Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Funny "TLC needed" boat ads on Craigslist.

Ok, now that I think about it, I'm sure it on one of those camo boats. Still, an abomination.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I wonder if his spray painting it and the partially clogged water pump have any connection? :confused:

HAHA good point! (especially since he clearly didn't tape off ANYTHING

Yreka

Seaman Apprentice

My last boat had a "spray painted" outboard.. Almost made me cry too, it was such a nice OB.. The OB was a 2002, and I bought the boat in 2004 sp it had to be brand new when he sprayed it.

I guess the guy used it for duck hunting.. I dont quite get the logic of ruining a brand new OB as:

A. They have removable covers for such things.

and

B. The rest of the boat was shiny aluminum.

reelfishin

Captain

I know what you mean I just picked up a 2007 50 HP Etec with the same treatment. The worst part was that the motor probably never saw the water.
The guy bought the motor with plans to buy a boat to match it but lost his job.
I bought the motor at auction for a song because of the ugly spray bomb paint job.

The good part was that he used cheap spray paint, I was able to use some Easy-Off over cleaner to remove the camo job and buff the original paint back to near perfect condition.

It must be a mental condition that makes people ruin brand new valuable items like that, I have a neighbor kid that bought a new bike and spend a day scraping all the paint off it with a screwdriver only to let it rust. His dad told me he spent $1500 for the bike. If I had done that as a kid, I probably wouldn't have survived the results.

I really don't get the point in camo covering a motor, I doubt that a duck can read "Evinrude" or see that jet black motor in the middle of the swamp.
Especially if along side of a shiny aluminum hull.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was just looking through boat ads on Buffalo's craigslist... it's amazing how much cheaper they are than down here. Living on the coast sure has its costs!

What's worse is, those prices are only starting points. Expect offers of 25% less than the asking price. I put an ad in ten days ago and after filtering out the tire-kickers and low-ballers, the "O.B.O." I got for my $3800 price was $3200. That boat would have easily sold for $4500 anywhere else.

The season is short, the area is depressed, hundreds are out of work (I thank my lucky stars every day that I have a job!) ... But IMO it's still one of the best areas to enjoy the waterways on Lake Erie, Niagara River, and the Erie Canal.

Look at Detroit's list too. Similar circumstances.

skargo

Banned

Was he trying to make people think "mint" condition? 2 grand?!?!?!

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/1313533264.html

MID CONDITION, needs some work but great price - $2000 (Baltimore, MD)
Date: 2009-08-09, 2:11AM EDT
Reply to: sale-mxvef-1313533264@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Mid-condition boat....haha i really don't have any specific information to give out because I'm not experienced in this field. However i know this much...this boat is not in perfect condition i can tell you that, in fact I've never used it before (Only because i don't know how). Its been sitting out and now i just want to get rid of it! the boats engine seems like its in good condition and it should run if the wiring and all receive some maintenance. The boats driving and operating system need maintenance and a fix as well. AS I SAID NOT IN GREAT CONDITION BUT STILL A GREAT PRICE FOR A BOAT THAT WILL STAY AFLOAT AND WILL OPERATE SMOOTHLY WITH SOME MAINTENANCE!!!! this is a perfect item for someone who wants to customize a boat in their own taste or is looking for something inexpensive to fix up and use...either way its a great deal. ALSO IT COMES WITH A TRAILER THAT WILL HOOK UP TO ANY CAR AND THE TRAILER IS ALSO IN MID CONDITION BUT IT WILL WORK FINE!! I'M LOOKING FOR SERIOUS BUYERS ONLY THAT HAVE CASH OR CHECKS!!!!! *****************I AM WILLING TO NEGOTIATE ON THE PRICE*********************

**********I WILL CLEAN IT UP AND FIX ANYTHING I CAN BEFORE YOU PICK IT UP ONCE A SERIOUS BUYER COMES FORTH!!!!!********************

call: 410-960-6689

scipper77

Commander

Open season for the clueless in Rochester.
http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/1313327773.html

This one is my favorite!!, Did I mention that this one is my favorite.

http://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/1313716805.html

$700 or best offer.

Looking to sell this... bought it 2 years ago and used it a great deal... got lazy last year and didn't take it out. Hasn't gone out yet this year either... instead, I bought kayaks (did I mention I was lazy?).

Anyway, it's waiting for you, it's new owner, to show it a good time.

There's a battery that's presently on a brick and just needs to be charged. You'll need to be able to move it yourself, too (bring a car, it's heavy... it'd be a real pain to carry it down to the bay).

(I'm lowering the price on this because I need it out of my Mother In Laws driveway. This needs to be gone ASAP and it's priced to move...)

