Sole VS Deck and other common mis-used boat part names.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
This is just an FYI and your comments are welcome.

Over the last few months I noticed the use of the term "sole" used to describe the floor of the typical small craft owned by members on these forums. Never having read the term "sole" in a boat I decided to learn more about boat parts names, and this is what I found regarding Sole and Deck:

"Sole" as I can find it, is exclusively used to describe the interior floors in yachts. I never found "sole" used to describe the floor or any part of a small motor craft. When searching for boating terms, "sole" is often not even on the list of descriptive terms.

"Deck" is used to describe a number of boat parts. In a small runabout like the blue MFG Niagara in my signature, both the floor and the area in front of the windshield are called decks. Any exterior horizontal surface can be called a deck. Any horizontal surface that covers a compartment (like a bilge) can be called a deck. There are Fore decks and Aft decks. You can be Above deck and Below deck. On an air craft carrier, the term "deck" is used to describe dozens of parts of the ship. The term "deck" pretty much covers any horizontal exterior surface of a boat.

Another term that appears to be mis-used is "cockpit". A Cockpit by strict definition is the recessed area on a deck (it is below the deck surface) where the Helmsman is stationed to control the wheel or tiller of a boat. This is a term I found almost exclusively used to describe an area on a sailboat. In ships and yachts it is sometimes called the Wheelhouse or Bridge. The closest commonly used term I could find to describe where the captian sits in a small craft is "helm", as in "he is seated at the helm". Althoug I think "cockpit" is a good term to describe the captians seat in a small motor craft.

Myself, I like to keep things simple. So "deck" works for me to describe any part of a small craft you walk on. And I do like Cockpit for the helm area. But I'm flexable. Like I've posted before, use sole if you like, I'l know what you mean.

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Sole VS Deck and other common mis-used boat part names.

Well hmmmmmmmmm . . . my biggest biotch is Fenders being called Bumpers or even worse, Buoys. Hate that!

I can think of the term "molded sole" being used on small CCs and other 20 ft. type fishing boats.

I think I kinda use Cockpit for the whole recessed area that the helm is in. So in a typical bowrider the rear seats, passenger seat, and helm seat would all be within the "cockpit"; the bow seats would not be. I don't really know what I call that, but it is forward of the cockpit's "bulkhead" . . .

To me "Helm" includes the seat and the wheel and the dash and the throttle controls. All of the area and stuff within the operator's reach.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I will smile at "deck" and continue to frown at "floor". :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Well I kind of agree Bubba, but so what? Secret Clubs are cool, annnnnnnd, there are certain specialty terms that provide value.

Port and Starboard are a great example of both secret handshakes and necessary terms. Left and Right do not cover it when you can turn around and look the other direction . . . ;)

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Thats why I said "most". :D

Where I get testy is when I see some new owner ask a question (even here) about say the "floor" and everyone jumps in screaming its not a floor its a deck. Oh well, people like thier secrect clubs and handshakes I guess...

Yeah, like those guys that build houses. They're always using secret words like "joist" and "rafter" and "header" and "footer". Why don't they just call them what they are? Their just boards!!!! Call them boards!!!!

:D

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL :D This topic makes some people Bored . . .

Edit: When I worked in the CAT dealer parts department, we decided one day that everything was either a thing or stuff . . . That worked great :rolleyes:

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, like those guys that build houses. They're always using secret words like "joist" and "rafter" and "header" and "footer". Why don't they just call them what they are? Their just boards!!!! Call them boards!!!!

:D

No,I'm afraid we cant do that...rules...how would you feel if when your doctor while examining you, referred to your liver as "that mushey thing" would you balk at his bill under those circumstances?..sure you would. so to keep my trade respectable we need cool terms for things...see?

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I am still trying to explain to the wife what "Captain" means. Every time I say Port she yells at me... So now I just point and say over there!!! Docklines become the ropes in the front starb.... uh over there.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

There may not be a board but there certainly is abeam! :p

skargo

Banned

I am being a good sport and using the proper terms, but my wife is being difficult.

