Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

ckaiser

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Found one... Did someone here post this? LOL... Should be a CL "sticky"
http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/1831762246.html

"Classic boat - $1700 (Las Vegas)

Boat for sale?..1956 Vershier, all wood needs tlc, new interior and paint. No trailer, No title, but easy to get. With a little work this could be your dream come true...

I have been searching for a boat now on Craigs List for the past 8 months and am frustrated to say the least on the overpriced garbage being advertised. When selling a boat be HONEST, if it doesn't run or keep running say so in your ad. If you are going to post photos at least take the dried leaves and branches, garden tools and old tires out of the boat so we can see what the boat looks like. Blurred photos posted on purpose or dark photos taken at night are a sure giveaway that what?s for sale is junk. Watch the wording if you refer to your pride and joy as something like Need this thing gone today! you are going to get few calls. The term classic with regards to boats does not mean old junk. There are very few Classic Fiberglass boats. A beat up 1963 Glastron with a torn up interior and a non running Chrysler 55 hp outboard never has or will be considered a classic, now if it?s in like new condition then the term would be RESTORED . Asking $4500.00 or best offer for a 1970's or 80's boat that sold new for $7500.00 is ridiculous and a waste of time and computer space for the readers. If you think even your 1995 is somewhat new, think about it, it?s 15 years old. Sure times are bad and we all need to get rid of the added burdens we so loved at one time but hey get real. Oh and for those buying boats and trailers without titles, you will soon find out just how hard it really is to do a title search in Nevada, a bill of sale means nothing, if it were easy the seller would have done it, so you better get ready to camp out at the DMV or DOW while waiting.
Good luck with your sales and purchases"

62 pipestone

Seaman

What about the guys that say yes to everything you ask and when you get there you are looking at a junk yard boat...

i needed a motor for my boat and found a guy on C/L 2HRs north of me that sead he had a nice clean boat that someone stole the O/D off of, it had a good 140h that was ready to drop in and go or i could put my O/D on it and go boating.$400.00 boat and trailer
when i got there the boat had no seats or floor,all the glass was broke out of the guages, and the hull was full of cracks and holes! OK i just want the motor. so i flip the bilge cover up and a crack all the way from ft to back on the block:mad::mad:.
well he sead im sorry this boat was givin to me and this is the 1st time i have seen it up close:eek::mad:so he sead he would let me haul it off for $200.00:confused:. well at least he gave me a fish finder for my trip:D

62 pipestone

Seaman

As you can you, it is a wreck!!!!!! The trailer became loose from the truck but did not damage the jet or engine. The engine is a 396 chevy with water cooled headers and runs very good. It is very loud and sounds great. The boat would do about 75 mph. I can sell it as a unit or I can part it out. I think the trailer is still towable but no guarantee. Make me a good offer or parts it is. Thank you.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1833237804.html

oldjeep

Admiral

As you can you, it is a wreck!!!!!! The trailer became loose from the truck but did not damage the jet or engine. The engine is a 396 chevy with water cooled headers and runs very good. It is very loud and sounds great. The boat would do about 75 mph. I can sell it as a unit or I can part it out. I think the trailer is still towable but no guarantee. Make me a good offer or parts it is. Thank you.

http://denver.craigslist.org/boa/1833237804.html

The drive and headers from that thing are worth good money.

fishrdan

Admiral

I don't know what to say................................ speechless...

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/boa/1831343999.html

up for sale is a small fishing boat with outboard motor, please view photos, comes complete as shown.

3mb3p03o45V35O65X4a77a4efc932b9571554.jpg

One Motor is a mercury 9.9hp up for sale short shaft motor all redone, running great Im asking 850 OBO if you have any questions please call me on my cell anytime 804-982-1644 This motor is clean!!! Has a 9.9 carb on it if you would like to make it a 15hp alls you have to do is buy a 15hp carb............

Second Motor is a newer model Evinrude 15hp, short shaft motor, very low hrs. great running motor looks good as you can see in the pics it does have a 9.9 top as there was a 9.9 carb on it we have changed the carb to a 15 which therefore its a 15hp runs great for any more info please call 804-982-1644 .
The asking price is 1050 OBO

Once again the asking prices on the Mercury 9.9hp is 850 OBO

The asking price on the Evinrude 15hp is 1050 OBO
If you are interested please call me

Thanks,
Jimmy

Is this guy full of poo or can you actually change the horsepower rating simply by changing carbs? Sounds suspicious....

http://easternshore.craigslist.org/boa/1834742366.html

Dabbler_E

Petty Officer 1st Class

Inboard jet powered rowboat w/ bad powerhead. I'm SOOOOO in for 2 grand!

this is a 14 foot sear game fisher 48 inches wide with nice galvanized trailer all lights work an has brand new tires clear titles for both ,boat is titled as an inboard it has a 9 gal tank, new lights 6 foot deck new carpet, has stereo new antenna 3 life jackets new battery new fire ext. 2 new seat not installed yet.boat has a 95 750 ss kawasaki twin carb engine that runs but has low compression,also i am throwing in 1 extra engine block and head 2 crank shafts and 2 extra carbs and whatever else i have i bought a new boat so i desided not to keep this boat is fast and will run 35-40 with 2 adults it is 95% finished and is alot more fun than a jet sk iasking 2,000.oo dollars or best offer but dont be afraid to make me an offer it must go today call me at 314-680-2288

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/boa/1835092649.html

Philster

Captain

One Motor is a mercury 9.9hp up for sale short shaft motor all redone, running great Im asking 850 OBO if you have any questions please call me on my cell anytime 804-982-1644 This motor is clean!!! Has a 9.9 carb on it if you would like to make it a 15hp alls you have to do is buy a 15hp carb............

