home made docks :)

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lets see um! I am thinking of putting mine in next weekend. Wanted to see who else made there own dock, and what it looks like, parts used etc..
I actually changed my design up a bit this year.

1st year Dock.
This was 2 4'x8' sections, with a log leading out to the first section, and plywood connecting the 2 sections.

004.jpg

002y.jpg

And then the flood....
Then we play " wheres the dock" kinda like wheres waldo.

002z.jpg

2nd Year Dock.

4- 4'x10' Sections and one 4'x'5 Section.

377q.jpg

This years dock.... Pics Coming.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: home made docks :)

i see you are from the north, more info. is it a permanent dock, or does it need to be removed for winter?

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Know your permitting requirements esp. if there is any marsh grass around, or neighbors.

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I started with 3ea. 12ft 2-by-6's and put 5/4- by sixes on them as decking. I used standard drywall screws back then, but this was before the copper treated lumber. (I used the old green arsenic stuff.) The only comment that I would make is they were as heavy as a tank, and I had to get some help from a neighbor to put them in the first time (until they dried out a little over the summer). On the plus side, they were cheap and easy to build. I used the screw posts from the old dock to support them. By the way, that same neighbor had a giant ratchet thing that was great to turn the screw posts into the bottom. Depending on your lake bottom, you can try a saw horse arangement to hold them. My other neighbor did that. A different neighbor, down the road used a stripped down pontoon (deck only) as his deck. If you are dealing with varying water levels, that can be a great idea. Sorry, I don't have any pictures as I have moved away from that home several years ago.

TerryMSU

durdy

Cadet

I smiled when you mentioned changing your design. I have a home-made dock that's probably in it's fourth incantation now. It seems every couple of years a new requirement comes along and I tweak or rebuild portions to suit. In fact, I bought a much smaller version of this dock from a friend. Rebuilding it over and over was made easier thanks to the $$$ dock hardware he originally bought.

The dock's built using mostly 2x6 pressure-treated lumber, dock edge hardware and some floats + barrels. It's assembled out of 4'x12' and 4'x16' sections which I bolt or pin together letting me haul it in and out of the water in semi-manageable sections. Helpers definitely required though. The water-end is anchored by cris-crossing chains tethered to home-made concrete-filled tire anchors. The shore side is staked into the ground with some short pieces of pipe.

Love to see what you're up to.

Attachments

• IMG_2298.JPG
    IMG_2298.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 0

Action

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Can't wait till I put my 12 x 20' in this weekend that was just built. I will take some pics!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

I built a floater a few years ago outa some found/ free steel, dumpster lumber,+ some plastic barrels...
I launched it 3 summers ago,+ it's still floatin' just Fine...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

That is one impressive structure, Bondo -- how'd you move her?

I also like the plastic barrel approach. Exposed foam really soaks up the water.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

The deck looks great, BUT! the white barrows will NOT last as long as long as the black or the green.

Bondo

Staff member

That is one impressive structure, Bondo -- how'd you move her?

Ayuh,.... Thank you,.. I picked it up with a backhoe, set it on a boat trailer,+ launched it like a boat....
BUT! the white barrows will NOT last as long as long as the black or the green.

Ayuh,... Heard that before,.. BUT,... I use what I've Got...
updated my first post with pics.

Ayuh,... You've gotta Resize 'em to 480x640 or Smaller.....
Nobody likes to have to side-scroll...

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Holy moly! I did resize them. What size screen are you using?

NBE

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bond-o, what are those rings/straps used to connect the barrels to the frame? Are they something you made or something you got that was already made?

I've often thought about making a small floating dock but never decided on a way to connect the drums/floats to the frame. I like the way you've done yours.

smitty1258

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bond-o, what are those rings/straps used to connect the barrels to the frame? Are they something you made or something you got that was already made?

I've often thought about making a small floating dock but never decided on a way to connect the drums/floats to the frame. I like the way you've done yours.

interested to know what those are as well.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... It's just 2, 1/2" galv. strapping, welded on 1 end,+ screwed on the other....

Btw,... It don't take much to hold the barrels, Mine is Overkill,...
Gravity does a pretty Good job,...;)

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Ayuh,... It's just 2, 1/2" galv. strapping, welded on 1 end,+ screwed on the other....

Btw,... It don't take much to hold the barrels, Mine is Overkill,...
Gravity does a pretty Good job,...;)

I can attest this is true. My father has a floater that is over 20 years old, the first barrels where steel (all retrieved from the river). At first we attached the barrels, but when the start to leak they would weigh down the dock. Each barrel has been replaced now at least once and we no longer attach the barrels, just lift the dock, float in a new barrel and lower the dock on top. We only lose them when they start to leak and need to be replaced anyway!