Costs of owning a Cabin Cruiser?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Costs of owning a Cabin Cruiser?

How is a 270 a 30ft boat? Are you counting the outdrives and extended swim platform in your length?

rbh

Fleet Admiral

yes I am counting the swim platform and the anchor davit. If the marinas count it for morage so do I.
rob

haulnazz15

Captain

Understandable, just making sure i wasn't just an anomoly of a model number!

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's normal, my 19.5' boat measures out over 22' with the swim platform...fits in my garage with 6" to spare. That said this is an interesting thread as we are looking to pick up a well used pocket cruiser at the end of this season as our 'cottage'. Then the current boat will be my weekend fishing/fun rig. I looked at a beautifully kept 24' chris (1979 I think) with a single 5.0 and the owner had mentioned that he spent $700 cruising the trent canal system. Basically going from Toronto to Ottawa on the water, each day setting out to a different destination. Heck, that's less then two weeks of hotel rooms! If you're like me, your boat will likely never do that trip, but instead head out to the center of of nice smallish lake for the weekend and back, then using the bow rider for the fun stuff, mooring them together, and having a great time. In this case we expect to put twice as much fuel in the bow rider over the year.

Ian

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I do a 18 ft bay cuddy for the small lake, and a 24ft sunnrunner aft cabbin for the Hudson river and big water, keep it on a trailer, it tows very nice, it doesnt cost much more than the bay, is easier to maintain then the force ob. thats for sure. bought it use in grand rapids for 2500 last year, in perfect condition.
liability insurance is 58 buck a year, state farm. 2500 , dont need loss coverage.

26aftcab454

Lieutenant Commander

Last year I boat a sweet 1986 26ft Wellcraft aft cabin repowered with a 1996 454/bravo3 for $11,000. The boat was in excellent condition loaded with genset-hvac-hot water heater-tv-electronics- you name it - it all came with boat and everything works!!(knock on wood)and a great trl. Great boat for couple or small family. In North Texas a slip runs $3600 year round. I cruise at 28MPH at 3400RPM at alittle more than 1MPG. The 95gal tank last for weeks on a small lake( Lake Grapevine 8miles long ) but on a large lake it last a long weekend with alot of running at speed. I spent $150 for marina to replace spark plugs and tune -I have not pulled it from the water for a while to go to the nearest gas station but see the anodes need to be replaced again.
We really love it- most everyone in the nearby slips are cool. Overall we have been lucky it has been an A+ experiance. :cool: