Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

I like this one, "70 MPH", I guess that'll blow out all the leaves.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/1777614450.html

1987 hydro stream 15 feet 140 horse johnson appraised 3500 - $2800 (Collings Lake)
Date: 2010-06-06, 12:54AM EDT
Reply to: sale-f24y7-1777614450@craigslist.org

1987 year for boat and engine

hydro stream 15 feet

2800 or best offer

with a 140 horse Johnson engine

4 seats

70mph

Give me a call at 609-214-8258

http://images.craigslist.org/3k53pb3oe5Q45P45R4a655c455e77dd851cd2.jpg

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander

Well, he says best offer, just deduct the cost of a long block, labor, and a fender plus hardware for the trailer and make an offer, you should be about spot on what its worth.

so with it being a Bayliner capri (of which I am an owner of one), the seller should pay you a few bucks. :)

freeisforme

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do you think a 22 year old Bayliner Capri with a junk motor and suspect trailer is worth $2500? The last I checked a new Chevy long block was well over $1500, plus labor. (The dealer charged me $2500 for a new motor in my truck 16 years ago). The fender and hardware has to be about another $80 or $100. Then if they were so careful to winterize the boat, do you think other items will be in any better condition? Figure on trailer wheel bearings, tires, numerous incidentals associated with a motor swap, (tune up parts, belts, hoses, hardware, etc.).

A couple of hundred bucks is all it's worth. Being that it's a Bayliner, I'm not sure I'd give $2500 for it if it were in running shape being that it's a 22 year old entry level boat. There's just too many unknowns with a boat like that. I'd guess that boat would top out around $1500 to $2000 in top shape these days. Pay $2500 for that boat, then add another $2500 in repairs and you'll have $5K invested in a hurry.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Do you think a 22 year old Bayliner Capri with a junk motor and suspect trailer is worth $2500? The last I checked a new Chevy long block was well over $1500, plus labor. (The dealer charged me $2500 for a new motor in my truck 16 years ago). The fender and hardware has to be about another $80 or $100. Then if they were so careful to winterize the boat, do you think other items will be in any better condition? Figure on trailer wheel bearings, tires, numerous incidentals associated with a motor swap, (tune up parts, belts, hoses, hardware, etc.).

A couple of hundred bucks is all it's worth. Being that it's a Bayliner, I'm not sure I'd give $2500 for it if it were in running shape being that it's a 22 year old entry level boat. There's just too many unknowns with a boat like that. I'd guess that boat would top out around $1500 to $2000 in top shape these days. Pay $2500 for that boat, then add another $2500 in repairs and you'll have $5K invested in a hurry.

I agree. I would not pay 2500. That is the MOST it would sell for around here in bayliner land (washington state, where bayliners are every other boat you see.) I did a 5.0 to a 5.7 liter swap 2 years ago on a 86 capri. I bought a 5.7 block off craigslist and rebuilt the whole motor pistons and all. I was 1k into the motor. Went to install it and found out that the stringers for the motor mounts were mush. i was so frustrated i just sold it. I did manage to get 2k out of it, but only because of the completely rebuilt motor.

rebars1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How about this one? What more information could you need to buy the boat?:

1984 Searay Boat (Santa Margarita)
Date: 2010-06-03, 2:53PM PDT
Reply to: sale-sx8kt-1773877498@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

best cash offer sorry no pics available

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1773877498

Andy in NY

Commander

heres a good one...

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/1778948411.html

project boat,needs new wood floors.wood transom replaces ,little wood up front ,,,,this is a easy 1 day project,for bout 100 bucks in plywood.....BOAT IS A 1973 STARCRAFT ALUM BOAT WITH A 50HP RUNNING CHYSLER MOTOR WITH ALL CONTROLLS AN LINES.,motor off of other boat .has been stored winterized for 2 seasons now in heated cellar ,with extra prop........no dents in hull,few dings...boat aslo has full johnson controlls ,with matching kicker controlls.mounted in boat now,,,,,,from boats other motor,,,,,,all cables very nice to ex cond.......no cracks or rust......steering cable needs to be replace,,,at 180.00 new be glad i got one that is in ex cond to install.,,,,,,,if your handy an not scared to do a days work installing new wood,,,even transom is very easy to install.trace back of boat,cut wood slide in bolt back in place ,have more pics buts heres a few.........dont be shy if you want to see more pics i got bout 15,an the trailer boat sits on needs axel repair ..hub is snapped.....have pics even of that,,,,,motor alone is worth asking price,,,buy motor ill deal with both or take boat an motor bring your own trailer,bring a flat bed take it all.........................................................i'll even throw in captains chairs an rear bench seat from conversion van,, very good to ex cond

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Andy that's a decent deal that you should pick up.

(of course his description of the "easy" project is probably why you posted it here :D I have 6 months into my easy project!)

Andy in NY

Commander

Andy that's a decent deal that you should pick up.

(of course his description of the "easy" project is probably why you posted it here :D I have 6 months into my easy project!)

if i had the cash i would, but even then the trailer would never make the 300 something mile trip...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

heres a good one...

