Good price for a 1995 Mariah 192 Barchetta?

jkboliphant

Cadet
Let me start by saying thank you to everyone for all of the useful information you provide. I am looking at buying a 1995 Mariah 192 Barchetta with a 305 V8 Mercruiser. It has always been covered and the interior is in excellent shape. It comes with anchors, life jackets, a tube, and a single axel trailer with new tires. They are asking 6000 and from what I have been able to come up with these Mariah's are solid boats and do not come up for sale very often in my area. They are asking $6000 and have said they have gotten lots of interest. Is this boat worth the money or are there better deals for the money out there? Thanks in advance for all your thoughts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Good price for a 1995 Mariah 192 Barchetta?

14 year old boat, steep. it is a buyers market.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

jkboliphant

Cadet

Thanks for the reply, I have taken all of those factors into account and this boat seems to satisfy all of the requirements that we wanted except having a wakeboard tower, which could be taken care of later. We will mainly use this boat for cruising our family of 4 around and doing some watersports. Does the fact that the engine is only 2 years old make this boat any more valuable? I was told by the current owner that the previous owner bought the boat with the brand new engine in it, used the boat one time had a baby and sold the boat. The current owner used it regularly throughout the summer and I was told it was professionally winterized every year. Obviously I know nothing beats a good thorough personal inspection. The interior tells that this boat has been well cared for. Thanks again for any and all insight.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

OK, the "new engine 2 years ago" is not explained here very well - at least I can't follow it. Could you please give the history again. Has it sat unused for years (bad)? Why is the current owner selling?

The 305 engine - what year is it? Do you know the rated hp? 2bbl carb or 4bbl or fuel injected? I'm no expert on these, but it makes a big diff. in value.

$6k of a 13 year old boat in VG condition is sure a price I'd pay. Yeah, I'd try for less and maybe get it for less in today's market. However, do you want to boat this summer or look for boats that are the perfect value? A VG boat at a fair price beats an OK boat at a good price, IMO. A beat up boat at a very good price is the worst deal of all.

Give some more history, any photos?

Tash gave you the checklist. Obviously, the engie/drive NEED to be in great shape for any deal to be worth it. Interior, deck,transom - if it looks in great shape inside, that's a very good sign. usually, those who are particular about their expensive toys just are that way - they don't let the engine go to heck while nicely detailing the upholstery every week!

jkboliphant

Cadet

Sorry for the lack of detail, from what I have been able to gather from the current owner, as I have not been to see it yet, the people he bought the boat from about a year ago, bought the boat from a dealer. The story goes that the dealer accepted this boat as a trade in needing a new engine so the dealer puts a 305 mercruiser in it, I have no idea what year but this was done around 06. That owner is said to have used it one time that summer then had a baby, and sold the boat to its current owner. It's current owner has used it for this past summer regularly. The current owners are selling the boat because, shockingly enough, they are having a baby and need the cash (i had better get ready for another baby if i buy this boat :)) Is currently and has always been professionally winterized and the interior per our conversations is near flawless. I have only seen one general picture of this boat but will obviously get my hands on it before I finalize the transaction. Sorry for the lack of specifics, I will tell more when I know more, I am just trying to get my hands around if this is worth my money now or if I should just keep looking. I realize this is a buyers market and have been looking at boats for months and as far as boats in my area in my price range this one seems to be one of the better ones i have seen. Hope this helps and I will post more info/pics when I get them. Thanks again.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well, given that info, you are correct that more info is needed. :)

Find out what a "new engine" means, in this case, as it can mean lots of things. What was in there? What was re-used and what is actually new in 2006. IF a truely new engine was put in and actually runs perfectly, then yes it is worth more being newer. Heck, then engine alone would have run several $1000. If we assume around 20 years for an engine life (can be lots more or less, I know) then this boat has a long life potential ahead of it!

Still need to know WHAT 305 it is.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Mariahs of that era are very solidly built. They came out of the shoot aiming to take on (and undercut) high end manufacturers like Cobalt, but without a decades old reputation to rely on, many perceived them as another "all show no go" wannabe. IMHO that was their loss. If the boat really is in good condition then I would not hesitate to spend $6000 on it. Does that price include a trailer?
I may be biased because I own a Mariah('96 with a 4.3 4bbl) but in 2004-5 when I was shopping, I couldn't believe some of the POS's out there in the sub $10,000 market.

It might be a Mariah thing, but we are also expecting a baby any day now, and we are about 90% sure that this boat will sporting one of those pretty orange and black signs in another month or so. Looks like it might be time for something bigger. We've been talking about getting a small cruiser for a year now, I think we might really do it this year.

superpop

Master Chief Petty Officer

Depends also on where you are located. Boats in Florida and California can be had cheap right now, in the Pacific Northwest, they still hold value pretty well. So the pricing depends on where you are at as well.

jkboliphant

Cadet

Alright so I got a pic of the outdrive and engine, i know there are size recommendations so if I am over, i apologize ahead of time. I hope this helps someone tell me what I'm looking at. Thanks.

engine.jpg

outdrive.jpg

Last edited: