Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

I love when folks want to trade their junk cars for nice bass boats. I check the Kansas City Craigslist often and I see at least 2 postings a day..."trade my mini van for your boat, No Junk Please" It makes me want to fix a boat up just so I can get a Astro van, LOL.

LOW-LIFE

Seaman

true clasic "great project" here
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/boa/1035149637.html

boat with short block motor that has been open to the elements and has the cylinder walls rusted to the pistons

but wait... boat and trailer have new paint!

dnt low ball him either... even tho he has no price listed for a boat that might be worth 100 dollars with the trailer... asuming it rolls...

reelfishin

Captain

I went to look at an 18' Manatee a few months ago not too far away. The ad said solid floors, solid transom, motor needs work.
When I got there, the first thing I looked at was the motor, it needed work alright, the crank and two rods had exited the cover, half the block was gone.
The drain plug was in the boat, it was raining, when I asked why the guy said the deck was self bailing, it can't fill up with water.
His next remark was priceless, he looked at my 1/2 ton pickup and made the comment, "Your not planning to tow this with that are you? This thing is way too heavy to pull with a small truck like that". "My 1 Ton diesel even struggles with this boat".

I then pulled the plug, it gushed water for 20 minutes, at this point it's pure entertainment, I in no way wanted any part of the boat. I then asked him why the suspension was buried and the tires looked flat? He kept on about how heavy it was. When I first climbed in the boat, the floors felt funny but not soft of like they were falling though, after the water came out, they were mush. The hull was so full of water that it was supporting the deck somehow. The steering was seized up, the motor junk, the hull beyond water logged. He was asking $3200. The trailer was a bunk type with strip rollers, which were missing several rollers, the tires were mismatched car tires, and the coupler on the trailer had a 3/4" hole drilled in it which was the best part. I asked why the hole in the coupler, he said it was easier to tow that way. He said with a ball, you had to line it up just right, with just a bolt though the hole, all you had to do was use a screwdriver to align the trailer and drop the bolt in. He was using just a clevis pin like you would use on a farm implement. The boat had Ohio tags, they had towed it from Ohio to NJ like that, full of water, overloaded, without a trailer ball. There were no safety chains, and no lights, but lots of reflectors, all over it, anything they found and could glue on. Blue, yellow, orange, red and white. The winch was an old power winch with a homemade handle, no power connection or it didn't work, they took a 3/4" wrench, and drilled though it and put a 4" bolt through it for a handle and welded it to the winch shaft.
The right side of the windshield was tinted gray, the left side sort of green, the center was plywood with some counter top Formica still on one side.
The trailer had all sort of angle iron reinforcements, it was a pretty hefty single axle trailer but a lot older than the boat.

They really felt the boat was a real gem, they had no idea how bad off that thing was. Its still sitting where I saw it, I suppose it will be for a long time. The only change is that the motor is now hanging by it's cables in a failed attempt to remove it without any sort of hoist. The plug is still out but the trailer is sunk into the lawn a ways now. The for sale sign is faded but they keep re writing the price on it. They're still looking for $3200. By this time, it's probably really rotted, but on a cold day, the floors would most likely freeze and feel fine. Someone is in for a real surprise. The 200hp Mercury hanging there is a real gem, I suppose it either over revved or ran without oil or both, the crank and two pistons are clearly visible, and hanging at a bad angle atop the power head, the starboard side cover is cracked, barely retaining the parts. The prop could slice meat it was so worn.
He told me he needs to sell the boat to pay for the new one he bought, I've not seen a new boat there yet. It may be a while if he's counting on $3200 from that wreck.
It's off CL, but every so often is in the local free paper.

jackc10

Cadet

A little off the subject but I have been in the market for a couple of used pwc's.

Two appeared on CL on a trailer that were described as what I was in the market for. Also included comments like, "moving this week, must sell", "annually serviced" and , "have never been in salt water". I have already learned to get suspicious if the word "salt" or "no salt" is brought up. Since the PWC's were on the other side of metro Atlanta, about an hour away in light traffic, I called and talked to the owner at length. He told me how clean they were, he had bought them when he lived in Orlando, how great they ran last summer and that he was just tired of them.

I took a pwc mechanic with me. I paid him a reasonable fee for the three hours it involved. He saved me a ton of money.

The pwc's were ten years older than advertised, had in fact been serviced but in Monroe County Florida (That is the keys = salt water) the motor was blown on one, the pump on the other. The moving story seemed to get lost in translation. In fact he got angry at my mechanic who demonstrated the defects.

They were clean though.

H8tank

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I went to look at an 18' Manatee a few months ago not too far away. The ad said solid floors, solid transom, motor needs work.

That is amazing, almost doesn't seem like it could be true. Wow.

frankd

Recruit

I too have taken a lot of trips to look at junk. But finally I had the exact opposite happen. I found a 65 hp Evinrude on craigslist for $200. When I called the guy he said if I bought it I'd have to take the junk boat and trailer that went with it. I refused the deal because I didn't want to deal with the boat and trailer. Plus it was over an hour away. A couple days later I had a day off and decided to have a look. When I got there I saw the boat it was on. A 72 v hull Glassmaster. Half the windshield was missing and the hull has a crack in the back corner where in was backed into something. Nothing a little west system can't fix. The boat is over all clean and solid. No soft spots. No rot. The trailer is galvanized and only needs a new winch and lights. He had the title to the boat too! And the motor runs great!

jasper60103

Commander

Hey, Buddy. I got a super clean motor for yah!...

