How good are those WalMart tanks?

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander
While out at wal mart, I saw some attwood poly tanks, 6 gallon jobbers, that are 13 bucks or so, the one I saw had a busted output ... are these tanks generally crummy? I was going to put plywood boxes around em to keep em safe, but by themselves, are they a decent product? I got the hose assembly, 13 bucks with OMC fittings, so that wasnt too bad, I think the tank with the OMC fitting winds up being 20 bucks or so, a bit cheaper than biting on an eBay tank for around 30 or 40(or more, depending on shipping and mandatory insurance), and you dont know if its going to leak or not<br /><br />anyone have experience with these plastic tanks?

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander
Re: How good are those WalMart tanks?

I have seen them. Their nothing like the real ones. I have a good quality tank in plastic that came with my 15hp Evinrude which is far superior. Don't drop that tank, because it will likely crack and spill gas everywhere.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I have one, on my fishing boat, I do not know how long it will last, but so far it has been doing the job. :D :D

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

lol, I like you lakeman, you appreciate the challenge of frugality!<br /><br />besides, I like having my wine women and song money ...<br /><br />the rest I spend foolishly!!!<br /><br /> :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've used one for about 2 years with no problems. No cracks, leaks, etc. Like anything, don't abuse it and it will last.<br /><br />D

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I got one. Been sitting here full for 2 weeks now. I'm not worried about it. To you doubters, do you really think Walmart and the manufacturer are going to take a chance on a shoddy product with all the liability issues involved. I think not.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

thats what I figured, huge chain, massive liability issues, and the only tank there was the busted one, so apparently they are movin em ...<br /><br />thanks for the comments, Ill take the kid out to wal mart, such a Good Daddy am I, lol

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote: "To you doubters, do you really think Walmart and the manufacturer are going to take a chance on a shoddy product with all the liability issues involved?"<br /><br />Absolutely! <br />1. All Wal*Mart cares about is the price they can buy them for. If there is a liability issue, they will blame it on the manufacturer.<br />2. The manufacturer wants that big volume purchase from Wal*Mart, so they will find a way to build the product cheap enough to sell it to Wal*Mart.<br />Just because a product is made by a big name manufacturer doesn't assure you that the discount product is the same quality that you have come to expect. It may very well be, but many products are not.<br /><br />Charles

scotiany

I'll stand by my statement. Scummy trial lawyers will sue anyone and everyone involved in a defective product lawsuit. So, Walmart has EVERYTHING to lose with a defective product. And BTW, do you have any experience with the Walmart fuel tank-I think not.

CharlesW

Petty Officer 1st Class

Quote:"And BTW, do you have any experience with the Walmart fuel tank-I think not."<br />Excuse me... It seems I made an error in posting my thoughts. Gee, I thought that was what message boards were about. I won't make that error again. :eek: <br /><br />Charles

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

It is true, that most anything you purchase at walmart, is not the identical product/quality, as the same manufacturer's products purchased elsewhere. No matter what the name on it, and who made it, the price to walmart has been negotiated, and they do not pay the same as other retailers from that manufacturer, to sell to walmart, he has to sell at a lower price than his listed wholesale price, so when that manufacturer does the walmart order, he does have to do something different, as to sell a product cheaper you have to make it cheaper. :D :D

scotiany

Lakeman, I don't know about Walmart and its manufacturers. I don't think any of us really do. But, mass production always lowers the price of a product(the tank is made in USA). Besides, the Walmart tank is simple with no frills-such as a gas gauge. Other than that, it looks similar to the $35 gas tank I got from Overtons.

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I bought two of em, (the last two in Marlton NJ) they only had one tank fitting, but Ill find another one ... the tank was under 14, and the fitting 4 bucks... not gonna rust, and you can look at it and tell the level of fuel, I might put a transom light in to backlight the tanks to tell the level at night, but I need some cheap fuel capacity, twin motors are going to guzzle some serious fuel,(when flying along :D ) and I really dont relish getting the ol porkola :eek: at some fuel dock ... there shouldnt be ANY road taxes on that fuel , and its outrageously expensive :mad: <br /><br />Hey, even when Im rich, Ill be frugal, lol<br /><br /> :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

I have one of the walmart tanks. It's about 6 years old and has spent much of it's time outdoors, even under snow. Yesterday, I was standing on it while working on my powerhead. No signs of leaks or cracks. it did fade into a rather ugly orange over the years though. My only problem with it is it's size. My old Glastron has a storage spot in the back for battery and tanks. The Wally world tanks is just slightly too long to fit nicely with a battery and another tank. If they had made it slightly fatter and shorter, it'd be perfect. If it wasn't for that, I'd have no qualms about buying another one. Next time, I may get 2 of those odd sized tanks in the Overtons catalog, or online. Oh, and I don't baby my gear. I spend money on it and I expect it to take a beating. If I say something lasts, you better believe it!

SeaMasterZ@aol.com

Lieutenant Commander

I checked tha attwood site, they have 12 gallon tanks made in much the same manner, I guess you would have to go to boat world (US Boats) to get one ... or two or three, lol, that This Old Boat guy (starcraft chieftain with 120 mercruiser) says he is getting incredible fuel mileage, whereas his outboard would suck down 20 gallons on a 40 mile ride) I have two outboards, lol, I guess Ill just sit at the dockside pumps pouring fuel in to keep em idling ... <br /><br />reminds me of a toy I had wayyyy back in the day .... I bought a Buick Apollo (remember those?)fer cheapo, had a 350 bopper in there *BOP - buick olds pontiac*<br />well the 350 was tired and I found out that the 455 bopper would bolt right up, found one in a 71 Estate wagon that was bashed in the rear, freshly rebuilt, woo hoo, this thing cranked out something like 500 ft ibs of tire melting torque ... transplanting the radiator was tricky, but got it in there, that car would inhale trans ams, Z 28s, and quite a few vettes - handled nice too, and I switched the power steering spool valve out of a Trans Am (and a trans am steering wheel!)so it would feel good<br /><br />but it would slam down gas like wild, lol, I dont know what it got, I think zero, had to shut it down when filling her up or it would be there all night long pumping gas into it<br /><br />I think Ill be reliving those memories in the near future, god I hope so, Im getting tired of pouring money into this project and NOT GOING FISHING!!!<br /><br /> :p

SeaDawg

Chief Petty Officer

I have one of the "Wal-Mart" Attwood 6 gallon tanks in my boat. <br /><br />It was the only one that would fit the way I needed it in my boat, and I looked a literally all of the brands and dimensions (each are slightly different for their 6 gallon tanks). <br /><br />I bought two, in case I had problems. So far the original is 6 years old and still holding up well.<br /><br />They must sell, because my local Wal-Mart still carries them.