What is the difference between tilt and trim?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: What is the difference between tilt and trim?

Tilt is trailer position, IO or Outboard
Trim is area from full down to up a certain amount to achieve best ride, speed and rpm.

hibbert6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I believe that Trim is the angle at which your prop shaft enters the water, in relation to the transom. It's easiest to picture with an outboard. If the motor is straight down and the prop is sticking straight out at 90 degrees to the transom, that's not trimmed at all. If you move the bottom of the motor away from the boat, so the prop is sticking up a little bit, you've trimmed the prop. This gives you more oomph "out of the hole", but reduces top speed and might affect planing ability.

Someone else chime in and correct me if I'm misguided! :)

Dave

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

Tilt is trailer position, IO or Outboard
Trim is area from full down to up a certain amount to achieve best ride, speed and rpm.

Thats pretty much it-
Trim is for running-
Tilt is for getting the motor UP for obvious reasons or back down to use the trim :rolleyes:

fabrimacator21

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's pretty much it....

But older I/O boats like my omc I/O will tilt the entire motor and I/O to trim... tilt just moves the I/O. They do this because that way you don't put any more stress on your ball gears or ujoint.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

On outboards: some have power tilt (one function) and some have tilt and trim (2 functions). Each has one large centered hydraulic piston. T&T also has two small pins the motor rests against; they extend/retract about 4" when the motor is all the way down against them. They're made to hold agains the running pressure.
I have or had T&T on OMC 55's and a 70 and a Yam 150. But on a yamaha 50 all we have is the tilt. However, we have used it for trim for years of heavy use no problem. So while the trim looks like a good idea I question how necessary it is--of course the smaller the engine the less it would need it, but 50 is a decent size.

ckone0814

Petty Officer 1st Class

FWIW trim also refers to proper weight distribution in the boat - so that it sits in the water and runs optimally.

For instance, before running captains should "trim their boat" by making people move from front to back, port to starboard, etc to equalize the load.

A really good book that describes boat terms and concepts well is Powerboat Handling Illustrated by Robert Sweet - it is very well done and easy to understand. I refer to it often.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

the term tilt and trim originated back in the days when you often had two different cylinders/pumps for tilt and trim functions. trim was a low volume/high pressure pump that was for running attitude. tilt was a high volume/low pressure pump that would run it up the rest of the way for trailing. Trying to run tilt while the engine was moving could blow a fuse or a hose.