18.5 foot Cane Cutter

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just "acquired" an older 18-1/2 foot Cane Cutter bass boat. 115hp Mecrury & VIP trailer. It's ready to put on the water now but needs some cosmetic work and personalization.

This is going to be our project boat. My wife and I love to fish and have had seller's remorse ever since we sold the 16 foot jon we converted to a bass rig a few years ago. We're both early 50-ish and looking forward to spending a lot of time on this boat once we get it where we want it. I'm going to have a lot of questions as I dive into this project and I hope everyone doesn't get tired of me.

First thing is to replace bunks on the trailer and do a little work on it. I'm 125 miles away from nearest water so unloading it at the lake and doing the work isn't an option right now. Will have to do the dry dock thing but not sure just how to begin. Need the boat off the trailer to do the trailer work.

Also, the gelcoat on the hull is gonna need some elbow grease. I've seen oxidation before but there are white areas on the hull that look almost like hard water deposits do on sinks and such. Hope it's not something that's gonna eat my lunch. The boat is a dark burgundy/brown with the traditional flakes so this shows up pretty good. I'll be submitting some pics soon for the whole "before and after" effect.

Anyway, looking forward to any and all advice.

Thanks from Midland, TX

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18.5 foot Cane Cutter

Sounds like a nice boat. Looking forward to the pics. I was in the same situation with wanting to work on my trailer. I ended up buying a cheap trailer on Craigslist and refurbing that one. Then I switch and sell my old one.

dwhite1031

Petty Officer 2nd Class
18.5 foot Cane Cutter - Project "Before" Pics

18.5 foot Cane Cutter - Project "Before" Pics

She looks pretty rough right now, but I've got a vision.....

We're gonna rip out the terrible carpet job and have the decks done with Line-X. We're replacing the seats and I'm building new jump seats to replace the ones in front of the console. There was a seat at one time behind the driver and passenger, but it was removed. Gonna build storage in that area.

Have GOT to rewire the half a_ _ rewire job done previously. It's just too sloppy.

Hull and gelcoat has a lot of oxidation. Hopefully with some 3M marine rubbing compound and elbow grease it'll clean up some.

This is a 1978 Caner Cutter so I'm not expecting show room results, just some minor miracles and rewards for hard work.

Got a lot of work to do.

BoatFrnt1.jpg

BoatFrnt2.jpg

BoatFrntDk.jpg

BoatMidBack.jpg

BoatMidBack2.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 18.5 foot Cane Cutter - Project "Before" Pics

It may be ugly but it does look like an excellent fishing platform. I'm going fishing this evening in my '60's closed bow runabout and I'll tell you I'd much rather be casting from the front deck of your beast there :)

CaneCutter79

Chief Petty Officer

It may be ugly but it does look like an excellent fishing platform. I'm going fishing this evening in my '60's closed bow runabout and I'll tell you I'd much rather be casting from the front deck of your beast there :)

Looks like this guy and I have 2 of the last 3 Cane Cutters still floating in existance. I have been researching online and cannot find anything on these old tri-hull boats. During my search, I ran across this thread.

Hey ezmobee, how fast does your 85hp Johnson run? Is that a 4-blade prop I saw in your photos? Whats your setup specs and motor height? I have the same motor (V4 85) in a 79 Evinrude. Its the same block and motor but I cannot find anyone with accurate setups. I have a 19-pitch 3-blade OMC prop currently and I guessing it's running 4,900-5,100 RPM at 39mph. The prop slips if you trim it too much and I'm thinking about going to a 16-pitch 4-blade to increase my RPM up to 5,300-5,400 and see if that will get me over 40mph. I plan on getting a tach and cruising at 4,600-4,800rpm but I'd like that extra punch when I want it for short runs fishing.

Here's a pic of mine so far. I've been wet-sanding and polishing. Already replaced the trolling motor and now I'm about to repaint the trailer.

After.jpg