Please note, best offer doesn't mean $300... :)

3k63o63l05O05P75Sc98999e46c9148f31b3b.jpg3n93kb3l95O65Q85P8989f4328e5fc4331d25.jpg
3n93m33pb5O35S35R99891c1075d2db9e1156.jpg3nd3kd3m15Qf5R85S09893f501c2d13631bda.jpg

can-amsledder

Petty Officer 2nd Class

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/1314336780.html

CHIS CRAFT 185 SCORPION V8 MERCRUISER OPEN BOW 18.5 FT W/TRAILER!!!!! - $3500 (LOCKPORT, NY)

1982 CHRIS CRAFT SCORPION 185
OPEN BOW FIBERGLASS BOAT
AND TRAILER FOR SALE!
--18.5 FEET LONG
--OPEN BOW
--305 Cubic Inch V8 Chevy Engine
--Mercruiser Outdrive
--ShoreLander Trailer

NEEDS WORK!

I remember these boats when they were brand new. Back then, Chris Craft was the boat to own (if you could afford it). Their hulls were stronger and their technology in hull design was way ahead of the other boat manufacturers. Because of that, they cut through the waves better and made faster turns.
This boat has become a classic, not like Chris Craft's mahogany boats, but still has classic lines. I purchased this boat in 1995. Hasn't been in the water since I bought it. It's going to need some work like: fuel pump, rebuild carburetor, floors, upolstery, etc., etc.

Note the etc, etc!

And-Con

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok please post in a way that we can see the ad, even after the owner pulls it because he finds us laughing at him, and i have painted perfectly good outboards before, we had a 10 horse honda ob for one of our sloops, and we decided as a theft deterrent we would paint it so it would look old/decrepit. ran great right up until it was stolen.

TheLucille

Cadet

I responded to an ad 2-3 weeks ago for a twin-engine variant of the boat I already have. I spoke with them quite lengthily via email until I was satisfied a visit in person would be in order, and then went to see it.

When I met up with the guy, I explained I just needed a couple minutes to check everything out and then if I was serious, I would put down a deposit, have it surveyed and do a sea trial prior to purchase. He explained it ran and shifted great, however he didn't want to mess with a sea trial or anything. I explained that without knowing if anything worked, it was really a hull with some scrap iron in it, which didn't seem to phase him. I thought I'd check it out anyway.

It was described as "still winterized" which to me means it hasn't been out this summer, however "winterizing" meant disconnecting ALL cooling hoses inside the engine compartment and leaving it like that for just under 3 years.

Engine compartment bilges were predictably nasty, I think he probably did his oil changes with them.

When we got inside, the first thing I noticed was the smell... of mold of course. The whole thing smelled wet. One of the walls had a large galvanized steel heating duct stuck through it where a home-made A/C system had been, and below it an outlet-box sized hole where the thermostat once was. The cabinet top was full of holes where the power and cooling came through the top.

The front bilge had water just touching the floor.

The owner was the type that never will understand why his boat has been for sale for 2 years. "He knows" it runs/drives 100%, the trailer's worth $4500, and the interior just needs to be "pumped out".

It probably was a nice boat before it sat which just needed the interior wall fixed, now it's a goner.

werthert

Petty Officer 1st Class

$50K, lol !!

1984 Carver 36' Mariner, twin merc cruisers, kohler generator. 2 large stateroom ( one has bunk beds). wet bar with a wine fridge. Full kitchen w/ a gas/ele fridge. 1 bath shower. Also has a dinning table, and L-shaped sofa, both make into a beds from more sleeping This is a great family boat. There is lots of room. This is like your own private floating cabin. This carver aslo has AC for those hot day. This boat has a 12'6" beam. Boat and Slip optional package at $100,000.00. Slip is a 16x60 in a private dock w/ 20 other boats, yearly dues are $400.00
Note: slip in the photo is not the slip for sale.....however it is in the same dock. You will be impressed with this boat once you see it. We have more photos of the boat if you would like. You can email me at lesfletch26@hotmail.com, or call me at 417-229-3889

http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/1317695028.html

skargo

Banned

$50K, lol !!

1984 Carver 36' Mariner, twin merc cruisers, kohler generator. 2 large stateroom ( one has bunk beds). wet bar with a wine fridge. Full kitchen w/ a gas/ele fridge. 1 bath shower. Also has a dinning table, and L-shaped sofa, both make into a beds from more sleeping This is a great family boat. There is lots of room. This is like your own private floating cabin. This carver aslo has AC for those hot day. This boat has a 12'6" beam. Boat and Slip optional package at $100,000.00. Slip is a 16x60 in a private dock w/ 20 other boats, yearly dues are $400.00
Note: slip in the photo is not the slip for sale.....however it is in the same dock. You will be impressed with this boat once you see it. We have more photos of the boat if you would like. You can email me at lesfletch26@hotmail.com, or call me at 417-229-3889

http://springfield.craigslist.org/boa/1317695028.html

I don't see where that's far off.
http://www.boats.com/listing/galler...Mariner/13360961?r=13360961&entityid=13360961

skargo

Banned

I'd like that one with a diesel!

I guess it all depends on the condition, and how it's been taken care of.

RickJ6956

Petty Officer 1st Class

Look up a few posts to see comments about the difference in regional pricing. The $33k Ft. Lauderdale boat is also a salt-water boat, which will generally age faster than a fresh-water boat, like the $50k boat in MO. Also, as people have stated, a 20-year-old boat can be in far better condition than a newer boat.