The grey area when your boat gets stolen !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefer

Lieutenant Commander
Re: The grey area when your boat gets stolen !!!

Lurking and watching, and waiting with anticipation.

One thing I don't understand is, what gives Progressive the right to ask for your fiancee's tax return? How did she get involved in this? Is she on the policy? Just wonderin'.

Hope this works out better than you expect. You deserve what you paid for, and not to be treated the way they have been treating you.

tnduc

Petty Officer 1st Class

Next time find yourself a local insurance broker with good references to do business with. My agent knows me as does his staff and have immediately jumped on any issues when I call.

bigfish17

Seaman

One thing I don't understand is, what gives Progressive the right to ask for your fiancee's tax return? How did she get involved in this? Is she on the policy? Just wonderin'.

She's on the policy, that's all...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

The key thing your attorney did in this letter was to accuse Prog. of not acting in good faith. This could expose progressive to damage lawsuit over and above your loss with damages exceeding what they are currently looking at. And Prog knows that jury's usually don't side with the Company in bad faith cases.

I think you are right. In that simple statement, the message to the insurance carrier is very, very clear ... "fellas, if you pursue this you're gonna end up with egg on your face, and we will be comin after you for a whole lot more than the value of the boat."

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have Progressive but never filed a claim. They were hundreds less than the others. Maybe now I know why. I'm interested in the outcome. Sorry for your troubles.

sundowner205

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have Progressive but never filed a claim. They were hundreds less than the others. Maybe now I know why. I'm interested in the outcome. Sorry for your troubles.

That just goes to prove that you do get what you pay for.

I really hope this works out for you, fish.

bigfish17

Seaman

Update...

It's been 8 days since my attorney sent them the letter I posted above and no response.

They had all this week and have not responded to the letter or the phone calls. They're pretty much ignoring us.

In the meantime I'm still paying for my boat and insurance which isn't cheap. And...the dealer has tried to reach them as well because they have my boat sitting on the lot and they won't respond to them either...they're in the dark as well.

My lawyer asked me what I want to do, wait longer or sue them ?

I can't believe what they're doing to me...I am so pissed I can't even think straight...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Companies like this are incredibly dunb - I, and I'm sure many others, have just put Progrssive on the list of companies that I will not do business with.

It sounds like Progressive has only had your attorney's demand letter for five business days, which usually isn't enough for a company of that size to react. I would give them another 5 business days (this coming week) and see what happens.

Hanr3

Seaman

maybe an email with a link to this thread showing them all the negative feedback might help.

I know I wont be buying Progressive insurance in my lifetime. Sorry for your troubles. But thanks for the info.

fishrdan

Admiral

Y'all remember that Progressive commercial showing a swamped boat getting easily and conveniently replaced with an identical boat,,, I'm calling B*** S*** :rolleyes: :D

thunder219

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have had progressive for about 4 years but never had a claim. When I bought my first boat I also got a jet ski in the deal. My regular ins. would cover the boat but not the jet ski so thats how I ended up with progressive. After reading this post and hearing other stories I will not be renewing with them in the spring.

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I looked at progressive when I bought my boat. I decided after reading several fourms on them I would be better off with another company. I looked up progressive reviews online and there are so many you can take your pick. I would not be to hasty to sue them, that will drag the process out longer when a court gets involved. If they deny your claim then it is time to sue. Also with an attorny involved they might be required to send everything through him. If I were in your shoes I would be so freaking pissed.

ToothDocNick

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would give them the rest of this week. If there is no response then you will probably have to file something in court to get their attention. You can figure 2-4 days in transit time either way for both the letter and the check. Then probably another 5-10 business days for a decision. Did the lawyer send this letter certified or did he just send it regular postal mail? If he sent it certified then you can track the date it was received and judge from there.

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Have you contacted your state's insurance department about filling a complaint? (I know you spoke to them regarding info release). I would move to do so and inform Progressive of your intentions. Companies due not like tangling with the government , and, at least in my state, they maintain a registry of complaints as a consumer info source.It may persuade them to move ahead.
Ike

bigfish17

Seaman

My attorney sent a letter that I posted earlier here suggesting that we would pursue this in court if it didn't get resolved. They didn't even acknowledged or answered that letter s of today.

So I'm thinking, what the hell is a state office gonna do ? I will still call them Monday morning to see what they suggest I do, but I don't expect miracles from them. I don't know what else I can do I'm just so disgusted at the moment...

I will give them one more week and then I guess I'll have to sue them. They're not giving me much of a choice right now. They're not answering or contacting anybody...

bigfish17

Seaman

Did the lawyer send this letter certified or did he just send it regular postal mail? If he sent it certified then you can track the date it was received and judge from there.

Thanks, I will do that. I'll tell my lawyer to send everything certified if he hasn't already...

Dirty Dawg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bigfish, not saying that the State agency will resolve it for you, but it is just another way for them to know that you mean business!!

You never know what they may be afraid of, sadly they may not fear you or your lawyer but the may fear a government regulatory agency. Now getting them to give a damn, another issue. Ike

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Update...

It's been 8 days .....

In the meantime I'm still paying for my boat and insurance which isn't cheap. And...the dealer has tried to reach them as well because they have my boat sitting on the lot and they won't respond to them either...they're in the dark as well.

Are you really still paying them the ins premium?
Is this what the lawyer told you to do?

Have the dealer start charging them for storage.

Maybe $10,000 a day. LOL

Good Luck.

Be patient.

bigfish17

Seaman

Are you really still paying them the ins premium?
Is this what the lawyer told you to do?

Have the dealer start charging them for storage.

Maybe $10,000 a day. LOL

Good Luck.

Be patient.

Yes...about $800 month. I don't wanna give them an excuse plus my boat is still sitting at the dealer...

I'm calling the bank that holds the lien tomorrow...

Status
Not open for further replies.