P 0 P E Y E

Chief Petty Officer

Boating (for me anyway) is a life long learning process.....I am trying to learn how to spend more time on my own boat

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Seriously, I get a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment from learning about boats and navigation. I can now read a chart and tell you what most if the stuff on there is for and what it means. Although I still have to refer to a cheat card to determine what the some of the color combination on a buoy mean. :)

Taking a chart and making way to a destination I have never been to is a real thrill for me. Its a bit of a learned skill and I'm proud of my accomplishments. Even if they are only used in a relatively small body of water in relatively fair weather.

To do that I have to learn as much of the terminology as possible, or reading documents, stories, etc won't make much sense.

It's not being a snob or looking down on people. Its about advancing my own knowledge about boats, navigation and seamanship so I am better prepared to be out on the water with my family.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

True, Mark -- there is a lot of satisfaction to be gained from successfully navigating across a body of water. I remember the thrill and trepidation putting the SeaRay in at Parry Sound one dark and misty Friday night. I had towed it all the way from Toronto preparing to voyage to an island about 40 minutes out from the harbour for the weekend.

My parents who had arrived the day before and were already out there tried to convince me quite sensibly to wait til the next day and do it in the light. But I didn't want to waste the Friday night and headed out anyway. I had the charts, gear and GPS but it was still kind of spooky. Georgian Bay (part of Lake Huron) is a large, shoal strewn, no nonsense body of water. Dark and mist don't make it much more inviting. I had done the run in the daylight only and with an experienced guide who knew the waters. This time I was alone. My step father who had grown up on the lake and knew it very well told me that if I got lost to expect to spend the night on the boat cuz he wasn't coming out to look. :eek:

I thought about that for a bit, checked the weather again and, as I knew other than mist and drizzle the weather was stable and winds light -- I decided and off I went.

I took my time, well off planing speed for a lot of it and picked my way along, weaving in and out of the islands til I found my destination, pulling up to the dock close on to 11pm. The forty minutes at cruise turned into a good hour and a half that night but it was a real thrill. Actually one of the best times boating I've had and a memory that will stay with me my entire life.

(Even after all my years of boating I'm still struck at how different terrain looks at night. Even your sense of speed can be distorted.)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

Persoanally, I think *most* of the boat speak is silly and does little but cause confusion to the uninitiated and grant some form of superiority feeling to those in the know. Kinda like a secret handshake or pidgon language kids use. Shrug...

Trust me, when a customer calls and tells me the "floor" in their runabout is rotted, I know exactly what they are talking about. :D

Yup. And those self-same critics who look down their noses at folks who don't use the "correct" terms will call a mixture of epoxy resin and micro-balloons "peanut butter" as though THAT is the correct term. Hmmm... maybe they'll eat some of that peanut butter and feel even more smug? LOL! :D

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Every time I say Port she yells at me... So now I just point and say over there!!! Docklines become the ropes in the front starb.... uh over there.

I had a sister that had that problem, rrhodes. We had difficulty while teaching her how to tail jib sheets for the winch grinders - she not only didn't know port from starboard, but also wasn't much better with left and right. I finally solved the problem by purchasing a pair of racing gloves for her, with red and green patches sewn onto the the wrist straps. From that point on, we would just shout "red" or "green," when we wanted her to tail a line on one side of the other!

I wish I could tell you that it was a great system for teaching as 12 year old, but ... ummm ... she was about 38 at the time!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Yup. And those self-same critics who look down their noses at folks who don't use the "correct" terms will call a mixture of epoxy resin and micro-balloons "peanut butter" as though THAT is the correct term. Hmmm... maybe they'll eat some of that peanut butter and feel even more smug? LOL! :D

I must be missing something here, because I have not noticed anyone "looking down their nose" at anyone else on these forums. I have seen people try to use the correct terms, but that is just part of seamanship. Learning and using the info taught to you in the safe boating class, and other resources.

I thought these forums were about sharing information that is helpful to others. Like the info about Sole vs Deck.

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well shiver me timbers mate,my favorite nautical term is" the sun is over the yard arm"(time for a drink):cool: