installing graphics

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Got the decal for our new/ old use boat name today. 5 in. letters, EVIL WOMAN. Have installed the decals before but my old mind just dont remember how to do it correctly. Directions say spray the hull with easy on/ off spray, apply the decal and squeegy the solution out from under the letters. Just installed the registration nbrs. decal from a local printer and it was a simple peel and stick procedure. Back of my mind says I did use a spray of alcohol or soapy water when I applied the name decal years ago. What am I missing here? help me out.
Did try to do a search but came up blank. thanks FRED

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander
Re: installing graphics

Soapy water is good...I use a mist of Windex (original blue formula) for large graphics.

Make sure that you let the decal 'set', before you peel the backing off the installation. I usually wait for at least 24 hours....

Post the results!

5150abf

Vice Admiral

you don't really need any thing like that.

Get some masking tape and put a peice across the middle not on a letter then put a small peice on either end.

When you get it all lined up where you want it pull the tape off one end and pull it back to the center peice, use a razor to cut the backing and squeegie from the center to the end then repeat on the other side.

Used to work at a sign shop and that is how we did it, just re stickered my baot too and it works really good.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Soapy water is the key or else when it sticks it's stuck.

The plastic squeegee that is made for vinyl really helps but a credit card works good too.

I've never waited though, never really heard of that though it might help if you have a problem with it being to wet.

mrcool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Fred, Kevin here from Harpoon Harry's a few months ago. Anyway, Ya the soapy solution works best, I've done it many time with vans, keep it wet with soap and water and if you make a mistake or get it crooked, you can ajust it and long as it's still wet, peal it after it drys.:)