1994 chris craft concept

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice
what do you guys think of this boat, i need to gather alot of opinions before i go through with it. they say its mechanicly sound. http://www.sailboattraderonline.com/listing/1994-CHRIS-CRAFT-21-Concept-Cuddy-92931975

GetAttachment-10aspx.jpg

GetAttachment-2aspx.jpg

GetAttachment-3aspx.jpg

GetAttachment-4aspx.jpg

GetAttachment-5aspx.jpg

GetAttachment-6aspx.jpg

let me know what you think.

thanks

-tristan

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1994 chris craft concept

love the chris crafts.....

thought i'd pass on the purchase because it's got a obsolete omc drive on it though.... unless it's got the omc/volvo coop drive right before omc went gone..... i don't know enough about how to tell if it is though. someone else will have to chime in....
when i was buying. if it said omc or was a merc. 470 version engine... it was auto off the list of potential buys...

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

From the pics it looks pretty clean inside, however...
Get it surveyed. It's better to take to loss of a survey cost then having to add $2k/3k for a rebuild to your original purchase price
NADA it's too much, and no trailer. I'd keep looking. When you look around at used boats, look and pic the ugly stuff. Pretty stuff don't need fixing. Take pics of the structure (if you can), under the sole and bilge under the engine. Good Luck.

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice

what should i ask for more picks on?

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice

they say the drive is all in good working shape. what should i offer him for the boat, if every things checks out?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

looking at the outdrive, it has been neglected, signs of barnacles, and growth, not removed, looks like the gimbal housing has been caulked, indicating a leak and possible transom rot.

Attachments

• GetAttachment-3aspx.jpg
    GetAttachment-3aspx.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 1

ziggy

Admiral

they say the drive is all in good working shape
the seller will say anything to sell a boat.... after all, they want rid of it....
personally, i don't believe any seller... i want to do my own test to confirm all things are in good shape...
prior to buying the boat i have. i got a list of how to buy a used boat on line. just picked the list randomly off several sites on buying a used boat... if i remember it was 3 or 4 pages long. i went through that list right in front of the seller, item by item.. he thought i was crazy as i near went over every screw i could find... we did compression test with me present, we drained drive lub with me present, we pressure tested the drive with me present... we went on a test drive. everything that did work got operated. we gave it sustained wot runs. when we got back to his shop, we compression tested again, drive pressure tested again including inspecting the drive lub for metal fragments.
i was familiar with the engine drive package i was looking at, so i knew parts availability. in short... like i said. don't believe the seller... find out for yourself, or pay someone to inspect it.... again. omc is obsolete.. look through threads here on iboats about omcs.... see what you find out.... research, research, research.... then make your move..

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice

is there a link to this check list. so you guys think it might have transum problems the guy said volvo made the omc unit thats in it.

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice

also who innew jersey will inspect it for me i have done some searching and i dont see anything comig up for boat inspection

Nova II 260

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No one here on iBoats wants to discourage you from getting into boat ownership. For the most part, the membership has been through the same mind thing you are going trough. The good thing is that you came here first. Many of us bought first, then came to iBoats AFTER we realized that our "love boat" had some serious problems. Read a the posts on boat rebuilds, transom and stringer replacement, engine and out drive problems. Soon you will find that all those problems are common with older boats. There are many good boats for sale, but by there are just as many project boats. The members here that have been in boating a long time or have or are doing a project boat just want to save you some grief, labor and cash. Send your list to the seller and and ask him to verify that these thing are indeed up to par. Tell him "no deal" if items on the list are seriously defunct.
Take a check list
another list
There is nothing wrong with a "project boat" as long as you understand the implications, work and costs involved in making it an enjoyable water craft.
I would seriously heed the above posts and look elsewhere.
Research and research some more, then take heed of what you learned. Boats are like women, they can be very pretty but, just horrible inside or to live with.

ziggy

Admiral

is there a link to this check list.
sorry, i didn't keep the link. i just googled buying a used boat... there were many lists to choose from. i just choose the most comprehensive one i could find... it was a long list though... i remember one of the items was crawl underneath the boat and inspect it from the bottom. if it didn't have have an omc or mercruiser 470's version, it was one of the first things i did... sellers thought i was crazy crawling on my back from front to back of the boat... most i found intact. but i did find a nice cobalt for 8k.... had a 2 foot crack in the bottom of the boat... seller wanted to know if i wanted to go for a test drive.... snicker... it's like no, i didn't bring my swimsuit..... ya really gotta check em out... folks will sell ya anything to get out from underneath it... no pun intended...
i dont see anything comig up for boat inspection
try boat survey....

tashasdaddy

this is my minumum inspection.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice

i guess it sat in the water for 2 years with out being pulled out and then it got winterized and hasent been put back in for a year. he says it didnt leak when it was in the water sounds kinda fishy the boat history report cam back clean.

think i should run from this thing

tashasdaddy

i agree on a 15 y/o boat, and the price, and neglect.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer

i wasn't going to say too much but then figured what the heck. well, from my limited knowledge, chris craft does make a good boat. pretty sharp looking one there but after seeing the outdrive, wow, looks pretty cruddy! don't know if that effects how it works but it sure speaks to how the owner took care of it. left in the water for 2 years tells me they were not very interested in upkeep. maybe lost interest in boating all together & figure to sell. after saying that - get someone that knows a good deal about boats & check this one out totally. you may get lucky, but realize their are a lot of boats for sale & may be many more coming up for sale. i looked at about 10 boats & it took 6 months. keep us posted.

salty87

Commander

i guess it sat in the water for 2 years with out being pulled out and then it got winterized and hasent been put back in for a year. he says it didnt leak when it was in the water sounds kinda fishy the boat history report cam back clean.

think i should run from this thing

yes, unless you're looking to work on a boat instead of using it. just the fact that it's been sitting for so long. things dry out and bind up.

there are too many boats for sale, in my opinion, to jump on one that's been moth-balled....unless you're getting a screaming deal.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

search "core sample" ask the owner of the next boat you look at if you can do a transom core sample....it will tell you a lot.

but as said here....run from the omc's and the 470 merc

twostroke87

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would definetly pass on that, soley for the engine model and outdrive. Most of the parts can still be found for the drive if they need to be replaced, but I know that there are certain parts that are no longer made, and if you can't find them you are sol. I know we have a few of those drives at work, the people are stuck, we've been trying to find parts but with no luck, if they had a mercruiser or a volvo they'd be on the water already.

The drive also looks neglected, and the seller will tell you anything to sign the check.

For what its worth chris crafts are great boats, and if I remember correctly, the bolt patter for an OMC cobra transom and a merc alpha or bravo (don't remember) are the same, and a repower with a different brand could be done with little or no cutting into the transom.

Like I said i'm not 100% on this but I'm sure its possible.

vr6t3t4

Seaman Apprentice

so i really want a chris craft concept did any of them not come with the omc drive unit?