, anywhere. How do I go about fixing this problem?

2. The manufacturer plate that is normally attached showing the serial number is also gone. When I picked up the boat, I noticed what looked like half of it on the deck but all I could read was the serial number. Since stripping the interior, now I can't find that half. Probably lost in the garbage now. Is there any way to get a replacement?

3. This boat also does not have a USGS capacity plate. Is there someone I can call that help me replace this as well? My first issue there is not knowing what model the boat is. If someone could help me there, that would be great!

Thanks in advance for the input!

bustermin

Banned
Re: Data & Capacity Plate Questions

Hey all,

Been reading the boards for a while now and just decided to join. Great place!

Couple questions about data plates. I posted a pic of a project boat I recently purchased here http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=335927

1. I cannot seem to find the HIN plate at all. It's literally not attached, anywhere. How do I go about fixing this problem?

2. The manufacturer plate that is normally attached showing the serial number is also gone. When I picked up the boat, I noticed what looked like half of it on the deck but all I could read was the serial number. Since stripping the interior, now I can't find that half. Probably lost in the garbage now. Is there any way to get a replacement?

3. This boat also does not have a USGS capacity plate. Is there someone I can call that help me replace this as well? My first issue there is not knowing what model the boat is. If someone could help me there, that would be great!

Thanks in advance for the input!

I looked at the photo of the vessel in the picture via the link. there is a Title Number on the side of the vessel (that number will never change, unless the title is rebuilt). The vessel HIN should be on the title and the model of the vessel should be there as well but i think it may be optional. I think to get a new capacity plate you need to have the vessel recertified, but there is a formula to figure out max motor so you dont overpower the vessel you can use this link to get the max hp rating formula. (http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/julqtr/pdf/33cfr183.53.pdf).

dmbfan7810

Cadet

All the title lists is the serial number, manufacturer, and year. Doesn't mention model or anything else.

Numlaar

Chief Petty Officer

The first thing to do would be to contact the boat manufacturer and see if they can supply you with a replacement plate...

If you need to find the manufacturer, you can plug in your HIN HERE

That will supply you with the manufacturer's information...

If they are out of business, then you are pretty much SOL... I have spent a week or two trying to find a replacement for my boat, but have come up empty...

I have decided to "fudge it" and have one made at a local trophy place.. (they can etch a self stick plate)... I am sure that if I were to be stopped and inspected, it's going to pass...

You can use this formula to determine your max capacities (persons/weight)

"To answer your question for it being the capacity plate. If you are
unable to obtain this information from the manufacturer, then you can use
this formula to determine what your boats capacity is;
vessel length (feet) multiply vessel width (feet) dived by 15. This will give you the total maximum number of people you may have your boat. You can take the total number of people then multiply by 150, this will give you the
total maximum weight limit."

The only issue you would have is knowing what the max horsepower would be... in my case I knew from having owned two of these same boats... so I have all of the information needed to have a new plate made...

If you know the max HP or can find it from someone, then you can use the formula for the rest, and have a new plate made up as well...

Good luck!!

Here is my old thread on this: Clicky

bustermin

Banned

All the title lists is the serial number, manufacturer, and year. Doesn't mention model or anything else.

Have you tried the Starcraft website (I am not familar with them are they still in bussiness?) you may be able to call the mfg and they might be able to give you the information you need.

dmbfan7810

Cadet

Thanks guys for your input!

Since I don't know the HIN, that's what I need to determine first. I'll give Starcraft a call to see if I can get anywhere with them. Hopefully, they can get the information I need in replacing the data and capacity plates.

Thanks again!

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Look at your transom - starboard side right under the gunnel - or rubrail. Should be stamped into the glass. Another thing to consider is that you are in a little 'gray' area concerning plates and HIN #'s. The capacity plate was required after 1971 - so even though you have a 1973 model it still could of been produced in an earlier year and sold as a '73.
Secondly, boats over 20 feet are not required to post a capacity plate. Funny thing is that I have a 24 foot, 1988 Pursuit and it does have a plate - go figure.
So armed with that info I'd probably do as mentioned above and give Starcraft a call and get the real scoop http://www.starcraftmarine.com/

bustermin

Banned

Thanks guys for your input!

Since I don't know the HIN, that's what I need to determine first. I'll give Starcraft a call to see if I can get anywhere with them. Hopefully, they can get the information I need in replacing the data and capacity plates.

Thanks again!

On my boat the serial number on the title is the same as the HIN