Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Just saw another one that said "must see" with no pictures.:D

leserz

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i have bought a few off graigslist all were very cheap.150.00 or less. 5-6 weeks ago bought a 1970 bomber style boat 16 ft. 68 33 hp johnson. real nice trailer. i needed to buy 2 new tires to get it home. with a motor guide 24 volt trolling motor. $100.00 :)

Boat076.jpg

jonesg

Admiral

Sure, just that... I was never aware that head gaskets just disappeared. I always thought there was some sort of problem that burnt the dang thing or bent the cylinder head.

The volvo with alum head on an iron block will eventually scuff a head gasket due to dissimilar expansion rates.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

This one is pretty funny!

"04 Bayliner and 06 Dodge ram package sold as is.......... - $900 (Canada)

Needs new rad and grill and some bottom paint.

Full beer cooler free with pickup.

Trailer not needed.

Merry Christmas all...........And slow down........... "

craigslist.jpg

Nandy

Commander

What the "I have pictures available by request" wtf!! If you are selling something and have photos of your nice rig why not post it...

scipper77

Commander

What the "I have pictures available by request" wtf!! If you are selling something and have photos of your nice rig why not post it...

Be carefull, there are o lot of guys out there who post something that they know will generate alot of interest and then sell the email addresses from the responses to spammers. I've heard they get something like $50 for every 500 emails.

Example would go like this,
2001 21' bayliner with trailer. Fresh tune up, serviced at XXX marina since new. $4500, pictures (that do not exist) available upon request.

If you make the price too los the listing will get flagged and potential buyers will be on to you, but if you insert some sob story about how you are buying a new house and need $$ or something to try and justify the low price you are sure to get plenty of responses.

This scam is especially popular with video gaming systems around the holidays. Wii for $200 probably will generate 200 responses.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ha! Good to see I'm not the only Craig's Junkie.
"Great Project Boat" makes me run like he!!.
Any adv. w/o pics is of no interest.
Anything saying "Looks like..." is dumped.
I love the, "Boat runs great,, no motor".
32 foot cruiser,,, "sips gas".
"18' EZY Load trailer with 8 foot pram. Good condition".
"Like new 21 foot Midland. Ran great last time used. Been in storage for 18 yrs." (photo showed under a tree and full of leaves and junk stuff)

But sometimes you get lucky(?).
Must go. Boat, motor, and trailer. No paperwork, don't know anything about it. Recently divorced. Must remove before "EX" comes back!
----- now what kind of luck would that be?:eek:

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

But sometimes you get lucky(?).
Must go. Boat, motor, and trailer. No paperwork, don't know anything about it. Recently divorced. Must remove before "EX" comes back!
----- now what kind of luck would that be?:eek:

You laugh, but I have actually seen that ad posted numerous times in my area lately, a SCAM of course! She?? says to send her x amount of dollars as a down payment, yeah! OK!

These scammers were amusing at first, but are now just getting annoying. Every third ad is a scam. So buyer beware, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. I get these scams shut down, but they just pop back up in multiplied numbers, the only defence to them is to properly inform the legit buyers.

Just as a FYI, Ebay, Craigslist, Kijiji, etc..., does not have a "shipping" dept. of any kind, and does not take down payments. Any mention of this is a scam.

Sorry to get offhand, just venting ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

I've posted this one before. It's actually eBay, and an SUV, but it always makes me chuckle:

This is going to be a all out auction for a Land Rover Discovery SE7 it is a good runner and it runs good . . . the reserve is on the low side and will be lowered then depending on the bids dropped.

Last edited:

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I actually saw a CL boat last nite (forget which city) with an 80s OMC Cobra with a rusted hole right through the riser, and it said it needed just a tuneup. Dude, atleast doctor your pictures. LOL.

I am always looking for the well cared for old creampuff, or (if I am up for it) a complete shell for cheap. Anything in the middle is usually overpriced for the work involved.

I have re-done almost a dozen boats, mostly runabouts. I have learned (the hard way) that a hull is really only worth about $100 bucks. Anything on the hull that is not in excellent condition (seating, power, electronics, floor/carpet) adds zero to the value because it is going to the dump anyways. So most 20yr old runabouts with worn but usable seats and carpet is really worth nothing to me, because I am not going to throw a towel over a nasty seat etc.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i just bought a 75 crestliner muskie 550 with trailer for 350 bucks. it needs a little work (ill redo all the seats and stuff) has a mercury 800 80hp that needs a starter supposedly. it should be fun. ive modified my motorcycles and other cars, so it should be fun to do my first boat!

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

I look at CL about once a month, just to look.
But the last time I was in the market to buy, I made a list of the possible boats to consider and made a planned/mapped day trip to look at them all. They all were as advertised. I agree, don't bother looking or asking, if there is no photo in the ad.
Eventually I came found the jewel that I wanted. (see avitar).

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to clarify, I don't call it "craigslist" I refer it as "choochlist"

Heres the all to familiar classic "needs a little" ad:

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/971117177.html

and another "great boat just needs TLC"

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/970102349.html

"at this point, taking reasonable offers"

http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/969942465.html

One thing is FOR SURE, there is a wealth of opportunitity for the seasoned boat restorer willing to spend a sh#t load of money and time on "TLC'ing" boats !! :)

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I also like the "moving out of state and can't take this with me" because I'm moving to that one state that has NO public lakes. Or the "ran fine last time out" then you see the last reg. sticker on it was 8-10 years ago. There always the "never had a single problem with this boat" wow really thats a one in a billion boat then. Or my all time favorite "I lost the title" how in the he77 do you lose a title? I'm glad to hear I'm not the only classified junkie around...

lucky51

Cadet

I have seen this before:

Would run better with new cam.

cribber

Lieutenant

Here's a current ad from the Ocala Craig's List. Not sure if this poor dude got his lid covered or not...

http://ocala.craigslist.org/boa/1026493893.html

I LMAO everytime I read it even though I feel for this guy's frustration!!!

Best of luck flogging your wares...

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I love the lines about the movie star hair. Classic!