Second Motor is a newer model Evinrude 15hp, short shaft motor, very low hrs. great running motor looks good as you can see in the pics it does have a 9.9 top as there was a 9.9 carb on it we have changed the carb to a 15 which therefore its a 15hp runs great for any more info please call 804-982-1644 .

Thanks,
Jimmy

Is this guy full of poo or can you actually change the horsepower rating simply by changing carbs? Sounds suspicious....

If the manufacturer produced two motors with two different HP ratings, and the cubic inch displacement was the same, but carb/intakes were the only thing(s) different, then it is no big deal to make the claim. Bigger carb = more HP (generally).

Inboard jet powered rowboat w/ bad powerhead. I'm SOOOOO in for 2 grand!

this is a 14 foot sear game fisher 48 inches wide with nice galvanized trailer all lights work an has brand new tires clear titles for both ,boat is titled as an inboard it has a 9 gal tank, new lights 6 foot deck new carpet, has stereo new antenna 3 life jackets new battery new fire ext. 2 new seat not installed yet.boat has a 95 750 ss kawasaki twin carb engine that runs but has low compression,also i am throwing in 1 extra engine block and head 2 crank shafts and 2 extra carbs and whatever else i have i bought a new boat so i desided not to keep this boat is fast and will run 35-40 with 2 adults it is 95% finished and is alot more fun than a jet sk iasking 2,000.oo dollars or best offer but dont be afraid to make me an offer it must go today call me at 314-680-2288

whoever wrote that post was a total nut.....

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks,
Jimmy

yes virgina, for over 50 years boaters have cheated on the inland lake hp restrictions. The efi's are easier yet. Don't know if these motors are part of the ones you can change but possible. it was always a big selling point.:D

Gromulin

Petty Officer 1st Class

His first ad listed "over $50,000 invested"... I'm pretty sure that included the $40,000 of coke he snorted doing the "engineering". And it's in Visalia, CA...middle of the central valley...no water for MILES...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot just doesn't go far enough sometimes.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1831091679.html

62 pipestone

Seaman

His first ad listed "over $50,000 invested"... I'm pretty sure that included the $40,000 of coke he snorted doing the "engineering". And it's in Visalia, CA...middle of the central valley...no water for MILES...Whiskey Tango Foxtrot just doesn't go far enough sometimes.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/boa/1831091679.html

:eek:WOW now that brings a whole new meaning to HOUSE BOAT:eek:

ndindy

Cadet

I did a 240 mile round trip last month to look at a chris-craft. Talked to the guy on the phone who said the boat needed seats and the starter solenoid was sticking and needed replaced, otherwise ran good. Pictures looked decent for the price. No biggie on the repairs, grabbed some cash just in case and hit the road.

So assuming you first shoveled out the rotten remains and replaced the floor, yeah it needed seats as it had none. Or any other interior piece. And assuming you reassembled the engine, the solenoid might need replaced. Oh, and you might just want to see if all the parts for the trim system are in the box before you start putting that together. And you might want to pick up some spare wire and switches as the entire electrical has been gutted.

If I had been down the street I wouldn't have cared much, but this guy knew I was making a trip. I should have billed him for gas.

On the flipside a week later I found a better deal on a classic glastron that needed cosmetics. I'm almost done with them, just waiting on some more vinyl to finish the seats. Thought for sure I had ordered enough.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Seems a bit high for a pair of old props? $30 + $60 = $3,060?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1837307180.html

johnson propellers - $3060 (medford)
Date: 2010-07-11, 2:35PM EDT
Reply to: sale-gmngd-1837307180@craigslist.org

13 1/4 x 17 black is stainless 384139, $60., white is alum. 382784, $30

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3na3kd3p85Y35Z15R6a7b2687c30070721120.jpg

PostingID: 1837307180

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Seems a bit high for a pair of old props? $30 + $60 = $3,060?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1837307180.html

johnson propellers - $3060 (medford)
Date: 2010-07-11, 2:35PM EDT
Reply to: sale-gmngd-1837307180@craigslist.org

13 1/4 x 17 black is stainless 384139, $60., white is alum. 382784, $30

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3na3kd3p85Y35Z15R6a7b2687c30070721120.jpg

PostingID: 1837307180

a smart guy wanting a 13-3/4" X 17 OMC stainless steel prop should RUN, not walk to that bad deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even $30 for an aluminum prop is a great deal...

I have two like that but in 19 pitch and I am asking $50 each

bob

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Well, ALL of it is scrap, so I guess he's charging by the pound?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/1837322636.html

MFG boat , trailer and motor - $325

1967 MFG boat 16 ft . 1991 evinrude 48 spl motor and 1997 trailer. boat has cracked windshield on the left side, needs transom repair and new rub rail. Trailer needs lights and new fenders. Evenrude motor needs new coil,the battery was hooked up backwards and burnt it out ( no spark) About $25.00 for the part , tilt is stuck in the down position. compression is good and gears and shifting are good. Probly needs a new pump impeller , carburater cleaning and tune up . I don.t know if the fish finder works, the canvas top is torn but the frame is still good.I have papers for the boat and trailer. Need to get this out of the yard...... all as is no guarentees of any kind ------- mab17a@aol.com

91capri2050

Seaman Apprentice

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/1838521653.html

Guy talks about how great the boat is, then just happens to throw in in the middle of the add

"The motor runs and starts right up, top end just overhauled replaced some valves and all gaskets. Was told by the mechanic that there is some problem in the lower half, may be a broke rod."

Haha, its a nice boat though, just needs a rod. lmao