Attachments

• motorinbath.JPG
    motorinbath.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 0

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

you guys forget how i came to this place. Read "Kamikaze mission" (my original post)

but , with 20 bucks worth of bondo and some alka selser (Or mexican food) she'll make a kickin hot tub!

reelfishin

Captain

Although its about 7 times what I usually pay for any parts motor, the sum of it's parts if indeed good are well worth his price. A good tilt and trim will go around $250 on eBay, a used power pack will go about $50, a good used lower unit will bring $250, and a working set of OMC controls bring over $200.
Try going down to the local dealer or marina and buying those parts.
I've always hoarded controls, and lower units for motors I run, and buy any cheap parts motor that I find, but a lot of that comes from being stuck needing something and having to pay top dollar to get it. Even a bad power head will sell on eBay, someone will want it either for parts or to rebuild.
I'm not saying it's a deal but I wouldn't give away any parts motor for cheap, especially knowing what the used parts sell for.

reelfishin

Captain

Unfortunately that scenario is pretty much the norm with many boats, especially around here. Most people that own a boat figure that since it floats, it's all waterproof. They let them sit out and weather, rust, corrode, and rot. Then think their still worth what they paid 10 or more years ago.

I look at a dozen or more every month like that, some are far worse than even what you described. I've all but given up on any long drives to look at a boat unless I get some really good pics ahead of time or have other business in that direction. Every so often though, one will surprise you. Those make it all worth while. I"ve yet to find one that hasn't either been totally neglected and brought back or a boat that's just plain junk. 99% of all boats sit outside full time, and I'd venture to guess that 9 out of 10 of those are either improperly covered or allowed to get wet one way or another. Those that have been garage kept and maintained are either kept and handed down in the family or they know what such a boat is worth.

I look at any used boat as a probably deck and transom repair, unless it's been stored inside and rarely used, after 20 or more years, there's almost always some degree of damage.

The hard part is no losing your cool when you pull up and find a total tub of rot instead of that 'Super nice' "Ready to fish" boat they described. If I had a dime for every time I was told it had 'new floors' and found plywood dropped over old rotted wood and carpet, I'd be shopping for new boats instead of bargains.

2broke4this

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to throw this in... I sold my boat on Craigslist not too long ago... I put a ton of pictures up... directed the buyer to this forum (he's on here now)... and sent him to a website with all of my rebuild pictures. I just didn't want to sell the old beast to somebody who didn't know what they were getting into.... or to somebody who wouldn't finish the project!

In my case, I didn't have the expertise or a place to work on it (or store it without paying) anymore, so I let it go for far less than I would have liked. On the upside, the new owner seems to be doing a great job getting the boat ready for the water this year! I'm pretty content with that. That, and I'm not spending $60/mo to store it... so that's nice.

On the other hand... I have no boat.

-Carl

jakebrake

Petty Officer 1st Class

2 broke 4 this...TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY! i got a sweet deal for ya.

crackedglass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

2 broke 4 this...TODAY IS YOUR LUCKY DAY! i got a sweet deal for ya.

Jake - Put that thing on craigslist with a really good sale pitch, someone will eventually buy it. Don't make it too cheap,they might get suspicious and think it needs work or something.
I've listed some items that I've debated whether they were worth the effort to list and had them sell in a day, and others that were great deals that just sit.
They all sell, you just have to find the right buyer.
I had a gutted 20' cuddy cabin, with a broken transom, the fuel tank removed with a chainsaw, no trailer, no motor, and no title listed for Free for two months a few years ago, I finally put it up for $1200 firm, and got 5 offers and it was gone for $300 in a day. Put a price on something and the looker might just perceive a value to it.

If you go to buy a used car, they don't tell you what's wrong with it, only the good points, even if it's only the fact that the tires hold air. I had another boat, a Chris Craft that was a bare shell, badly rotted and no title, I pulled the added on motor mount and a pair of Ocean Pro V6's off it and listed the hulk on CL, I got two guys right away, but they had no way to move a huge hulk. A few more showed up with no way to move it but interest. I finally listed it for $375, free delivery within 50 miles. It was gone in two hours of the ad hitting the page. Local to boot, it cost me $30 to have a rollback scoop it up and dump it in the buyers yard. The driver came back laughing that the guy wanted him to put the boat in a pond on his lawn for decoration. You had to see the boat to appreciate the humor in that someone figured it would make a good decoration. I hope the guy put the plug in and plugged the freshwater and sewage fittings first.
That was a boat that I had every intention of having to cut up or pay to get out of my yard, I was ready to do so when someone told me I should try CL first.
One man's, junk is anothers treasure, CL and eBay prove that everyday.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Here's another thought.
For example, It just needs a $20 from the junk yard but I have priced it $200 dollars less than it's worth. It's "always" an easy fix.
If people who said this were being realistic then they would have fixed it themselves because it benefits them or their sale. The problem is usually the part is no longer made or available so all you wind up with is somebody elses junk. I always say well if it only needed a $20 part. Why didn't you get the part and fix it before you tried to sell it. I'll tell you what. When you get the part/ parts and get it fixed. Then call me back and I'll come back and check it out. I have never been called back.