Upholstery "Buttons?"

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Upholstery "Buttons?"

What a day.

Left a little eary from work so I could get this bastard done before the big weekend. Just made it!!

Here is how it happened.

I used a 2 part epoxy on the back of the tabs, and then stapled them down to the board:

a9photo.jpg

That held VERY well. I was happy with it, but I decided to take it a step further:

Took scrap parts of vinyl and wrapped them around the tabs:
a6photo.jpg

Did that all the way across:

a7photo.jpg

Ready to go back together:
a8photo.jpg

AND.....

md-lucky

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It worked very well!

But, it just wasn't EXACTLY what I was looking for. They just don't have the clamping force that the bolts do. So, the wood wasn't pulled against the boat like it used to... Leaving a small gap between the back of the rest and the boat.

Small enough that 99.9% probably would have ignored it and moved on.

I ran through all the options in my head. I wanted to be able to get out on the water, so I finally caved and put some nice stainless steel screws in the them. I tried to position them where no one would sit and get a nice brand:

a5photo.jpg

And THAT did it. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. So, I'm going to live with them.

Where the little tabs really shinned was on the small backrests by the window. They held perfect in that spot.. There is no curvature, so they hold fast against the fiberglass and flat.

a2photo.jpg

Final product:

a3photo.jpg

Feels really good to be done with this part of the boat. It took me about a week's worth of evenings to finish it. If I had a shop, I would probably have even more done. It is a little frustrating to finish a project and look back at the rest of the boat.. It just needs so much work still. Oh well, I will keep chipping away at it as I can.

a1photo.jpg

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

The screws dont look bad at all. I like it, good luck on the rest and keep us posted.

calvinman

Seaman

Looks Good md-lucky!

not bad for a weeks worth of work!

Iwas talking to my wife about re-upholtering of boats and the use of the "Z" clips and how they would hold the seat back 5/16" off of the boat.

She said that is probably why the re-upholtered boats she has seem have a thicker than usuall welt around the seat. This would hide the gap between boat and seat back.

I am going to get hold of my boat upholering friend and see what he thinks of the "Z" clips that I gave you a link to. It would save him getting them custom made every time he runs into such a situation.

Calvi

Patfandango

Cadet

Hey, I had seen this thread a while back and can't remember if I mentioned I have that exact same boat. I bought it in 09 and had a blast with it all summer. Going out in it for the first time for the year this weekend. Last month I took all the vinyl and wood off and cleaned, sanded, re-teaked, etc. I also buffed out the hull. I wish I had new vinyl graphics as the ones on there show their age. Other than that though the boat looks great. You'd never know it was an 87. I was lucky, the previous owner kept it covered or inside so the vinyl is still in good shape. I'll try to post some pics.