Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

stackz

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

I know this is a "funny ad" thread but theoretically,

what else would I look for if I went and looked at this one:

he wants $13k even for it btw.

27 Express with Marlin Tower with helm station. Military, have to move and can't keep boat. Has radar, color fish finder, vhf radio, Garmin chart plotter, extra Garmin fish finder in tower, stereo. Volvo IO with swim platform. New Port engine has <10 hours with new manifolds, carburetor, starter, and ignition system. Just replaced pump impellors for both motors Starboard has ~500 hours with new water pump and starter. Volvo 290 stern drives were fully rebuilt in 2001. 240-gallon fuel tank, fresh water tank and holding tank. Hand held shower in head with additional galley sink in cockpit. Vberth has cloth material cushions. Raw water and freshwater wash down. Rocket launchers on tower and lots of rod holders on boat. Has 2 coolers behind seats. Have rocket launcher to put on post and unfinished fighting chair. Moving in weeks, make an offer.

pics:
http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww262/msg1976/

cbavier

Lieutenant

If it looks like what you want. Hire a Marine Surveyor and have it surveyed and then take it out on the water and put it through the paces for at least an hour. Then look it over real close again and then make the final decision.

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have rocket launcher to put on post

Hmmmm, getting an idea for a new mod here. I wonder if this would fall under the new handgun ban that is proposed? For one thing it would keep the jet skis at bay.

Brian

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jakebrake- I think I'm good for now.... and now I have to go find your posts about the fantastic deal!

I just found one that's pretty awesome... check it out!

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/1064256056.html

All it needs is an engine. And probably everything else. And it's only 5 grand! Where do I sign up?

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jakebrake- I just looked at your posts. And yes, I'll pass! I just went through much of that process and do not care to repeat it! Good luck with your project, whichever one you end up with!

-Carl

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That ad also states the he hasn't taken any pictures of his boat, but, here are some of what mine should look like. If you went through the trouble of finding those pictures, why not just take your own?

Brian

Hit It

Seaman

How about this one I ran across on a local classifieds site:

"1997 Bayliner Fish and Ski boat, 18'4" 190 hp v6 chevy engine, merCruiser outdrive. Boat burnt and everyting under the dog house was un harmed and in excellent condition boat has less than 100 hours. (sold seperately, a custom made wake board tower, trailer and a storage cover) Boat was kept in mint conditon well maintained and was kept out of the weather."

He is asking $3,000. I especially like the part about how the boat was kept in mint condition and well maintained. Like that matters now that the boat has been gutted by a fire! You should see the pics too.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at one today, it was listed on a local free paper as "Great fishing boat, ran great when last used" What they fail to mention was that it probably last ran in about 1962. The motor was standing on its cover upside down in the boat, still attached to the broken chunk of transom which was now no more than a rag without it's layer of wood, the wood benches were gone, the sides were both cracked, there was a foot of wet leaves in the boat, the water was only as deep as the broken transom would allow, and the bow eye was a hasp ring from a hardware store with one of those quickie links attached. The winch strap was an old leather belt, with the buckle attached with the quickie link to the make shift bow eye. The trailer had not moved probably in just as long, it looked like they bush hogged around the boat to be able to move it but gave up once they realized that the tires would most likely stay when the trailer left. They were literally rotted off the rims. The rims were mono hub rims, so they weren't a simple tire change deal to get it moving again. The motor was about a 1960 Johnson, with the shifter lever broke off, the rope steering rusted off the pulleys. They had described the boat as needing some work but it ran good when last used. I guess the fact that the transom had collapsed and the motor most likely was tossed into the boat after it fell or sagged to the ground. They had no pic, but were asking $750 or best offer. I couldn't justify even taking that mess for free, there was really nothing I would deem desirable in that mess.

They all but followed me to the car trying to get me to make an offer, I just shook my head and said good luck. It was a waste of gas to go see. They clearly thought they had a real nice boat there. For some reason those types seem to only see the boat the way it may have been 40 or 50 years ago, and overlook the years of neglect and decay.

PondTunes

Petty Officer 1st Class

Heres a great one that "the interior of the boat has been removed so new carpet and seats are needed"..

