Disconnect trailer wiring?

cbavier

Lieutenant
Re: Disconnect trailer wiring?

Yea mine are open at the bottom so no water can collect in them but the connection still gets wet. I dab a film of white grease in sockets to prevent corrosion around the bulbs. Makes it easier down the road to remove them.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I never disconnect either. Never had a problem, either shorts or popped bulbs. Salt water does a job on regular lights, so after a few corroded out bulb sockets, I went with LED's. They do hold up much better.

I sealed the connections when the trailer was new but water got in anyway after just one season. When changing to LED's, the wire had started corroding about 18" up the wire from the tail lights. But that is not not tinned marine grade wire, so it will corrode fast in salt water.​

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I do disconnect. For those who drive late model Chevys, your brake lights, turn signals and emergency flashers are all controlled by a "multi-function" switch, which is located in the steering column. If you blow this and have to replace it, expect to get a bill for about 500 bucks. This is due to both the cost of the unit, and the amount of time that it takes to replace it.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

Been boating a lot of years, never disconnected lights. dc voltage does not seem to travel as well as ac. in water. otherwise you would blow you truck battery every time you put boat in water. I just don't worry about it. works for me!!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Would adding inline fuses on the brake and turn circuits prevent blowing expensive electric components?

ne7800

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have disconnected but i think i am going o start leaving them plugged in

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i boat in fresh water only, but i have left them plugged in for the past 10 years of boating and never had any problems.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

I disconnect mine every time. I know that my lens are not sealed and that water intrudes every time i dunk it. Usually I unhook it while someone is catching the ramp fee, then pull down to the prep area and get the rest ready, Did find today though that despite my efforts I had a busted bulb, certainly from water intrusion. Might be time for some LED's...

TC

45Auto

Commander

As I said in an earlier post, I haven't unplugged a trailer when launching/retrieving in over 30 years with no problems. Just wondering what you guys that unplug do about the connector on your tow vehicle when it rains???

One of mine has a round 7 pole connector with a little door over it, but the others are just regular 4 pole trailer connectors exposed to the weather. They lay on the bumper and get soaking wet. Never had any kind of problem there either.

Do you worry about waterproofing that connector from the weather some way?

Shizzy

Ensign

mine has a little plug that you can slide in when the boat isnt hooked up.

the boat stays dry in the garage when not being used.

I use the boat 2-3 times a week, so all the plugging and unplugging keeps the connectors clean.

mhlbnghm

Seaman

Until recent years I've always disconnected mine before launching - that's just the way my Dad did it when I was a kid. However in recent years I've started to just leave them connected. As I've aged and aquired CRS I failed to reconnect them when leaving for home a couple of times. If it ever becomes a problem I'm thinking about a fuse in the trailer harness.

JMB

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I found that keeping the plugs well greased with the Johnson/Evinrude grease keeps the brass contacts from corroding in the salt water environment. I got the idea to use the grease on the plug after reading the outboard service manual where it says to use the grease on the spark plug boots to help seal out water and prevent corrosion. The grease is dielectric so it won't conduct electricity. Been doing it for a few years now with no problems and no corrosion.

a70eliminator

Captain

"The grease is dielectric so it won't conduct electricity. Been doing it for a few years now with no problems and no corrosion"

Doesn't that sound contradicting? You want your plug to conduct electricity, dielectric grease on plug boots is to keep the high voltage from leaking out through the insulation not for corrosion protection.
But it will definately prevent moisture from wicking it's way up the ceramic, I use it too on the boots.

45Auto

Commander

Like A70 says, dielectric grease is non-conducting. Means it has to be scraped off the connector where they connect for the lights to work. Means it's not doing anything to prevent corrosion on the contact surfaces when they're connected OR disconnected because it's not there ......

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Di-electric grease get "scraped off" when you plug the plugs together. It's meant to serve as an insulator for high voltage as well as a weather seal against moisture. Fill the light socket with it, the trailer plugs, etc. Will geep out water and keep the socket/bulb from corroding together. And no, it will not block the voltage from getting through your wires.

APPALOOSA2

Petty Officer 1st Class

I unplug mine, it's not that they short out it's how hot the bulb is when it hits the water. If you sit for a while with your foot on the brake before backing into the water that bulb gets HOT. Once water hits a hot bulb it blows sometimes shatters.

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I didn't use to unplug mine, but do now because it usually blows the trailer turn and stop fuses in the truck. When I unplug I don't have a problem.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

I have forgotten a few times to unplug, but most times I do. In reality there is a good 5-10 minutes before you are fully loaded and ready to hit the road before you plug them back in anyways.

Im not really sure it makes any difference, but Ill keep doing it. I dont have LED's BTW

Same here + the hot bulb thing -

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

"The grease is dielectric so it won't conduct electricity. Been doing it for a few years now with no problems and no corrosion"

Doesn't that sound contradicting? You want your plug to conduct electricity, dielectric grease on plug boots is to keep the high voltage from leaking out through the insulation not for corrosion protection.
But it will definately prevent moisture from wicking it's way up the ceramic, I use it too on the boots.

Yeah, it does sound contradicting. But the point of the grease being dielectric is to prevent shorting out between the connectors. The mechanical friction fit of the connectors is more than sufficient to make a good electrical connection.

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I unplug / plug as part of my launch / retrieve routine.

The ONLY reason I do this is to prevent popping bulbs. I forgot one time last year.....guess what....popped a bulb and didn't have a spare on me. (the one and only time)