Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Wes Hawkins

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Bob
Well I'm more in tune to looking for something with an I/O and the Merc engine and mercruiser out drive. Tri-hull or not is really not as important. Folks have kinda steered me away from an OMC system because of being out of business. Not sure about an outboard, don't know which ones are better than others.
Looking for any suggestions I can get. I don't know about giving them away, I haven't run across anything being given away here in northern Cal.
Take care, Wes.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Here's a winner: http://york.craigslist.org/boa/1767806076.html

Guy wants to trade his non-working motor for your working one. Um ok!

you know about kenetic energy and potential energy!!! right???

they can be equal!!!!!!!!!

he wants to trade his potential energy motor for one that is currently producing kenetic energy!!!!!..

seems fair to me !!! ha ha ha

but he would settle for someone just giving him a brand new motor though!!!!if all else fails...

if he was real smart hed go swap his motor for an idential looking motor on someones boat in their back yard..late late at night!!! ha ha ha ha

quietly of course!!

bob

Andy in NY

Commander

i know its really not an ad, but i had an ad running for my 50 hp evinrude. this guy emails me asking if i will take trades, and has a list of stuff ranging from a D-R power mower, guns, crossbow, etc. i tell him im not interested in trades. then he asks me if i want to put the motor on his boat and we'll sell it together! A complete stranger!!! ya sure, let me get right on that. :rolleyes:

Andy in NY

Commander

this guy wants to trade a tv he *says* is worth $1900 for a boat...

Would like to trade for a boat. I have a 42 inch flat screen TV JVC like new one year old. Market price $1,900.00. Hate to part with it but would rather have a boat for fishing. Looking for boat and motor will negotiate according to listed price on the boat. Call me at 802-503-6395

i dont care if its jvc or not, the market price for a 42" lcd last year was NOT almost 2 grand. even sonys could be picked up for 1100 or so...

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not a TLC ad but thought this was a little pricey.. Maybe it's just me.

1969 55hp Johnson Outboard - $700

1969 55hp Johnson outboard, fuel tank, electric start, controls, and two props( 17 and 19 degree pitch). Not power tilt or trim

http://wausau.craigslist.org/boa/1774268512.html

LukeB777

Seaman Apprentice

This one is great deal. Hurry with your thousand dollars before this gem is gone

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/boa/1770736247.html

1981 Baja boat and tandem trailor - $1000 (Hayward, WI)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2010-06-01, 9:27PM CDT
Reply to: sale-yuxbz-1770736247@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tree fell on this boat in a recent windstorm and did significant damage to the hull and windshield.
Neither the hydraulic brakes or lights work on the Shoreland'r trailor.
Very few hours on new steering cable.
Two trim motors.
Alpha One lower and upper units with a twisted and bent drive shaft.
No Engine.

Contact Ben@ (715)558-1517

?Location: Hayward, WI
?it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

PostingID: 1770736247

sierra 18

Cadet

I was going through the various on line ads for a used boat for about a year and a half. The items that looked like a great deal were generally gone by the time I saw them and called the owner. The other ones, the "TLC's or the inflated price for the 1980's vintage whatever were clear deals to stay away from. I sifted through a lot of chaff, and saw a lot of boats with springy floors, rusty trailers and myriad other issues that don't show up in the pictures posted online. And when you ask if the boat is as it appears in the photo, the sad thing is many sellers will lie and say yes, which ends up in an hour and a half return drive for nothing.

That said, I got what I know was a great deal on my boat, and the owner said that the bilge pump needed replacement, but that everything else worked. I did replace the bilge pump, not too hard, and everything else worked as stated. It helped that the seller was a retired guy who used to work for with my wife, who could vouch for him. I had to wait a year and a half, but it was worth it.

Chris

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Alright, back on topic. .....

Today I had to bring the boat from the back yard to the driveway. The wife took the tow vehicle and kids for the afternoon to the park. So the garden tractor was the vehicle of choice.

The old '94 Sears 18hp opposed B&S engine tractor usually pulls the boats around with ease. Today the boat would not budge because the tires sank into the soil about 8 inches over the winter. Shoveled out the dirt in front and behind the tires, making a ramp on either side. Then the tractor was able to pull the boat out and up to level ground. Then around the yard to get to the driveway. This was early morning when the grass is still wet. The tires slipped a bit, but the tractor still pulled the 1700 lbs around and up hill with no problem.

Moral of story: put a tow hitch on your tractor. You never know when you will need it.

yjanray

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not really that bad, and no pics, but i had to share. Very Easy to replace floor?!:eek: how do you propose it be easy to rip up the floor without ripping up anything else???

1988 Four Winns Bowrider - $1000 (Acworth,Ga)

Date: 2010-06-05, 1:29PM EDT
Reply to: sale-gzkbs-1776765351@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

1988 Four Winns-Boat with trailer
1988 Evinrude 90 HP VRO-needs re-manufactured power-head
A tinkerers dream!
A bit of work and you will have a great, and inexpensive toy
Get's you on the water!
We have had it for 15 years and have loved it!
On the water many hours!
Taught our kids to ski!
2nd owner
Includes full cover (missing 2 poles), floor needs repl (very easy), speedo pickup needs repl, seats newly recovered
Comes with an E-Z load trailer worth $1500

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 1776765351

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/boa/1776765351.html

KeyWestSkipper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was going through the various on line ads for a used boat for about a year and a half. The items that looked like a great deal were generally gone by the time I saw them and called the owner. The other ones, the "TLC's or the inflated price for the 1980's vintage whatever were clear deals to stay away from. I sifted through a lot of chaff, and saw a lot of boats with springy floors, rusty trailers and myriad other issues that don't show up in the pictures posted online. And when you ask if the boat is as it appears in the photo, the sad thing is many sellers will lie and say yes, which ends up in an hour and a half return drive for nothing.

That said, I got what I know was a great deal on my boat...

Good going Chris. Took me about a year too, plenty of tanks of gas and lots of shenanigans along the way. Bad photos or lack of photos was/is the most avoidably frustrating thing about the whole process IMO.