Wonder what type of carpet they suggest using... Maybe some of that new wood / fiberglass backed carpet who knows...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/1069884136.html

3n73o13laZZZZZZZZZ93b7a7820833c9e12a4.jpg

scipper77

Commander

Heres a great one that "the interior of the boat has been removed so new carpet and seats are needed"..

Wonder what type of carpet they suggest using... Maybe some of that new wood / fiberglass backed carpet who knows...

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa/1069884136.html

3n73o13laZZZZZZZZZ93b7a7820833c9e12a4.jpg

Should read,
I started a restore and discovered the stringers are shot. Went on I-boats and learned how much work is required to fix . Since I am the type to run an outboard without a functioning cooling system I decided to try and rip someone off rather than deal with this boat. You will have trouble with the hull that I neglected to mention. You will find engine damage to a far greater extent than I have indicated. Don't even ask about the transom, I'll just tell you that it was solid when it was parked 10 years ago. And if you sort through all of this you will need to jump through hoops to get the trailer registered.

$400

jasper60103

Commander

You gotta love those "no trailer" deals. As you can see in this one, you literally have to drag the thing off the pavement on to a trailer. He could have at least put it on blocks.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/boa/1066533093.html

Also, he says it "was used all last season". Then in the very next sentence he says "I had ambitions of getting a trailer and motor for it ".
How did you use it? With a paddle?

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

You gotta love those "no trailer" deals. As you can see in this one, you literally have to drag the thing off the pavement on to a trailer. He could have at least put it on blocks.

Also, he says it "was used all last season". Then in the very next sentence he says "I had ambitions of getting a trailer and motor for it ".

lol...I'd kinda like to know how he used it without an engine or a trailer either!

reelfishin

Captain

Should read,
I started a restore and discovered the stringers are shot. Went on I-boats and learned how much work is required to fix . Since I am the type to run an outboard without a functioning cooling system I decided to try and rip someone off rather than deal with this boat. You will have trouble with the hull that I neglected to mention. You will find engine damage to a far greater extent than I have indicated. Don't even ask about the transom, I'll just tell you that it was solid when it was parked 10 years ago. And if you sort through all of this you will need to jump through hoops to get the trailer registered.

$400

The sum of it's parts seem to be well worth what he's asking if the motor and trolling motor are functional. Even if you took the boat to the landfill. At least he's not trying to pass off the motor as being fine with a bad pump.
i just sold a 12/24 Minn Kota trolling motor for $300 which was over 25 years old, I had four guys fighting to get it.

The lower unit if good has got to be worth a few hundred alone.

reelfishin

Captain

Years ago I lived on a lake in PA, most of the people there had boats, very few had trailers. The norm was to have a boat lift. It wasn't uncommon to have maybe 10 or 15 people sharing one boat trailer. I bought dozens of boats without a trailer.
Of course not many were setting flat on a concrete, but many were sitting on the lawn. The boats to be concerned with are the bare hulls, those that were stripped and listed as 'Great project boat'. I've bought many good boats for their motors or trailers and passed on the rest. Many were nice solid hulls, but just not my type of boat.
I bought an old trihull last week, pulled the 1999 Mercury 115 and kept the trailer, I let the boat go which I bought turn key for $350, for $800. The boat was nice, it had a solid floor, the transom felt fine, no signs of being soft, and I put it on an older bunk trailer. If someone were to add a motor and controls, they'd have a good fishing boat. It wasn't pretty but it was seaworthy. The motor I took off needed only a minor tune up and a water pump, I put in four new plugs, and hung it on my boat. I sold the roller trailer for $900. It lasted only 7 hours on CL.

The boat sold after a week and a dozen tire kickers. The guy that bought it came out, paid and hauled it off, never looked inside the boat.

When all was said and done, I had a perfect motor, sold the trailer, and boat and was over $1000 to the better. The buyer of the boat got a fishing boat, the guy that bought the trailer was happy, and I have a great running motor.

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ahh, 2 broke...that makes two of us. i know c.l. has a few decent ones, but ebay is bad news. i think people get caught up in the "auction" mentality...(god knows i did) i spent more in gas to drive down to get it than it's worth. I do love "well cared for" followed by "needs interior". or "omc 600" followed by "needs engine work"...run forest, run!

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, so this isn't boat related, but you would think if you're really bad at spelling, you would run your ad through a spell check first. I wouldn't buy this in the first place, but this would just really turn me off to the sale if I were.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/1071115436.html