clogged inboard fuel tank

dalraidia

Recruit
I have a 20-ft Pro Line boat which has a 60 gallon fuel tank built in and pretty much inaccessible (without cutting into the deck). The fuel line coming from the tank seems to be clogged at some point -- possibly at the fuel pickup point at the tank. About the only way that I can think of to clear it is to shoot compressed air into the line and hope for the best. Any other suggestions, or comments on this as a solution, would certainly be welcome.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: clogged inboard fuel tank

Blowing compressed air should clear the obstruction. Do you have access to the sending unit for the fuel guage? The sending unit is easy to remove and will give you access to the interior of the tank so can clean the crud out.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If you use compressed air be careful to not blow gas out the vent or fill pipe. And go easy on the<br />pressure.Gas fumes are heavy and trecherous and will flow along the floor and even down stairs.

jeremyeasen

Seaman

I realize that this is several years old, but it may help someone searching for a similar problem. Had the same issue, primer bulb was compressing, barely got idle out of the motor<br />(and barely got home). My Proline 231 has a check valve on the output side of the fuel tank. This contains a ball bearing that over time gets stuck. Simply replace this with a straight nipple (threads to barbs) and you'll be in business. My mechanic says that OMC issued a statement that this doesn't affect fuel flow and I've never had a problem with the fuel line losing prime while I'm out on the water.

Dexloy

Seaman

Yes, that is a solution however not the best IMHO, that check valve is a anti-siphon safty device, if you should have a fuel leak develop in your line below deck you could "siphon" fuel with out knowing it. The valve should be checked and replaced not removed compleatly, many ppl say just remove it, cuz it can be a problem, but would you take out your seat belts from your car becuse you may not be able to get them undone after and accident? $14 part, I think its worth the trouble.

jeremyeasen

Seaman

Agreed, but the primer bulb acts as another check valve in the fuel line ...correct? So the most that could siphon would be from the primer back. The way mine is set up is the check valve threads into the tank, so any cut in the fuel line would leak anyhow. My old set up prevents fuel from re-entering the tank. Everyone's boat is different though.

Dexloy

Seaman

no that is the corect place for the valve it is to stop all the remaining fuel in the tank from being siphoned out, the fuel in the line yes would leak out, thats a minamal amount not like the contents of the tank. The check vaulve requires a certan amount of vacuume to work, once there is a hole in a hose no vacuum can be held and the ball closes. I think the bulb is a pump to start the vacuume. someone else jump in here if I am confused. I could be wrong.

jeremyeasen

Seaman

I admittedly know enough to be dangerous like most everyone, but apparently OMC (according to my certified mechanic)issued a statement saying it is not necessary. I would carry an extra one if someone runs with that valve would be my opinion for what that's worth.

Dexloy

Seaman

hehe yep me too, that sound like a good idea.