Best All-Around Anchor for 14' Aluminum Utility boat

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was wondering what the best type and size anchor would be for all different types of lake bottoms for the above boat.

There is a 20# mushroom for sale for $15 here locally in AZ but I am not sure if that is the best kind and it also seems a bit heavy for my size of boat.

Thanks in advance for any help.

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Best All-Around Anchor for 14' Aluminum Utility boat

Depends where you fish, if you are in a lake you shouldn't need much, if in the river the 20 would probably work pretty well.

I have a 15lb mushroom and an old brake disc that I hook the launch rope to, between the 2 of them they will hold almost any current or wind I come across in the river.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

my son had a 14' aluminum boat for a few years, he had a 10lb mushroom anchor that seemed to really hold well even in current and it was small so it didn't take up alot of room.

Wee Hooker

Chief Petty Officer

Different type bottoms demand different style anchors (and up to 5x water depth worth of rope.) That said, the stlye Tashasdaddy recomends is very close to a "do all" anchor. It has the added benifits of being low cost, light weigth, and has the slip ring feature which can save you from cutting the rope in rocky bottoms.
Meanwhile a 20# mushroom ( or even a cinderblock) will work out of shear weight.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is one I found locally...not sure why they are asking so much?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/boa/1063723576.html

Also, I currently have a grappling anchor...What are these good for? And what would be a good choice if I were to pickup another anchor for other lake floor types?

Shizzy

Ensign

I use a 12# river anchor and I also keep a 3# folding canoe anchor. Most times on smaller lakes with little wind I just use the 3#.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that anchor will hold a 20 foot boat. way more anchor than you need. pull it up several times a day, and you will be looking for a lighter one.

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks TashasDaddy

That is what I was thinking. What would be a good secondary anchor? I have the grappling anchor right now. Is that all I will need?

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

Save your money, and attach a weight of some sort to a heavy chain, and that to a rope

aaarneson

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Save your money, and attach a weight of some sort to a heavy chain, and that to a rope

I was thinking about that, going to a used sporting goods store and just buying a dumbell or something. Would 10# be a good weight?