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/boa/1778948411.html

project boat,needs new wood floors.wood transom replaces ,little wood up front ,,,,this is a easy 1 day project,for bout 100 bucks in plywood.....BOAT IS A 1973 STARCRAFT ALUM BOAT WITH A 50HP RUNNING CHYSLER MOTOR WITH ALL CONTROLLS AN LINES.,motor off of other boat .has been stored winterized for 2 seasons now in heated cellar ,with extra prop........no dents in hull,few dings...boat aslo has full johnson controlls ,with matching kicker controlls.mounted in boat now,,,,,,from boats other motor,,,,,,all cables very nice to ex cond.......no cracks or rust......steering cable needs to be replace,,,at 180.00 new be glad i got one that is in ex cond to install.,,,,,,,if your handy an not scared to do a days work installing new wood,,,even transom is very easy to install.trace back of boat,cut wood slide in bolt back in place ,have more pics buts heres a few.........dont be shy if you want to see more pics i got bout 15,an the trailer boat sits on needs axel repair ..hub is snapped.....have pics even of that,,,,,motor alone is worth asking price,,,buy motor ill deal with both or take boat an motor bring your own trailer,bring a flat bed take it all.........................................................i'll even throw in captains chairs an rear bench seat from conversion van,, very good to ex cond

wow lots of competition in that area huh???

I kept seeing this boat and it looks clean from the one photo...

cheap too

http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/boa/1777946089.html

bob

Subliminal

Chief Petty Officer

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/1780691258.html

yamaha jet ski 87 - $500 (lebanon NJ )
Date: 2010-06-07, 10:05PM EDT
Reply to: sale-6fsaj-1780691258@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

this is a older ski doo but it is 500 hp and runs great was used all year last year and is in good looking shape as well It does not have a trailer if you are looking for alot of fun and good times this is for you and is great with kids becouse it has a large seat for two i can be reached by phone at 484-767-9206 anytime

Huron Angler

Admiral

http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/1780691258.html

yamaha jet ski 87 - $500 (lebanon NJ )
Date: 2010-06-07, 10:05PM EDT
Reply to: sale-6fsaj-1780691258@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

this is a older ski doo but it is 500 hp and runs great was used all year last year and is in good looking shape as well It does not have a trailer if you are looking for alot of fun and good times this is for you and is great with kids becouse it has a large seat for two i can be reached by phone at 484-767-9206 anytime

Wow $1.00 per HP...ya think he meant 500cc?!? :D

TRobin9496

Cadet

500 HP? That should go about 200 mph...what a deal

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class

In general I am sick of a lot of people being unable to spell. I posted a rant in my local boats for sale on craigs list. Someone or several someones didn't like it and it got flagged and deleted. Here is the letter I got from Craigs List:

Your posting has been flagged for removal.

Approximately 98% of postings removed are in violation of craigslist posting guidelines.

Please make sure you are abiding by all posted site rules, including our terms of use:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/terms.of.use.html

If you need help figuring out why your posting was flagged, try asking in our flag help forum: http://forums.craigslist.org/?forumID=3. Include posting title, body, category, city, how often posted, any images, HTML markup, etc.

If your posting was wrongly flagged down (2% of flagged ads are) please accept our apologies and feel free to repost.

Sorry for the hassle, and thanks for your understanding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:2010-06-10 13:45:56
PostID:1785449085
Title:(boats) Will you people please learn to spell and use the correct words?

Trailer-used to haul things that cannot be driven. NOT traler, trawler, trailor, traylr.

Tri-Hull -a type of planing hull. NOT try hull or trihaul.

Motor-a device that powers a propeller or jet to create thrust and make a boat or PWC move across the water. NOT moter.

Propeller-a bladed device fit to the output shaft of a motor which when spun in the water produces thrust. NOT propellor, propelor. If in doubt just abbreviate it as prop.

I am sure there are plenty more. These are the ones that stick out the most.

While we are at it put a little effort into your ad. Post a picture to give people a general idea. Work on your description to make me interested. There is actually someone that posted "Boat, motor, trailer for sale. Call with questions." No price, no description of model, size, motor rating or condition.

Maybe posting an actual asking price in your subject line would be a nice addition too. Using $1.00 doesn't make me look, it makes me go past. If you want $12,000.00 for something then post it in the title. Someone looking in or over, or possibly a little under that price range may look and be interested enough to make you an offer you'd accept. That does not mean if you are looking to get $12,000.00 posting $12.00. That also makes me sail right past your ad without looking.

Just please care enough about selling your things to make people want to inquire about them.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I can't decide whether to laugh at this guy for being a dreamer when he says "this boat has huge potential" or laud him for his honesty in describing this wreck.

FROM: http://lascruces.en.craigslist.org/boa/1786058591.html

18' Sea Sprite 1984 - $1000
Date: 2010-06-10, 10:11PM MDT

1984 Sea Sprite Continental Mark 3 Cuddy Cabin. 18' feet. 6 cyl inboard. The boat needs work. the motor did run but had a small amount of water in the oil. i think it may be a gasket but I am not expert. The floor is soft and needs work. The trailer is in fair shape. The lights dont work due to the wiring being rotten. I got the boat in a trade last year with the intentions of getting it going but as you can tell that never happened. this boat has huge potential. The previous owner did not have a title for the boat but did have one for the trailer. I am told it isnt too hard to obtain the title from the NM DMV but since I never got it running I never needed the title.
*AS-IS*
The price is $1000 OBO. If you want pics please email me. NO SPAMMERS OR SCAMMERS!
Serious inquiries only.